Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Willie108

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Willie108 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 pm

I have an old Tiger yearbook from I believe 1969. It had Ron on it in the media section. I think it listed him being at WEXL.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 05, 2022 10:11 pm

Warriorstrong13 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:14 pm
What is everyone’s first memory of Ron? I’m 22 years old and I met Ron when I was 18, that was the first time I’ve ever heard of the legend. I didn’t believe any of his stories of being a major key in the radio world until you guys started posting these news clips or discovering Sports View Today.
That's the Norma Desmond quality to Ron's life. Having had some success a lifetime ago, he "walks and talks like [he's] still the [king] of the universe." “[S]leepwalking along the gay heights of a lost career.”

https://gifer.com/en/3402

As for my first exposure to Ron, I used to hear him on Norm Plumer's WWJ show. Then an older sister took me to a Pistons game where we sat in a row ahead of Ron, who was there with a group of friends. I recognized his voice, & asked him if he was Ron Cameron. As you would imagine, he delighted in the attention, turning to his friends, emphasizing that he had been recognized. I didn't tell him, though, that he was my idol.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri May 06, 2022 8:37 am

Warriorstrong13 wrote:
What is everyone’s first memory of Ron? I’m 22 years old and I met Ron when I was 18, that was the first time I’ve ever heard of the legend. I didn’t believe any of his stories of being a major key in the radio world until you guys started posting these news clips or discovering Sports View Today.
Luke,

My first memory of Ron was when I was a kid, pre teens and listening to his sports talk show on WXYZ. You have to remember back in those days there was no such thing as an all sports talk station 24/7, this is pre internet so dedicating a few hours to sports and I was in heaven. Ron was pretty much the only game in town that got this much sports time daily, so definitely his heyday. Then when him and Bob Page got their Sportsview today show was something special. They would rip on each other and typically Bob got some pretty good ones in. I felt like this was Ron's pinnacle around here and then he was hawking his sports fan journal and of course always something going on in the restaurant business. Late 70's and 80's were Ron's glory days in Detroit.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 06, 2022 9:29 am

Warriorstrong13 wrote:
My family moved here from Indiana in 1977 and my first exposure to Ron was on his Channel 20 television show. He immediately impressed me as a character.

The first time I saw Ron in person was at my first visit to Tiger Stadium in 1978. He and some buddy were out in the small reserved section in the right field corner. All of sudden, Ron jumped up on the fence and acted like he was going to run on the field. He jumped back down and he and his buddy cracked up with laughter. That helped set the tone for all of my future experiences with Ron.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:37 am
Late 70's and 80's were Ron's glory days in Detroit.
They really were, with things peaking in the mid-80s. A weekday radio show on WCAR, Sports View Today with Bob Page, Sports Fan Journal, restaurant personal appearances, a different restaurant opening every six months.

Memories of those days help keep me listening now, even with the obvious decline in quality. I can understand the frustration of people who discovered him in 2000s.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri May 06, 2022 10:11 am

Warriorstrong13 wrote:
Having been a heavy listener of radio and an ardent follower of the local teams, I do not recall ever hearing of Ron until about 1986. I had been out of Michigan during his heyday years. One day while twisting the dial on the radio I found him on WCAR. I was captured by the it’s so bad it’s good Ed Wood type aspect of his production.

At that time he had his Sports Fans Journal going. On his broadcast he was asking for people to come work on the paper selling ads, no experience needed. I called and we set up a meeting at his office, which I think was somewhere on Telegraph in Southfield (probably not far from a no tell motel). He mentioned that he had a former Tiger selling ads for him. I think it was the utility infielder Chuck Scrivener or someone like that. When I enquired about how the contracts worked, he said he did not use contracts, I noped out on that opportunity. I now kick myself thinking of all the free breakfast specials I may have missed out on.

There is one other thing I remember from that encounter. Now I can understand that maybe for medical reasons that a person might need to forego wearing socks, but for some reason I am suspicious of those who wear loafer shoes without socks. Now maybe it was a onetime occurrence, but in my mind I think that he is just too lazy/ busy to put them on in the morning or it is too much bother to launder a fresh supply. Or maybe the maid threw out all his socks that day.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 06, 2022 10:36 am

In a very early post on the predecessor (since-deleted) thread, there was a posting by someone who Ron had promised a never-delivered refund of his Sports Fans Journal subscription. That poster had a very negative impression of Ron the businessman.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Fri May 06, 2022 12:16 pm

A curio from Ron's past is currently available on eBay: The March 1990 issue of Sports Fan Journal. Right now there are no bidders and the opening bid is set at $5.00 with postage/handling of $5.00 as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325177731523?V ... 5177731523

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri May 06, 2022 12:52 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:16 pm
A curio from Ron's past is currently available on eBay: The March 1990 issue of Sports Fan Journal. Right now there are no bidders and the opening bid is set at $5.00 with postage/handling of $5.00 as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325177731523?V ... 5177731523
Probably a rare find, as I would believe most copies served as birdcage liners.

At first I thought, hey Ron has a new side gig on eBay, but then I remembered

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 06, 2022 5:08 pm

After reading these different memories of Ron, I thought about the memorial service that I hope will be held after Ron's time comes. People will be lined up for miles to tell their own stories.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 06, 2022 6:01 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:08 pm
After reading these different memories of Ron, I thought about the memorial service that I hope will be held after Ron's time comes. People will be lined up for miles to tell their own stories.
Unless Ron’s friends & fans, like Ron, don’t do funerals.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat May 07, 2022 9:46 am

Warriorstrong13 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:00 pm
Matt was a mess
Luke, in what way? Apart from his fanboy idolatry, I appreciated Matt for often "coming in on" Ron with his more relevant takes on the current sporting scene ... &, of course, the occasional outbursts from Ron this "impertinance" would generate.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:53 am

Our hero finally finds the Fenton Hotel

Owner: Welcome to the Fenton Hotel. May I help you?

Ron: Yes, what table is Al Capone at??

Owner: Al who???

Ron: Al Capone, the gangster. I've heard he's been here.

Owner: Oh yeah....him!!! Sorry sir, he's been dead over 70 years.

Ron: He can't be....he's booked on my radio show this week.

Owner: You have a radio show???

Ron: Yes. I have a wildly popular radio show on a little known Detroit radio station. My phone lines are jammed up every week for 3 hours with the same 4 people calling me 6 times. I AM A SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND!!!!!

Owner: Really??? Never heard of you.

Ron: Your business has been advertising on my show for the last 50 years!!

Owner (Pulling out the financial books): Really??? We don't do radio advertising.

Ron (His blood pressure exploding) Like hell you don't. Here's the invoice for the ads for this dump I read every Sunday on my highly popular radio show on a little known radio station. Look...here's the call letters!!

Owner: We can't get this station here in Fenton. And I don't like you calling this business a dump. WE ARE A LEGENDARY BUSINESS!!!

Ron: Look pal, it took me three hours to get here. Here's the road map I had to use. I'd have been here sooner, but I couldn't find a gas station for my 1964 Pontiac that had ethyl for 19 cents a gallon.

Owner: Pal, that map is from 1950. Things have changed over the years.

Ron: Really??? Well, what do you know. NOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY ME FOR THOSE ADS?????

Owner: Look Mack, we've never heard of you

Ron: If you don't pay me RIGHT NOW, I'm gonna take you to court. I've got Perry Mason on retainer. I'll have you brought up before Judge Wopner!!!!

Owner: Perry Mason??? Judge Wopner??? They're DEAD!!

Ron: No...can't be!!! And I want a FREE DINNER!!!!

Owner: OK, since it took you so long to get here, we can do that. We've got filet mignon. You like that???

Ron: No, I hate fish!!!!

Owner: OK, we'll fix you up with something.

Ron: By the way, can I use your phone??? I've got to get Sarah the operator on the line to connect me with my laywers. Do you have Michigan Bell here??

Owner: We have direct dial now. And Michigan Bell changed years ago.

Ron: That can't be...really??? Anyway....GET ME MY DINNER!!!!!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 07, 2022 10:11 am

Funny, Willie108. I think the most ghostly thing about the Fenton Hotel is the business benefit it gets from Ron's advertising.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat May 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Yes, very funny, Willie108. I cannot imagine Ron, though, finding much humor there. Along with his other pathologies, he surely lacks the ability to laugh at himself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic