All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

Below 88 mHz

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Post Reply
k8jd
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Below 88 mHz

Unread post by k8jd »

A few nights ago I could not sleep so I put on the headphones and got my Teksun PL880 going. Surprized to hear some signal below 88.1, maybe 87.7? Did not listen long enough to hear any iD , just some pop music playing.
Before DIGI TV I could hear ch 6 in Lansing audio channel there.
Anyone know if this is a pirate ? I know in some big cities some LP FM may be licensed there , or just operating illegally,
but not sure if that's true. .
fuzzpower
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by fuzzpower »

Does Cleveland still have an LPTV on 6? I know Chicago does.
ftballfan
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by ftballfan »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:38 pm They do, but it went all digital in 2019 (I think) and now operate as a TV station.
WLFM flash-cut to digital in July 2020 and moved to UHF 20 (but still uses virtual 6): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLFM-LD
k8jd
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by k8jd »

Well I no longer hear any Ch 6 TV analog FM audio on 87.75 MHz ! have'nt in a long time.
Listened again last night but heard no music on channels below 88.1 mHz, BUT have not used the outside antenna to listen again.
innate-in-you
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by innate-in-you »

Another possibility is that somebody in K8JD's neighborhood has one of those ubiquitous in-car transmitters, that provide an FM signal of the music they are streaming through their smartphones.

In the Sporadic-E season, I will often listen just below 88MHz, to see if any micro-pirates are on, and to try to hear Franken-FMs by E-skip.

Many times, I've been listening to 87.7 or 87.9 and can hear many different "micro-pirates" as I drive.
User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by Turkeytop »

innate-in-you wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:32 pm Another possibility is that somebody in K8JD's neighborhood has one of those ubiquitous in-car transmitters, that provide an FM signal of the music they are streaming through their smartphones.

In the Sporadic-E season, I will often listen just below 88MHz, to see if any micro-pirates are on, and to try to hear Franken-FMs by E-skip.

Many times, I've been listening to 87.7 or 87.9 and can hear many different "micro-pirates" as I drive.

I have a SXM receiver in the house. I feed the audio into a C Crane, low power FM transmitter. I've illegally modified the transmitter to increase the coverage range. I can pick it up anywhere in the house or around my property. On the car radio, it's good for about half a block.


Image
k8jd
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by k8jd »

Easy to build a FM band antenna with some non directional gain, like stacked dipoles. Make your 10 watts reach out like 100 W !
User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by Turkeytop »

k8jd wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 pm Easy to build a FM band antenna with some non directional gain, like stacked dipoles. Make your 10 watts reach out like 100 W !
10 Watts, really? I was thinking maybe 1 Watt or less.
cckadlec
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Fremont, Mich. / Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by cckadlec »

ftballfan wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:45 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:38 pm They do, but it went all digital in 2019 (I think) and now operate as a TV station.
WLFM flash-cut to digital in July 2020 and moved to UHF 20 (but still uses virtual 6): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLFM-LD
By "digital," that means they are completely an online/DTV station now and not on the radio waves at all.

Spanish radio station La Mega Cleveland moves online after losing 87.7 FM frequency
Posted Jul 01, 2020
By Joey Morona, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If you're looking for La Mega Cleveland on your radio, the Spanish station is no longer at 87.7 FM. In fact, the station isn't on the radio at all.

La Mega is now operating as an all-digital station at cleveland.lamegamedia.com and on the La Mega 1 app for Apple and Android devices. The move was necessary because the station was actually using the audio bandwidth of television channel 6 on the broadcast spectrum. WLFM-LP, which runs La Mega, is being reassigned to digital Ch. 20 and, thus, can no longer operate as a radio station.

But listeners can still tune in online to find their favorite local Spanish-speaking DJs presenting a variety of music, news and talk on the digital station just as they did on the radio. La Mega will also continue to host events and run promotions. The station has been the Spanish radio home of the Cavaliers since 2014 and the Browns since 2018.
Marine propagation studies, Korean propaganda and jammers (8 hrs. of audio), 500+ Great Lakes TOH IDs (6 hrs.), Chinese AM TOH IDs (53 hrs.), Chinese and Taiwanese propaganda and jammers, plus articles and maps at www.chriskadlec.com • Tuner: Grundig G8 & TEF6686.
k8jd
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by k8jd »

Turkeytop, make your ONE Watt sound like TEN !!!
! with ten vertically stacked dipoles spaced 10 ft apart .
Easy if you have a 100+ ft tower laying around. :D
I have heard some 10 W ERP high school stations dozens of miles. !
User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Below 88 mHz

Unread post by Turkeytop »

k8jd wrote: ↑Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:56 pm Turkeytop, make your ONE Watt sound like TEN !!!
! with ten vertically stacked dipoles spaced 10 ft apart .
Easy if you have a 100+ ft tower laying around. :D
I have heard some 10 W ERP high school stations dozens of miles. !

Kinda think that might be illegal. What I'm doing is illegal, but no one sees it.

When I lived up north and we had no local FM, I had a 6 element Yagi receive antenna for FM. Something like that could be fun.
Post Reply