All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

Ron Cameron

A place to showcase the very best threads on the Buzzboard.
Bobbert
Posts: 4365
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Bobbert »

Momo wrote: ↑Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:57 pm The "famous" Ron Cameron had to add that he was friends with most of those profiled in Kincaide's book.
Has anyone ever asked Kincaide an obvious question: When is he going to write "The Gods of Joe Louis Arena"? The 2001-2002 roster alone would be enough for a book.
Kidcat
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Kidcat »

Why do guys like Rich Kincaide and that Mark guy from the old Parker and the man show bother going on Ron's show? Very few listeners and the show is all about Ron.I don't get it.Seems like it would be a waste of 3 hours.
Momo
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Momo »

It would be interesting to know how many more books Rich has sold since he's become a regular guest. Considering the size of Ron's audience, I can't believe it's many.
Mr.Transistor
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:43 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Mr.Transistor »

Kidcat wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:59 pm Why do guys like Rich Kincaide and that Mark guy from the old Parker and the man show bother going on Ron's show? Very few listeners and the show is all about Ron.I don't get it.Seems like it would be a waste of 3 hours.
Rich seems to have buddied up to Ron. Both guys seemed to have been burned or outcasted by the mainstream sports media in this town and both seem to have a common arch enemy in Frank Beckman. Mark Wilson, I really don't get why he wastes 3 hours with Ron when he comes on. The only thing I can think of is he wants back in this town/market and feels like he can stay in tune with the goings on in the Detroit sportsworld.

I'm really surprised I never heard anything on the show as to why Ron suddenly was back on the air last night unlike his previous announcement that he was off. Maybe I missed that maybe not as Ron is terrible at introductions, explanations, or goodbyes.
Momo
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Momo »

Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:54 pm I'm really surprised I never heard anything on the show as to why Ron suddenly was back on the air last night unlike his previous announcement that he was off. Maybe I missed that maybe not as Ron is terrible at introductions, explanations, or goodbyes.
At the start of the show, Ron said he got a call from the station - maybe as late as yesterday - asking him if he wanted to do his show. The power of this Board!
Kidcat
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Kidcat »

Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:54 pm
Kidcat wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:59 pm Why do guys like Rich Kincaide and that Mark guy from the old Parker and the man show bother going on Ron's show? Very few listeners and the show is all about Ron.I don't get it.Seems like it would be a waste of 3 hours.
Rich seems to have buddied up to Ron. Both guys seemed to have been burned or outcasted by the mainstream sports media in this town and both seem to have a common arch enemy in Frank Beckman. Mark Wilson, I really don't get why he wastes 3 hours with Ron when he comes on. The only thing I can think of is he wants back in this town/market and feels like he can stay in tune with the goings on in the Detroit sportsworld.

I'm really surprised I never heard anything on the show as to why Ron suddenly was back on the air last night unlike his previous announcement that he was off. Maybe I missed that maybe not as Ron is terrible at introductions, explanations, or goodbyes.
Thanks Mr.Transistor.Makes sense.Mark Wilson has the talent to work in this market again.I hope he is not wasting his career holding on hope get the same break that Rob Parker got.It will never happen.
radiofan1974
Posts: 5902
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by radiofan1974 »

Momo wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:54 pm I'm really surprised I never heard anything on the show as to why Ron suddenly was back on the air last night unlike his previous announcement that he was off. Maybe I missed that maybe not as Ron is terrible at introductions, explanations, or goodbyes.
At the start of the show, Ron said he got a call from the station - maybe as late as yesterday - asking him if he wanted to do his show. The power of this Board!
And if you remember he did not sound to thrilled being on. I just happened to check to see that they would play at that time
Bobbert
Posts: 4365
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Bobbert »

Momo wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:51 pm It would be interesting to know how many more books Rich has sold since he's become a regular guest. Considering the size of Ron's audience, I can't believe it's many.
I'm sure it's partly an ego thing. I've self-published a couple of books that didn't earn me much money, but they're always fun to talk about.
Momo
Posts: 11338
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Momo »

With a published author as a regular guest, one would think that a serious (as if) Ron would be talking to & about Rich Kincaide - not Ted Kulfan - to help him write his long-promised memoirs. But since that hasn't been discussed, & the Kulfan project dead in the water, it is YOU, Bobbert, with your background, who would seem to be ideally suited for the task.
Bobbert
Posts: 4365
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Bobbert »

Momo wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 am With a published author as a regular guest, one would think that a serious (as if) Ron would be talking to & about Rich Kincaide - not Ted Kulfan - to help him write his long-promised memoirs. But since that hasn't been discussed, & the Kulfan project dead in the water, it is YOU, Bobbert, with your background, who would seem to be ideally suited for the task.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've listened to Ron long enough to know that I'd never want to work with him. One of these days I will send an e-mail to Ted Kulfan and George Eichorn (who wrote Detroit's Sports Broadcasters: On the Air) about the Wikipedia page. Maybe that would help them start a book writing project. Their names would carry much more weight than mine on the cover, and they would know how best to deal with the biggest challenge of a Ron Cameron biography—how to avoid libel lawsuits.
Majik
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Majik »

Bobbert wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 pm
biggest challenge of a Ron Cameron biography—how to avoid libel lawsuits.
What would anyone who wins a lawsuit against Ronnie get? A free meal at a greasy spoon restaurant? A nights stay at a fleabag hotel?
ShempLives
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:08 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by ShempLives »

A caveat for those of us who like to listen to WDTK's podcasts of Ron's shows: While the WDTK website shows podcasts for the December 26, 2021 broadcast, they're not of Ron's show. The "third hour" podcast is a repeat of a Labor Day(!) show of another host. More confusion from WDTK.
sparty89
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by sparty89 »

I found it funny that Kincaid and Ron both claimed that they've never listened to 97.1 "for a second," not even to hear the Lions or Red Wings games. Both somehow know for certain that the afternoon guy over there is an obnoxious jerk.
Majik
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by Majik »

sparty89 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:04 pm I found it funny that Kincaid and Ron both claimed that they've never listened to 97.1 "for a second," not even to hear the Lions or Red Wings games. Both somehow know for certain that the afternoon guy over there is an obnoxious jerk.
Maybe the fact they don’t monitor the competition is why they can only be found on hamster wheel powered stations.
uncleb67
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 am

Re: Ron Cameron

Unread post by uncleb67 »

ShempLives wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:23 pm A caveat for those of us who like to listen to WDTK's podcasts of Ron's shows: While the WDTK website shows podcasts for the December 26, 2021 broadcast, they're not of Ron's show. The "third hour" podcast is a repeat of a Labor Day(!) show of another host. More confusion from WDTK.
I just tried to listen to this podcast of the 12/26 show, as well. For the second week in a row, there is a posting “malfunction”. I wonder if Ron-O finds out, “heads will roll” or he’ll go on diatribe about this “Mickey Mouse” station. Alas, it has something to do with the mystical, magical Internet, so it’s off Ron’s radar.
Post Reply