Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofan1974

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:40 am

Ed Klee wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:03 pm
I really enjoy this thread, It's entertaining and what will you guys say next,
Tune in on Sunday in real time, that’s when the entertainment really happens :)
Last edited by radiofan1974 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 am

Inundated wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 pm
So, I am actually in the Detroit area, and got here late Sunday afternoon - and got here in time to check 1400 AM at 6 on Sunday evening.

And...an awful, unlistenable signal. I guess I am too far south (and am near a big power transmission tower, which is a contributing factor). That also means that I have no shot at 101.5, which has to protect The River in Toledo.

Wow, WDTK is a sucky signal. At least its Salem sister talker in Cleveland covers a decent part of the market...
Thankfully Ron in all his powers picks Stations that have streaming capabilities:)
Last edited by radiofan1974 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 pm
uncleb67 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:18 pm
Upon listening to the recently posted podcasts from Sunday 3/20/22 (of which Hour 1 wasn’t posted), I must say the interview with Roger Faulkner wasn’t as bad as I expected. I will give credit to the callers that brought just enough soccer input into the second hour, keeping RC from hijacking the conversation and turning it into some story about being the night manager at the Fort Shelby Hotel. Roger laid back and let Ron have his laughs but also had plenty to give to the interview. Like I said, in the hands of a better host, Faulkner would be an even better guest.
I haven't heard that second hour yet, but Roger's impromptu comments during Hour 1 gave me hope that the interview would be interesting, no matter how it went. I mean, how can you not like a guy who makes light of his own mortality by saying that lately he's been "attending more funerals than weddings."
Did you catch Roger using a bit of profanity. The pro Ron is, no dump button-It’s real emotion with R sizzle :)

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:31 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 pm
Since my fear that the WDTK mail handlers would be clueless about Ron appears to have been borne out, all future letters to Ron and/or his scheduled guest(s) should probably be mailed directly to him:

Ron Cameron
c/o Delta Hotels by Marriot Detroit Novi
37529 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48335

Or to his permanent address:

Ron Cameron
c/o Waldorf Astoria New York
Presidential Suite
301 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10022
And if you don't have luck with either of those addresses, try:

Ron Cameron
c/o Ram's Horn Restaurant
26200 W 12 Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48034
(Booth nearest the exit)

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:37 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 am
Inundated wrote:
So, I am actually in the Detroit area, and got here late Sunday afternoon - and got here in time to check 1400 AM at 6 on Sunday evening.

And...an awful, unlistenable signal. I guess I am too far south (and am near a big power transmission tower, which is a contributing factor). That also means that I have no shot at 101.5, which has to protect The River in Toledo.

Wow, WDTK is a sucky signal. At least its Salem sister talker in Cleveland covers a decent part of the market...
Thankfully Ron in all his powers picks Stations that have steaming capabilities:)
I've been listening to the first hour through the Roku Audacy app on my television. I guess there's all kinds of ways to listen to that app, including from your car.

https://support.audacy.com/hc/en-us/art ... to-Audacy-

(Was "steaming capabilities" a Freudian slip? :) Ron's show certainly has that, in different meanings of the word)

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:14 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:37 am
radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 am
Inundated wrote:

Thankfully Ron in all his powers picks Stations that have steaming capabilities:)
I've been listening to the first hour through the Roku Audacy app on my television. I guess there's all kinds of ways to listen to that app, including from your car.

https://support.audacy.com/hc/en-us/art ... to-Audacy-

(Was "steaming capabilities" a Freudian slip? :) Ron's show certainly has that, in different meanings of the word)
Oops lol :)

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:01 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am
Bobbert wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:
Upon listening to the recently posted podcasts from Sunday 3/20/22 (of which Hour 1 wasn’t posted), I must say the interview with Roger Faulkner wasn’t as bad as I expected. I will give credit to the callers that brought just enough soccer input into the second hour, keeping RC from hijacking the conversation and turning it into some story about being the night manager at the Fort Shelby Hotel. Roger laid back and let Ron have his laughs but also had plenty to give to the interview. Like I said, in the hands of a better host, Faulkner would be an even better guest.
I haven't heard that second hour yet, but Roger's impromptu comments during Hour 1 gave me hope that the interview would be interesting, no matter how it went. I mean, how can you not like a guy who makes light of his own mortality by saying that lately he's been "attending more funerals than weddings."
Did you catch Roger using a bit of profanity. The pro Ron is, no dump button-It’s real emotion with R sizzle :)
I didn’t catch that!

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:48 am

The final hour of Sunday’s show coincides with the start of the Academy Awards, which leads me to seriously question if Ron, admittedly “not a movie guy,” has ever watched a movie, at least in its entirety. Perhaps Kurt, who, despite his prominence here, has studiously refrained from ever mentioning the Buzzboard (a featured player on Sports Talk, thanks to Mr. Positive) will read this post & prepare something special for the festivities.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:55 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:31 am
Momo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 pm
Since my fear that the WDTK mail handlers would be clueless about Ron appears to have been borne out, all future letters to Ron and/or his scheduled guest(s) should probably be mailed directly to him:

Ron Cameron
c/o Delta Hotels by Marriot Detroit Novi
37529 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48335

Or to his permanent address:

Ron Cameron
c/o Waldorf Astoria New York
Presidential Suite
301 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10022
And if you don't have luck with either of those addresses, try:

Ron Cameron
c/o Ram's Horn Restaurant
26200 W 12 Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48034
(Booth nearest the exit)
Another possibility, although delivery may be an issue since, folks, the place IS haunted by the Purple Gang ("it says so on the menu"):

Ron Cameron
c/o Fenton Hotel tavern & Grille
302 N Leroy St.
Fenton, MI 48430

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:11 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:01 am
radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am
Bobbert wrote:
uncleb67 wrote:
I didn’t catch that!
He used the S word. He was talking about his dislike for profanity at soccer events and was giving an example of a sign he didn't like. It wasn't a slip of the tongue, which was probably why Ron didn't say anything about it.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:48 am
The final hour of Sunday’s show coincides with the start of the Academy Awards, which leads me to seriously question if Ron, admittedly “not a movie guy,” has ever watched a movie, at least in its entirety. Perhaps Kurt, who, despite his prominence here, has studiously refrained from ever mentioning the Buzzboard (a featured player on Sports Talk, thanks to Mr. Positive) will read this post & prepare something special for the festivities.
That last hour Ron does tend to drag-perhaps some play by play of the Academy awards, though as you mentioned I don’t see Ron ad a movie guy.

I believe we enter this week guest-less, unless Mr Garza does appear via the “Jumbotron” line

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm
Momo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:48 am
That last hour Ron does tend to drag-perhaps some play by play of the Academy awards, though as you mentioned I don’t see Ron ad a movie guy.

I believe we enter this week guest-less, unless Mr Garza does appear via the “Jumbotron” line
I wonder if Ron has seen this movie, especially with William Bendix as a strong candidate to play Ron in his movie biography.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:54 pm

When Frank Garza is a guest, I hope he’s asked if he ever refereed a fight involving Lane Staal, the boxer Ron once managed. I don’t think Ron will be too happy to hear this name from his past.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:58 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:54 pm
When Frank Garza is a guest, I hope he’s asked if he ever refereed a fight involving Lane Staal, the boxer Ron once managed. I don’t think Ron will be too happy to hear this name from his past.
He did, twice, including Staal's only loss.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/485345

(I had to log in through Facebook)

Garza's also mentioned on Staal's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Lane-The-Pain- ... 966231106/

So I'd say that there's a very good chance that Staal's name will come up. :D

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:49 pm

Here's an interesting take on Ron. It was published on June 1, 1997 in the Detroit Sunday Journal, a newspaper launched by journalists who went on strike from the News and Free Press in 1995 and didn't go back.

It's an article about how Detroit became the hockey capital of the world, just before the Red Wings won the first of their four Stanley Cups in the 1990s and 2000s. The article lists the "people, events and things that transformed a major American metropolis into the world’s capitale du hockey."

"Ron Cameron: Before there was The Fan radio, there was the self described Super Fan on the radio. Cameron might have been bombastic and crude, but he was perhaps the only sportscaster in town who took hockey seriously in the late 1970s and early 1980s when he talked daily on then-WXYZ-AM. He did three things most sportscasters don’t do today: He broke stories, criticized players and spoke intelligently about hockey."

https://digital.library.wayne.edu/item/ ... /HTML_FULL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic