Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
briangoleb14

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by briangoleb14 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:50 pm

Hey Matt, you know humor?

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:19 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:25 pm
My producing credit(s) will have to wait as there was no sign of Ron at the library today. Thinking he'd arrive while I was still there ....
Better luck next time.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:56 am

Wonder how serious Terry was about maybe co-hosting with Ron. Terry has a friendly understanding of Ron's faults and knows how to push his buttons in a playful way. Terry certainly has experience working with difficult people (Mike Valenti).

I don't give it much chance of happening, but it is interesting to think about.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:36 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:56 am
Wonder how serious Terry was about maybe co-hosting with Ron. Terry has a friendly understanding of Ron's faults and knows how to push his buttons in a playful way. Terry certainly has experience working with difficult people (Mike Valenti).

I don't give it much chance of happening, but it is interesting to think about.
Unless he covets the attention Ron receives here, I just can’t see Terry hitching his professional wagon to Ron. And, as I recall, it was not Terry who ever raised the issue of some new venture.

SuperFan

Post by SuperFan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:00 am

As sad, clownish, or slobbish Ron C has seemingly been the past half century in the media (radio, television, and print publications)…AND as half-whacked his many business adventures have been (a dozen or more eateries/bars; minor league umpiring; alleged team “ownership”), you gotta hand it to the man for absolutely aiming to live his personal dream as best he can. The contradictions, tirades, lies & embellishments, burps (and probably farts) are quickly obvious to all. Maybe that is what greatly separates RC from the pack and keeps certain fans of Super Fan hanging around for decades. He’s a hack. He’s slobbish. He probably has a personal all but a few of the buzzboarders would wish to live. But it is the life that he apparently and unapologetically chooses to live. We choose to follow him. The dial also can be turned to OFF. Does anybody really listen to Ron Cameron to garner nuggets of new information about the sporting world? RC is one of a kind. If it was possible for a factual (and honest!) biography of Ron Cameron to be written, I know that most of us would love to get our hands on a copy…and most of us would probably be amazed by some of the stories (and assuredly laugh like hell as well). In my book of radio broadcast entertainment, Ron Cameron is The Man.

Momo

Re:

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:54 am

SuperFan wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:00 am
As sad, clownish, or slobbish Ron C has seemingly been the past half century in the media (radio, television, and print publications)…AND as half-whacked his many business adventures have been (a dozen or more eateries/bars; minor league umpiring; alleged team “ownership”), you gotta hand it to the man for absolutely aiming to live his personal dream as best he can. The contradictions, tirades, lies & embellishments, burps (and probably farts) are quickly obvious to all. Maybe that is what greatly separates RC from the pack and keeps certain fans of Super Fan hanging around for decades. He’s a hack. He’s slobbish. He probably has a personal all but a few of the buzzboarders would wish to live. But it is the life that he apparently and unapologetically chooses to live. We choose to follow him. The dial also can be turned to OFF. Does anybody really listen to Ron Cameron to garner nuggets of new information about the sporting world? RC is one of a kind. If it was possible for a factual (and honest!) biography of Ron Cameron to be written, I know that most of us would love to get our hands on a copy…and most of us would probably be amazed by some of the stories (and assuredly laugh like hell as well). In my book of radio broadcast entertainment, Ron Cameron is The Man.
Great maiden post, SuperFan!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbcurio/5404547051

Now that's what I call damning with faint praise! And to think Ron accomplished all this living in a succession of flophouses, without ever owing a credit card or can opener.

As for Ron's long-awaited autobiography - if a Robert Caro-penned Cameron biography must await - might I suggest an alternative if such an enterprise seems too daunting for one who's likely never read a book? How about a book about 21st Century bartering?

Bobbert

Re:

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:01 pm

SuperFan wrote:
You really get to the heart of the matter with Ron, and his followers. The ideal biography would probably be 1/3 objective narrative, 1/3 impressionistic psychoanalysis, and 1/3 First Person Ron. Like Ron, it would be truly original.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:11 pm

I jumped in to ChatGPT for the first time today, and my first subject was Ron.

I tried different queries. This was the most interesting:
You
Ron Cameron, sportscaster at WPON

ChatGPT
As of my last update in January 2022, Ron Cameron was a well-known sports broadcaster in the Detroit area who hosted a sports talk show called "The Sports Attack" on WPON, an AM radio station based in Walled Lake, Michigan. Cameron was recognized for his extensive knowledge and coverage of Detroit sports, particularly the Detroit Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings.

He had been involved in sports broadcasting for several decades and was known for his passionate and sometimes controversial commentary on local sports teams. Cameron's show often featured discussions, interviews with athletes, coaches, and sports analysts, as well as interactions with listeners who called in to share their opinions on various sports topics.

Please note that my information might not be up-to-date, and I recommend checking the latest sources or WPON's programming schedule to confirm Ron Cameron's current status or any updates regarding his show or broadcasting activities.
I'd highly recommend it to anyone to explore (https://chat.openai.com). I just asked "Why does Ron Cameron hate Jim Harbaugh?" and cracked up laughing at the mock seriousness of the answer.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:11 pm

You

ChatGPT
As of my last update in January 2022, Ron Cameron was a well-known sports broadcaster in the Detroit area who hosted a sports talk show called "The Sports Attack" on WPON, an AM radio station based in Walled Lake, Michigan. Cameron was recognized for his extensive knowledge and coverage of Detroit sports, particularly the Detroit Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings.

He had been involved in sports broadcasting for several decades and was known for his passionate and sometimes controversial commentary on local sports teams. Cameron's show often featured discussions, interviews with athletes, coaches, and sports analysts, as well as interactions with listeners who called in to share their opinions on various sports topics.

Please note that my information might not be up-to-date, and I recommend checking the latest sources or WPON's programming schedule to confirm Ron Cameron's current status or any updates regarding his show or broadcasting activities.
I'd highly recommend it to anyone to explore (https://chat.openai.com). I just asked "Why does Ron Cameron hate Jim Harbaugh?" and cracked up laughing at the mock seriousness of the answer.
My first time, too, Bobbert. It nailed it with "past interactions" as the best explanation for Ron's sour grapes. But I must say that I don't think CHATGPT could ever replicate your song parodies.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:40 pm

No mention of Ron saving the Catholic League, his Hall of Fame umpire career, or his restaurant empire? Hmphh, "Artificial" intelligence, indeed.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:09 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:11 pm

You

ChatGPT

My first time, too, Bobbert. It nailed it with "past interactions" as the best explanation for Ron's sour grapes. But I must say that I don't think CHATGPT could ever replicate your song parodies.
It looks like they didn't use our Wikipedia page in any of the queries I tried. But their conclusion that his show is titled "The Sports Attack" is very funny.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:24 am

The Michigan Wolverines are national champions, defeating the cupcake Washington Huskies. Can't wait for Ron's take.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:43 am

edj wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:24 am
The Michigan Wolverines are national champions, defeating the cupcake Washington Huskies. Can't wait for Ron's take.
Yeah, so much for Ron’s script on the gutless Harbaugh & his team's cupcake schedule. A welfare check on Ron may be in order.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 am

edj wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:24 am
"He still owes me ten dinners!"

ItsJustCharlie

Re: Re:

Post by ItsJustCharlie » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:30 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:01 pm
SuperFan wrote:
You really get to the heart of the matter with Ron, and his followers. The ideal biography would probably be 1/3 objective narrative, 1/3 impressionistic psychoanalysis, and 1/3 First Person Ron. Like Ron, it would be truly original.
If I may fly my wax wings too close to the sun, I wrote a short introduction for this hypothetical book. (Before we ask, I have met him, I do a show in the studio and I happened to meet him briefly after his show. I don't mean to insult the man, just wanted to create a paragraph for this interesting thought experiment)

There’s nothing that says local radio like an old chair that reeks of urine. To some, they would immediately walk the other direction, but I have a show to do, so I have to walk towards the smell. One can wonder where it came from, but I don’t have to. It’s the talent that happens to seep out of someone when they get so worked up about the Detroit Tigers. Unfortunately, that talent makes anyone question how they got as far as they did. I walk to the room where my friend is waiting for me. We enter the recording studio and see the origin of the smell, Ron Cameron. Self-proclaimed radio legend and destroyer of Goodwill chairs. I introduce myself and shake his hand, and the whole situation just seems melancholy in a way only an English major can exaggerate. The best way I can describe his appearance is of a used tissue. A crumbled-together form who is clearly past his prime, but still trying to make it work. Commendable, but the other half of the double-edged sword that is a used napkin is that it’s still gross. He hobbles out of the studio and I can’t help but feel bad despite everything I’ve previously said. Despite the obscenities he’s said on air, or the insults hurled at his producer, I just couldn’t bring myself to purely hate the man. That would be cruel, and I do work at the same station, so it would be bad for business. I can only try to understand him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic