Thanks, Bobbert. Scoop’s prognostication skills remind me of the late famed astrologist Jeanne Dixon, who dined out for the rest of her life on her prediction that JFK would be killed in Dallas … after previously predicting he’d be killed in Cleveland.Bobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 am Here's a story where he came close. It's from the 3/28/80 Detroit Free Press. It was written by Joe Lapointe. I included the whole article because it has a lot of interesting information.
'SPORTSTALK' CAN TURN TO ICE
Fans, one scoop or two?
"That's up to Mr. Lindsay and Ron Cameron and Mr. Norris. If they wish to make (coaching) changes, that's their prerogative."
—Bobby Kromm
Kromm made this semi-tongue-in-cheek comment last November, when he was a guest on the Ron Cameron "Sportstalk" radio show, right after Cameron had reported friction between Red Wings' players and their bosses. Cameron had said Lindsay was interviewing candidates to coach the Red Wings.
He said Kromm soon would lose his head coaching job. That very thing happened seven days ago, as 23-year-old captain Dale McCourt assumed the traditional sports role of clubhouse lawyer to lead an impeachment that left Kromm in British Columbia, between jobs.
Since then, on his telephone call-in show on WXYZ-AM, "Scoop" Cameron has been bragging about how he was the first to predict the exit of the third-year Detroit coach.
Cameron hasn't mentioned some of his far-out trade rumors, like the Danny Bolduc for Marty Howe deal that never happened. Instead, he crows about a fresh "exclusive": That Lindsay's general manager duties have been trimmed by team owner Bruce Norris, who is reported by Cameron to be angry that one of hockey's greatest payrolls has purchased one of hockey's worst teams.
Cameron predicts that Lindsay, too, might soon be fired even If his miserable Wings manage to sneak backward into the Stanley Cup playoffs as the sixth-worst team In a 21-team league.
Is Cameron right again? Perhaps. Although he isn't trained as a journalist or broadcaster and he sometimes airs questionable information, Cameron gets the jump on many local hockey stories because he can be a pest—an informed one.
AS A NATIVE Detroiter and a member of Detroit's sometimes desperate, always fanatical hockey cult, Cameron's opinions aren't always popular with some members of the Red Wing family.
"Cameron, get out of here!" forward Dennis Polonich screamed from the shower a few weeks ago in the Wings dressing room at the Joe Louis Arena.
Cameron says he isn't intimidated.
"Polonich threatened me in public in front of policemen, who were out of uniform," Cameron said.
Exactly what was the nature of the "threat?", Cameron was asked.
"He said he wanted to see me in the dressing room," Cameron replied. "It was the day they shaved Glenn Hicks' head. If they do that to me, they're in deep trouble." (https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/article ... _of_sports)
Perhaps they would like to trim his tongue. Cameron says general manager Lindsay refuses to appear again on "Sportstalk," which runs from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (Jimmy Butsicaris hosts the Sunday show.)
Lindsay, in a speech last fall before the Detroit Athletic Club, referred to Cameron as "unnecessary interference." Last season, when the Wings still played at Olympia, Cameron was ejected from the press box by publicist Al Coates because he verbally abused an organist who was teasing the officials by playing "Three Blind Mice."
"I need him," Coates told Cameron. "I don't need you."
WITH MORE HOCKEY contacts than rookie reporters and more hustle than some veterans, Cameron fills a void in a town In which hockey often is ignored by some segments of the media. He makes about $25,000 a year doing a show that began in September of 1978 and appeals primarily to sports junkies. Dave Diles did a similar show on the same station more than 10 years ago. Cameron admits his ratings "weren't that good last time." But he says they aren't valid.
"In one segment, they had me Number One with women listeners," he said with a chuckle. "I laughed that off—the ratings system is a joke."
A WXYZ spokesman said Cameron isn't Number One with women listeners at any time and that the latest complete Arbltron ratings showed him between fifth and seventh with the male audience, depending on the hour.
Opinionated if nothing else, Cameron blames most of the Red Wings' problems on the laziness of players with high-paying, long-term contracts. But that didn't stop Cameron from trying to get more money and more security when he attempted to renegotiate his own contract with WXYZ. Aiding him was attorney Brian Smith, who assisted in Dale McCourt's successful court fight to avoid going to the Los Angeles Kings as compensation for the signing in 1978 of free-agent goalie Rogie Vachon.
All accepted new registrations through 11:00p ET on September 26 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms
Thank you!
Thank you!
Ron Cameron
Re: Ron Cameron
Re: Ron Cameron
Just the kind of contribution we would expect from our resident “accountant.”ShempLives wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:52 pm According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics' on-line CPI Inflation Calculator, $25,000 in March 1980 "has the same buying power as" $94,921.04 in May 2023 (latest month available).
Re: Ron Cameron
I’ve grabbed my old pair of wired earbuds, the exact kind which are no longer included with a brand-new iPhone. Utilizing these, plugged into the charging port of the iPhone, I’ve been able to listen to this new (same as the old) era of SportsTalk in crystal clear audio. I do miss the podcasts of past shows being available, as sometimes it’s hard to find those two or four hours to devote to the weekend train wreck.Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 amI could not get the stream to work either on the bluetooth. I am sure it has to do with PON being a pea-shooter station. Oh well. Sounds like an interesting 1st hour indeed.
Does anyone know if Scoop promoted a guest for next weekend or will it be a too much to talk about weekend?
Re: Ron Cameron
Wonder if Ron read this quotation from Lynn Henning in today's Detroit News:
(paywall protected) https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 395662007/At the same time, consider Dingler’s last 28 days and 15 games with Erie: .320/.414/.560/.974, with three homers. His strikeout rate for those 15 games was still 28%. But it must be noted that Jake Rogers, who probably could have and maybe should have been the Tigers’ All-Star Game choice, is striking out 35% of the time in 2023 and still, because of his power, is considered artillery in manager AJ Hinch’s lineup.
Re: Ron Cameron
Lynn Henning, who's forever falling in love with Tiger prospects, has whiffed in tracking the front office's top draft pick leanings, under both Avila & Harris. Last year, he was convinced that, in the most unlikely event he would be availble, (the available & unselected) Marcelo Mayer was the pick. And this year, the Tigers were certain to be picking from among the big three college players, Skenes, Crews & Langford, with a sure belief it would be one of the latter two college bats. Ron should take note that Jim Price isn't the only one using the word "artillery."Bobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:15 pm Wonder if Ron read this quotation from Lynn Henning in today's Detroit News:
(paywall protected) https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 395662007/At the same time, consider Dingler’s last 28 days and 15 games with Erie: .320/.414/.560/.974, with three homers. His strikeout rate for those 15 games was still 28%. But it must be noted that Jake Rogers, who probably could have and maybe should have been the Tigers’ All-Star Game choice, is striking out 35% of the time in 2023 and still, because of his power, is considered artillery in manager AJ Hinch’s lineup.
Re: Ron Cameron
Lynn Henning sounds like a good guest for R Sizzle.
Re: Ron Cameron
Had a dream last night-
I had a business meeting downtown and afterward decided to take a walk. I end up outside of Comerica Park- there was a game that night, but this is hours before. All of a sudden in the distance I see an older, balding man in a rumpled shirt walking up. I’m thinking “I know this guy from somewhere”. I’m about to approach him when he heads to an office entrance. Despite distance, I can hear the conversation easily. Of course being a dream it may be slightly off but it’s something like this.
Woman at entrance: “May I help you?”
Man: yes, I’m here to see Chris Ilitch, he idolizes me.
At this point, I realize it’s Ron.
Woman: Do you have an appointment?
Ron: Appointment? Don’t you know who I am? I AM THE ELVIS OF SPORTS TALK!
Woman: excuse me?
Ron: I’VE BEEN ON RADIO FOR OVER 50 YEARS!
Woman: excuse me.
A few minutes pass. While tempting to talk to the legend, I stay back.
Woman: he’s never heard of you.
Ron (angry): thats’s bullshit! It must be Colangelo! He stinks. Ever since he got rid of the caravan attendance has been way down. He’s turned this team into a Mickey Mouse operation!
Woman: sir, please leave
Ron: I WILL NOT! BRING COLANGELO HERE AND I WILL KNOCK HIM ON HIS ASS!
Woman: Security!
That’s all I remember.
I had a business meeting downtown and afterward decided to take a walk. I end up outside of Comerica Park- there was a game that night, but this is hours before. All of a sudden in the distance I see an older, balding man in a rumpled shirt walking up. I’m thinking “I know this guy from somewhere”. I’m about to approach him when he heads to an office entrance. Despite distance, I can hear the conversation easily. Of course being a dream it may be slightly off but it’s something like this.
Woman at entrance: “May I help you?”
Man: yes, I’m here to see Chris Ilitch, he idolizes me.
At this point, I realize it’s Ron.
Woman: Do you have an appointment?
Ron: Appointment? Don’t you know who I am? I AM THE ELVIS OF SPORTS TALK!
Woman: excuse me?
Ron: I’VE BEEN ON RADIO FOR OVER 50 YEARS!
Woman: excuse me.
A few minutes pass. While tempting to talk to the legend, I stay back.
Woman: he’s never heard of you.
Ron (angry): thats’s bullshit! It must be Colangelo! He stinks. Ever since he got rid of the caravan attendance has been way down. He’s turned this team into a Mickey Mouse operation!
Woman: sir, please leave
Ron: I WILL NOT! BRING COLANGELO HERE AND I WILL KNOCK HIM ON HIS ASS!
Woman: Security!
That’s all I remember.
Re: Ron Cameron
That's funny. It captures one of Ron's strongest personality traits—being completely oblivious to other people's reactions to him.edj wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:04 am Had a dream last night-
I had a business meeting downtown and afterward decided to take a walk. I end up outside of Comerica Park- there was a game that night, but this is hours before. All of a sudden in the distance I see an older, balding man in a rumpled shirt walking up. I’m thinking “I know this guy from somewhere”. I’m about to approach him when he heads to an office entrance. Despite distance, I can hear the conversation easily. Of course being a dream it may be slightly off but it’s something like this.
Woman at entrance: “May I help you?”
Man: yes, I’m here to see Chris Ilitch, he idolizes me.
At this point, I realize it’s Ron.
Woman: Do you have an appointment?
Ron: Appointment? Don’t you know who I am? I AM THE ELVIS OF SPORTS TALK!
Woman: excuse me?
Ron: I’VE BEEN ON RADIO FOR OVER 50 YEARS!
Woman: excuse me.
A few minutes pass. While tempting to talk to the legend, I stay back.
Woman: he’s never heard of you.
Ron (angry): thats’s bullshit! It must be Colangelo! He stinks. Ever since he got rid of the caravan attendance has been way down. He’s turned this team into a Mickey Mouse operation!
Woman: sir, please leave
Ron: I WILL NOT! BRING COLANGELO HERE AND I WILL KNOCK HIM ON HIS ASS!
Woman: Security!
That’s all I remember.
Re: Ron Cameron
Ron starts off by saying that Ike Blessitt was on the show, but not ten seconds later said, "Open line here."Bobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:42 am November 23, 2019 (Hour 2)
Interview with former Detroit Tiger Ike Blessitt (Ron and Matt)
https://26533.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY ... 1618265454
At the beginning of the Ike Blessitt interview, before Ike comes on, Ron blows up at Matt for quoting Yogi Berra.
Attending to the ongoing Michigan football game, Matt mentions that Michigan just pulled a wildcat play. "So," Ron said. "I don't need to hear that ... I'm watching it, I see what's going on." When Ron noted that there was no chance Michigan could lose, Matt countered with "Never say never," quoting Yogi Berra, "It's not over until it's over." That, too, triggered Ron, "C'mon, c'mon, alright ... I've heard him a thousand times. I don't know why you're bringing that on the show." Ron wasn't having it when Matt said it was a great quote. "So what? You don't have to bring it up on the show."
When Ron asked his guest about his health problems, Ike followed with a parade of horribles over the last many months, including a diabetes-related foot amputation, a heart attack, stents, bleeding out of the ulcer & bad tremors. "Sounds like what I went through," Ron felt the need to add, although conceding his health travails were quite as bad.
Ike said that, through the efforts of Bobby Grich, he went to Mexico for stem cell services. Ron asked for Grich's number.
We get a long discussion of Ike's problems with Billy Martin. Ron was sure that their fistfight happened outside Lindell's, but Ike said that, although their encounter at the bar was a precursing event, the physical part of their battle occurred the following spring training. When the two were stopped by a Florida cop, Ike quoted Billy using the (actual) N-word when talking to the officer. So Ron & Ike have more than their share of history using the N-word in each other's company.
Lots of callers - John in Detroit, Ken from Birmingham, Kurt, Bob in Chesterfield, Mike in Allen Park, young John in Belleville (who concluded his call by thanking "Uncle Ike"), Cowboy, Warren Mark & Dale from Belleville.
Ron spoke of being approached by former Tiger Wayne Redmond at the Tel-Twelve Mall. Wayne recognized him, but Ron didn't initially know Wayne. "Wayne, is that you?!" Our paternity expert added that Wayne was the illegitimate son of the dancing groundskeeper Herbie Redmond.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
Ron, who never misses an opportunity to correct a caller - particularly Kurt - for any imprecise use of the language, said that Rachel Robinson was 97 years old & "still living."
A discussion of Pinky Deras led to Ron asking Ike to replace his missing number.
Ron concluded by saying what a "fantastic" show it had been. And how angry he was when Ike once stiffed him, causing Ron to utter at Ike the dreaded "fella" word.
Re: Ron Cameron
Forty plus years of RC defending officials and blaming over-paid athletes for all of the troubles in the world.radiofan1974 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:29 pmGreat find Bobbert, great informationBobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 amHere's a story where he came close. It's from the 3/28/80 Detroit Free Press. It was written by Joe Lapointe. I included the whole article because it has a lot of interesting information.Majik wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:09 amKnowing what a narcissistic jerk he can be at times, I wonder if he has ever pissed off the wrong person and had his ass kicked?Bobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:05 amI keep thinking about the anger in Ron's voice when he told Jake that he's treated people the same way for 54 years and he wasn't going to change.Momo wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:59 pm Not only did Ron show zero interest in making the acquaintance of his lady producer, but he twice mentioned she was taking the place of the nameless Martin, "the other guy," who was on vacation. Yes, as "Jake from North Carolina" noted, he could learn a thing or two about treating people with whom he works.
Reminded me of that scene in My Fair Lady where Rex Harrison tells Audrey Hepburn that he treats a duchess like a flower girl—everyone the same.
'SPORTSTALK' CAN TURN TO ICE
Fans, one scoop or two?
"That's up to Mr. Lindsay and Ron Cameron and Mr. Norris. If they wish to make (coaching) changes, that's their prerogative."
—Bobby Kromm
Kromm made this semi-tongue-in-cheek comment last November, when he was a guest on the Ron Cameron "Sportstalk" radio show, right after Cameron had reported friction between Red Wings' players and their bosses. Cameron had said Lindsay was interviewing candidates to coach the Red Wings.
He said Kromm soon would lose his head coaching job. That very thing happened seven days ago, as 23-year-old captain Dale McCourt assumed the traditional sports role of clubhouse lawyer to lead an impeachment that left Kromm in British Columbia, between jobs.
Since then, on his telephone call-in show on WXYZ-AM, "Scoop" Cameron has been bragging about how he was the first to predict the exit of the third-year Detroit coach.
Cameron hasn't mentioned some of his far-out trade rumors, like the Danny Bolduc for Marty Howe deal that never happened. Instead, he crows about a fresh "exclusive": That Lindsay's general manager duties have been trimmed by team owner Bruce Norris, who is reported by Cameron to be angry that one of hockey's greatest payrolls has purchased one of hockey's worst teams.
Cameron predicts that Lindsay, too, might soon be fired even If his miserable Wings manage to sneak backward into the Stanley Cup playoffs as the sixth-worst team In a 21-team league.
Is Cameron right again? Perhaps. Although he isn't trained as a journalist or broadcaster and he sometimes airs questionable information, Cameron gets the jump on many local hockey stories because he can be a pest—an informed one.
AS A NATIVE Detroiter and a member of Detroit's sometimes desperate, always fanatical hockey cult, Cameron's opinions aren't always popular with some members of the Red Wing family.
"Cameron, get out of here!" forward Dennis Polonich screamed from the shower a few weeks ago in the Wings dressing room at the Joe Louis Arena.
Cameron says he isn't intimidated.
"Polonich threatened me in public in front of policemen, who were out of uniform," Cameron said.
Exactly what was the nature of the "threat?", Cameron was asked.
"He said he wanted to see me in the dressing room," Cameron replied. "It was the day they shaved Glenn Hicks' head. If they do that to me, they're in deep trouble." (https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/article ... _of_sports)
Perhaps they would like to trim his tongue. Cameron says general manager Lindsay refuses to appear again on "Sportstalk," which runs from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (Jimmy Butsicaris hosts the Sunday show.)
Lindsay, in a speech last fall before the Detroit Athletic Club, referred to Cameron as "unnecessary interference." Last season, when the Wings still played at Olympia, Cameron was ejected from the press box by publicist Al Coates because he verbally abused an organist who was teasing the officials by playing "Three Blind Mice."
"I need him," Coates told Cameron. "I don't need you."
WITH MORE HOCKEY contacts than rookie reporters and more hustle than some veterans, Cameron fills a void in a town In which hockey often is ignored by some segments of the media. He makes about $25,000 a year doing a show that began in September of 1978 and appeals primarily to sports junkies. Dave Diles did a similar show on the same station more than 10 years ago. Cameron admits his ratings "weren't that good last time." But he says they aren't valid.
"In one segment, they had me Number One with women listeners," he said with a chuckle. "I laughed that off—the ratings system is a joke."
A WXYZ spokesman said Cameron isn't Number One with women listeners at any time and that the latest complete Arbltron ratings showed him between fifth and seventh with the male audience, depending on the hour.
Opinionated if nothing else, Cameron blames most of the Red Wings' problems on the laziness of players with high-paying, long-term contracts. But that didn't stop Cameron from trying to get more money and more security when he attempted to renegotiate his own contract with WXYZ. Aiding him was attorney Brian Smith, who assisted in Dale McCourt's successful court fight to avoid going to the Los Angeles Kings as compensation for the signing in 1978 of free-agent goalie Rogie Vachon.
Re: Ron Cameron
Will Ron use his newly “nationwide reach” to convince the mom and pop restaurant in Sterling Heights to buy advertising?
My prediction: Friday will be back to just regulars and maybe a rando,
My prediction: Friday will be back to just regulars and maybe a rando,
Re: Ron Cameron
Really Good article, thanks for sharing.Momo wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:00 pmThanks, Bobbert. Scoop’s prognostication skills remind me of the late famed astrologist Jeanne Dixon, who dined out for the rest of her life on her prediction that JFK would be killed in Dallas … after previously predicting he’d be killed in Cleveland.Bobbert wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 am Here's a story where he came close. It's from the 3/28/80 Detroit Free Press. It was written by Joe Lapointe. I included the whole article because it has a lot of interesting information.
'SPORTSTALK' CAN TURN TO ICE
Fans, one scoop or two?
"That's up to Mr. Lindsay and Ron Cameron and Mr. Norris. If they wish to make (coaching) changes, that's their prerogative."
—Bobby Kromm
Kromm made this semi-tongue-in-cheek comment last November, when he was a guest on the Ron Cameron "Sportstalk" radio show, right after Cameron had reported friction between Red Wings' players and their bosses. Cameron had said Lindsay was interviewing candidates to coach the Red Wings.
He said Kromm soon would lose his head coaching job. That very thing happened seven days ago, as 23-year-old captain Dale McCourt assumed the traditional sports role of clubhouse lawyer to lead an impeachment that left Kromm in British Columbia, between jobs.
Since then, on his telephone call-in show on WXYZ-AM, "Scoop" Cameron has been bragging about how he was the first to predict the exit of the third-year Detroit coach.
Cameron hasn't mentioned some of his far-out trade rumors, like the Danny Bolduc for Marty Howe deal that never happened. Instead, he crows about a fresh "exclusive": That Lindsay's general manager duties have been trimmed by team owner Bruce Norris, who is reported by Cameron to be angry that one of hockey's greatest payrolls has purchased one of hockey's worst teams.
Cameron predicts that Lindsay, too, might soon be fired even If his miserable Wings manage to sneak backward into the Stanley Cup playoffs as the sixth-worst team In a 21-team league.
Is Cameron right again? Perhaps. Although he isn't trained as a journalist or broadcaster and he sometimes airs questionable information, Cameron gets the jump on many local hockey stories because he can be a pest—an informed one.
AS A NATIVE Detroiter and a member of Detroit's sometimes desperate, always fanatical hockey cult, Cameron's opinions aren't always popular with some members of the Red Wing family.
"Cameron, get out of here!" forward Dennis Polonich screamed from the shower a few weeks ago in the Wings dressing room at the Joe Louis Arena.
Cameron says he isn't intimidated.
"Polonich threatened me in public in front of policemen, who were out of uniform," Cameron said.
Exactly what was the nature of the "threat?", Cameron was asked.
"He said he wanted to see me in the dressing room," Cameron replied. "It was the day they shaved Glenn Hicks' head. If they do that to me, they're in deep trouble." (https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/article ... _of_sports)
Perhaps they would like to trim his tongue. Cameron says general manager Lindsay refuses to appear again on "Sportstalk," which runs from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (Jimmy Butsicaris hosts the Sunday show.)
Lindsay, in a speech last fall before the Detroit Athletic Club, referred to Cameron as "unnecessary interference." Last season, when the Wings still played at Olympia, Cameron was ejected from the press box by publicist Al Coates because he verbally abused an organist who was teasing the officials by playing "Three Blind Mice."
"I need him," Coates told Cameron. "I don't need you."
WITH MORE HOCKEY contacts than rookie reporters and more hustle than some veterans, Cameron fills a void in a town In which hockey often is ignored by some segments of the media. He makes about $25,000 a year doing a show that began in September of 1978 and appeals primarily to sports junkies. Dave Diles did a similar show on the same station more than 10 years ago. Cameron admits his ratings "weren't that good last time." But he says they aren't valid.
"In one segment, they had me Number One with women listeners," he said with a chuckle. "I laughed that off—the ratings system is a joke."
A WXYZ spokesman said Cameron isn't Number One with women listeners at any time and that the latest complete Arbltron ratings showed him between fifth and seventh with the male audience, depending on the hour.
Opinionated if nothing else, Cameron blames most of the Red Wings' problems on the laziness of players with high-paying, long-term contracts. But that didn't stop Cameron from trying to get more money and more security when he attempted to renegotiate his own contract with WXYZ. Aiding him was attorney Brian Smith, who assisted in Dale McCourt's successful court fight to avoid going to the Los Angeles Kings as compensation for the signing in 1978 of free-agent goalie Rogie Vachon.
Re: Ron Cameron
Momo, on my original list of 2019 broadcasts, I missed one (11/23/19, Hour 1). Not sure if you've heard it yet.
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/7eb0a ... er-23-2019
It's a very interesting hour. Highlights include:
https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/7eb0a ... er-23-2019
It's a very interesting hour. Highlights include:
- Cowboy singing a Larry Gatlin song.
- Outbursts by Ron towards Matt and Super R. that help explain his outburst at the beginning of Hour 2 on 11/23/19.
- A good explanation of Ron's hostility towards Isiah Thomas.
Re: Ron Cameron
Perhaps Ron can get National Coney Island to advertise on Coast To Coast Sports Talk with Ron Cameron.