Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Future guests need to take a number.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:23 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:32 pm
Momo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:37 pm
Maybe Ron needs to reconsider that no prep strategy. No matter how busy he is.
Roger Faulkner sounds like he had a wealth of information and stories about soccer. It's too bad our Elvis of sports talk just pull questions out of his rear end like he told Mr. P. No show prep for this guy.....what a crap interview. Not Roger's fault. Nothing like doing a little play by play action of the MSU game while the 3rd most important person involved in soccer is sitting in studio with you. I'll give RC a half ass for that interview.
I feared this was gonna be a wasted interview. Though I missed the Sunday show, I’m sure I’ll catch up when the podcast goes up and I can hear how cringe-worthy this segment with Roger Faulkner is/was. I actually feel bad for him for agreeing to come on with RC. I’ve said this before, I’ve heard Faulkner interviewed before, by hosts that actually did some prep and research and had a some passion for the sport of soccer and the NASL in the 1970s/80s and Faulkner was engaging and illuminating. There are a couple of podcasts out that follow defunct sports teams and leagues, with one devoted exclusively to the NASL. Whenever these shows feature anything related to the old NASL, the guests are top-notch interviews, with tales of the missionary work they did attempting to bring soccer to the USA, stories of crazy owners, fans, players, rock stars, along with decadence and debauchery of the past decades. Maybe Roger Faulkner can find his way onto one of those shows one day!

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 am

edj wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:14 pm
Wait, Cowboy wants to write a book? Maybe channel 9 can interview him again, as a followup to the hoarding story.
Some suggestions for titles for Cowboy's book.1.The Angry Hoarder 2.Full House 3.Make Room For Cowboy

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:13 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:16 pm
Cowboy & Ron both writing a book?! Robert Caro must be is quaking in his LBJ boots.
Ron said that "they" keep asking for it. I wonder who that is? Maybe a local publisher like Wayne State University Press? Or some desktop publisher working out of his basement? I can't think of anybody more prominent who would ask.

It's interesting that Ron seems to have the time to take on a restaurant, if the perfect opportunity came along. But that same time could easily be used to work on a book, which would take much less effort. Just sit down with a notebook and tape recorder and let yourself go. I'm sure someone out there would be willing to be a Maxwell Perkins to your Thomas Wolfe and gather all the material together into something readable.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:15 am

Kidcat wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:27 am
edj wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:14 pm
Wait, Cowboy wants to write a book? Maybe channel 9 can interview him again, as a followup to the hoarding story.
Some suggestions for titles for Cowboy's book.1.The Angry Hoarder 2.Full House 3.Make Room For Cowboy
It might be a book of famous dates in history that's titled:

"Oh, By the Way, Did You Know?"

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Former MIchigan running back Leroy Hoard would be perfect to write the introduction to Cowboy's book.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Since my fear that the WDTK mail handlers would be clueless about Ron appears to have been borne out, all future letters to Ron and/or his scheduled guest(s) should probably be mailed directly to him:

Ron Cameron
c/o Delta Hotels by Marriot Detroit Novi
37529 Grand River Ave.
Farmington Hills, MI 48335

Or to his permanent address:

Ron Cameron
c/o Waldorf Astoria New York
Presidential Suite
301 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10022

Ed Klee

Post by Ed Klee » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:03 pm

I really enjoy this thread, It's entertaining and what will you guys say next,
I am ordinary American!

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 pm

So, I am actually in the Detroit area, and got here late Sunday afternoon - and got here in time to check 1400 AM at 6 on Sunday evening.

And...an awful, unlistenable signal. I guess I am too far south (and am near a big power transmission tower, which is a contributing factor). That also means that I have no shot at 101.5, which has to protect The River in Toledo.

Wow, WDTK is a sucky signal. At least its Salem sister talker in Cleveland covers a decent part of the market...

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:18 pm

Upon listening to the recently posted podcasts from Sunday 3/20/22 (of which Hour 1 wasn’t posted), I must say the interview with Roger Faulkner wasn’t as bad as I expected. I will give credit to the callers that brought just enough soccer input into the second hour, keeping RC from hijacking the conversation and turning it into some story about being the night manager at the Fort Shelby Hotel. Roger laid back and let Ron have his laughs but also had plenty to give to the interview. Like I said, in the hands of a better host, Faulkner would be an even better guest.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:44 pm

Inundated wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 pm
So, I am actually in the Detroit area, and got here late Sunday afternoon - and got here in time to check 1400 AM at 6 on Sunday evening.

And...an awful, unlistenable signal. I guess I am too far south (and am near a big power transmission tower, which is a contributing factor). That also means that I have no shot at 101.5, which has to protect The River in Toledo.

Wow, WDTK is a sucky signal. At least its Salem sister talker in Cleveland covers a decent part of the market...
Ron is just too big have his powerful voice buried at these weak-signal stations. His attorneys need to restart negotiations with WJR, stat.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Ed Klee wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:03 pm
It's more entertaining than the show, that's for damn sure. Unless we have an on air host/producer fight than that takes top billing, but I'm sure you'll read the play by play action right here.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Ed Klee wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:03 pm
Thanks. It's entertaining to see Ron navigate through the chaotic and unpredictable life that he has created for himself, which in turn generates the wide variety of commentary that you see here.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:18 pm
Upon listening to the recently posted podcasts from Sunday 3/20/22 (of which Hour 1 wasn’t posted), I must say the interview with Roger Faulkner wasn’t as bad as I expected. I will give credit to the callers that brought just enough soccer input into the second hour, keeping RC from hijacking the conversation and turning it into some story about being the night manager at the Fort Shelby Hotel. Roger laid back and let Ron have his laughs but also had plenty to give to the interview. Like I said, in the hands of a better host, Faulkner would be an even better guest.
I haven't heard that second hour yet, but Roger's impromptu comments during Hour 1 gave me hope that the interview would be interesting, no matter how it went. I mean, how can you not like a guy who makes light of his own mortality by saying that lately he's been "attending more funerals than weddings."

edj

Post by edj » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:08 pm

Inundated wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:46 pm

It’s a 1,000 watt graveyard frequency. They can’t increase power. I live in and am usually in the southern part of the market during his show so 101.5 is either Toledo or an awful mix of the two.
Ron can’t afford the better stations. WDFN was his most powerful in recent years and they have signal issues too in the fringes especially at night. Maybe Cowboy can get in touch with CKLW and get Ron there?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic