Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:39 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:18 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:54 am
Some nice comments by Alex Alway and Rich Kincaide on their Facebook pages. Also, a very poignant tribute by someone named Butch Davis.

https://www.facebook.com/alex.alway.3

https://www.facebook.com/rich.kincaide

https://www.facebook.com/butchonsports2
In case anyone can't access Facebook, here are the comments.

Alex
Very sad news to report..longtime Detroit sports talk host Ron Cameron has passed away at 79. I first met Ron when he was a customer at an Arbys in Southgate I was a manager at. He ended up hiring me at age 21 to open up a restaurant in Southfield after I just finished up college for hospitality/culinary. It was invaluable experience to help build my resume and career. Then I worked with Ron on air for about 7 years on WCAR and WDTK to help put Sportstalk together. Again, an opportunity that opened up more doors while meeting some truly amazing people along the way, like Tommy Hearns. After my time on the show ended, I was a guest several times. Never a dull moment on the show. I'm always going to be thankful to him and the opportunities he created for me to grow. Rest easy Ron.
Rich
We received word here in LCA Press box tonight that Ron Cameron, Detroits first radio sports talk show host, is dead at 79. I first met Ron in the spring of 1978 when my own broadcast career was nascent. He had a hard life, but we all know he was an iconoclast; a guy who loved being a sportscaster; a guy who managed his own career his own way.
I hope that he is, tonight at long last, at peace.
Butch
I received word tonight that Ron Cameron, Detroit’s first radio sports talk show host, passed on at 79. My first sighting of Ron Cameron was on the show called Auction Movie on Saturday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon on television stations 62, WGPR in the late 70’s early 80’s. Ron also helps me with my first job on radio as he would have me on his show on Friday morning at station WPON which I end up being on the radio station piggybacking his show on the Friday afternoon on my first Radio Sports show” Butch on Sports” at the same station in the late 90’s. Ron existed to be an original who was not afraid to take on management and leadership of Detroit area sports teams. It seems today that a vast majority of broadcast and print sports media in Detroit are in the various teams’ back pockets for fear if they say anything anti team, they’ll lose their job. Ron was courageous in saying what he thought about any Detroit sports team in the area being good, bad, or ugly. I think the sports world including the People in metropolitan Detroit should all celebrate Ron Cameron for bringing sports talk to the radio and give him his just do because many people in sports radio wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for Ron opening the doors for many to say what they want to say in dealing with the world of sports the way it should be. Ron Cameron R.I.P.
Thanks. Any word from Mark Wilson?

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:01 am

ShempLives wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:06 am
I'll never deal with my accountant again without thinking of Ron.
Frank, the best tribute you can make is to become the "Grosse Pointe accountant" Ron always saw in you.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:02 am

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:39 am
Bobbert wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Some nice comments by Alex Alway and Rich Kincaide on their Facebook pages. Also, a very poignant tribute by someone named Butch Davis.

Alex
Very sad news to report..longtime Detroit sports talk host Ron Cameron has passed away at 79. I first met Ron when he was a customer at an Arbys in Southgate I was a manager at. He ended up hiring me at age 21 to open up a restaurant in Southfield after I just finished up college for hospitality/culinary. It was invaluable experience to help build my resume and career. Then I worked with Ron on air for about 7 years on WCAR and WDTK to help put Sportstalk together. Again, an opportunity that opened up more doors while meeting some truly amazing people along the way, like Tommy Hearns. After my time on the show ended, I was a guest several times. Never a dull moment on the show. I'm always going to be thankful to him and the opportunities he created for me to grow. Rest easy Ron.
Rich
We received word here in LCA Press box tonight that Ron Cameron, Detroits first radio sports talk show host, is dead at 79. I first met Ron in the spring of 1978 when my own broadcast career was nascent. He had a hard life, but we all know he was an iconoclast; a guy who loved being a sportscaster; a guy who managed his own career his own way.
Butch
I received word tonight that Ron Cameron, Detroit’s first radio sports talk show host, passed on at 79. My first sighting of Ron Cameron was on the show called Auction Movie on Saturday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon on television stations 62, WGPR in the late 70’s early 80’s. Ron also helps me with my first job on radio as he would have me on his show on Friday morning at station WPON which I end up being on the radio station piggybacking his show on the Friday afternoon on my first Radio Sports show” Butch on Sports” at the same station in the late 90’s. Ron existed to be an original who was not afraid to take on management and leadership of Detroit area sports teams. It seems today that a vast majority of broadcast and print sports media in Detroit are in the various teams’ back pockets for fear if they say anything anti team, they’ll lose their job. Ron was courageous in saying what he thought about any Detroit sports team in the area being good, bad, or ugly. I think the sports world including the People in metropolitan Detroit should all celebrate Ron Cameron for bringing sports talk to the radio and give him his just do because many people in sports radio wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for Ron opening the doors for many to say what they want to say in dealing with the world of sports the way it should be. Ron Cameron R.I.P.
Thanks. Any word from Mark Wilson?
I couldn't find anything. The above popped up when I searched on "Ron Cameron" in Facebook, along with something from our friends at the AA Revolving Door Show (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61552769753323):
We're deeply saddened by the loss of fellow WPON Host Ron Cameron. He died at 79 years old. Our condolences to his family, friends, fans, and everyone else who was impacted by the loss of the radio legend. There certainly was, and probably never will be, anyone like him.
I hope Mark chimes in somehow. He coined the phrase "The Ron Cameron Experience," so he was an important contributor to the Ron Cameron meta-verse.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:02 am

Bobbert wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Alex
Rich
Butch
Nice polite tributes, but I must correct the misinformation from Rich & Butch. Ron did not pioneer sports talk radio in the Detroit market. That designation goes to Dave Diles. Dial Dave Diles was a one hour weekday evening show on WXYZ in the late sixties. This misconception is probably a product of Mr. Cameron’s penchant to embellish some of the facts in his renderings. Dave Diles was a class act that ran a great show.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 am
Bobbert wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Alex
Rich
Butch
Thanks for putting those up! On a related note, I’d love to see Roger Faulkner’s note that posted on Rich Kincaid’s FB page about the Ron Show Experience!
It was a good one, with some playful honesty.
I made innumerable guest appearances on Ron's show. For some reason I always felt I owed him. Even at the end when i would drive on empty roads to an otherwise deserted studio in Ferndale I would wonder what I was doing. The show would begin with its non-stop ads for places Ron ate at and I would wonder more. Then the phones lines would open and I would be astonished by the number of calls from his faithful listeners. He was a good soul and truly one of a kind.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:08 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am
uncleb67 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Alex
Rich
Butch
Thanks for putting those up! On a related note, I’d love to see Roger Faulkner’s note that posted on Rich Kincaid’s FB page about the Ron Show Experience!
I made innumerable guest appearances on Ron's show. For some reason I always felt I owed him. Even at the end when i would drive on empty roads to an otherwise deserted studio in Ferndale I would wonder what I was doing. The show would begin with its non-stop ads for places Ron ate at and I would wonder more. Then the phones lines would open and I would be astonished by the number of calls from his faithful listeners. He was a good soul and truly one of a kind.
Thanks. It was too bad Mark's voice was missing these last years.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:15 am

Did not know that Ron recruited Alex from fast food to his restaurant, that was a great choice by Mark, Alex was very knowledgeable

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 pm

Nothing in the News. Must not be any Buzzboard readers there.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:56 pm

End of the 1st wings 4 blues 0 in what I am sure Ron would have called a “interesting” game if he was previewing

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:08 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am
uncleb67 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Alex
Rich
Butch
Thanks. It was too bad Mark's voice was missing these last years.
Maybe likely to Mark living in Vegas and having to get up early:)

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:05 pm

I know we're all familiar with Ron's nomadic lifestyle, living in motels and all for most of his adult life. But I don't remember any mention of any remaining family or relatives in his life. Does anyone know if there was anyone at all there for him at the end? Sad to think that he was really a "one man operation" in his personal life as well.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:05 pm
I know we're all familiar with Ron's nomadic lifestyle, living in motels and all for most of his adult life. But I don't remember any mention of any remaining family or relatives in his life. Does anyone know if there was anyone at all there for him at the end? Sad to think that he was really a "one man operation" in his personal life as well.
He recently mentioned a half-sister, with some acknowledgment that he bore some responsibility for their apparent long estrangement.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:21 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm
Dan in Northville wrote:
He recently mentioned a half-sister, with some acknowledgment that he bore some responsibility for their apparent long estrangement.
Bob Paige in his recent pots mentioned that as well I believe in a discussion with Martin as Martin was discussing police reaching out to family. If I correctly read Bob did say they did not talk much and at one time it may have just been holiday visited and she lived in Warren possibly

Rm04111234

Post by Rm04111234 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:32 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm
Dan in Northville wrote:
Sadly I do not think Ron had anyone in his personal life. I'll share that he called me when he was being released from the rehab center in Warren after his knee surgery asking if I could pick him up and drive him to his motel. It was a weekday and I was working from home in Canton so I told him I wasn't able and to just have them call him a cab which I believe he did. I spoke with him around three weeks ago and he seemed in decent spirits outside of the knee pain. I suspect he passed at the motel if he passed Tuesday and there was no official announcement until a couple of days later. Last time I saw him was when he had the pizza place on Plymouth road in Livonia for all of six weeks or so in June 2016. He was one of kind for sure.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:40 pm

Well I posted on Bob Paige’s X account how great it would be if he could call in next Friday, he said he would if people reached out to him, though he said his stories would take the whole show

I did share it with Martins account that he ran for Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic