Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
uncleb67

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:22 pm

Scoop kept referring the recently-traded pitcher, Lucas Giolito, as “Lucas Gio-LAH-toe”, like he was an Italian ice cream offering from one his many past advertisers…of course, Scoop doesn’t correct his own busted pronunciations…only others.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:44 pm

Ron is down to Ray Scott, Denny McLain, Paul Woods, Jake Wood, and TS Terry Foster for guests. Even Ike Blessitt, once a mainstay, is nowhere to be found. Rich Kincaide used to be a given but he’s been on once or twice in six months. I say he just gives Kurt or Mr. Positive a full hour. I would say Meredith too but she has never called.

Al Avila is probably too busy making eggs and burgers at Denny’s.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:13 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:13 pm
Do the itinerant motels the nomadic Ron inhabit even have maids?
Probably. When I was kicking around in the 1980s, I spent some time in the Clock Motel on Telegraph in Dearborn Heights. Even that humble abode had a maid come in twice a week.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:01 pm

One online site that Kurt ("the Hurt") has no problem frequenting, asking, "What do Tigers do with Baez's 4 more years on his contract, he's been awful at the plate and his throws often go for errors ?"

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-liv ... 16293.html

edj

Post by edj » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:29 pm

I just realized it's Elvis Week! Surprised Mr. P isn't down there.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Ron Cameron Sports Talk

@CameronSportsTk

Hi friend, I have a doctor's meeting coming up and will let you know the outcome. Thank you for your support!

I hope he's okay.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:29 pm

I see it’s one of Ron Cameron’s favorites on bally sports birthday, let’s wish a happy birthday to Matt Shepherd

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:47 pm

Momo wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:54 am
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:42 am
December 8, 2019 (Hour 1)***
Open line with Ron and Matt
https://26533.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY ... 1618263843
This hour featured one of Ron’s more entertaining commercial faux pas. At 03:48, he touted the “day-old scallops” of his Midtown restaurant sponsor. He immediately corrected himself, saying he had “butchered” that read. What I had not remembered was that this happened about ten minutes before he had in studio - for a typically tortuous sponsor interview - the restaurant's very own chef. Even after Chef Jordan said his surname was "Whitmore," & that it was not "Whitmer," Ron asked if he was any relation to Michigan's governor. 

Immediately before then, Ron started off the open-line hour by saying it looked like both hours would be open line. "No one's doing anything for me here, so I've got to do everything myself." Although in this instance Ron admitted he screwed-up, forgetting to put the number of the second hour's scheduled guest, former Wing & requisite "good man," Gerry Odrowski, in the book he brought with him to the studio. "If he calls in, I'll put him on." "Be sure to answer his call," Ron alerted Matt, "if he calls in." Ron thought that his scheduled guest just might call early in the next hour, wondering why Ron didn't call. 

As background, on his most recent show, Ron mentioned a recent call he made to Odrowski to arrange for him to be a guest. "Scoop, Ron Cameron from Detroit. Do you remember me?" Per Ron, Odrowski laughed, saying, "Yes, I remember you." I had thought this response might not be the full-throated endorsement Ron presumed. 

Although Ron promised he'd get Odrowski maybe the next week - again complaining that he wasn't getting any help - this former Wing - joining the likes of the Basin League alum Harry Safewright - was never to be mentioned again. It's unknown if Ron would still regard him as a "good" man.

This Sunday broadcast was also the show that immediately followed Ron's much-hyped appearance "on five shows" on Lisa Zee's fifteen-minute public service show early that morning. After Kurt had said the previous day that he would not be listening that early in the morning (5:00 am or 6:00 am, depending on the station), Ron, who said he is up even earlier, working-out, asked Kurt, "Are you too drunk at night to get up early?" Notwithstanding, Ron admitted that he "blew it," as he, too, was not up to listen to "my show." He was hoping that people would call in to tell him how good ... or bad he was. 

When Kurt called later, he sarcastically said he had been "waiting for all these new callers who are not calling." Kurt added, "How many new callers are you going to get at 5:00 am? I was a little skeptical about that." 

Not willing, though, to give up the ghost, Ron asked Matt if an earlier emailer - "George from Midtown," who had asked if LeBron was still not then the best in the league - was a new one. When Matt reflexively said he was, Ron concluded that the emailer "must have heard [the Lisa Zee] show that morning."

Kurt ended his call by telling Ron he was doing a "great" job, but he needed help from his producer selling ads & getting guests. Eager to please, Matt said, "I try."

Responding to a plea from emailer Brian - a "plea"?!? - that he apologize to Denny over their recent brouhaha, Ron, insisting he did no wrong, was showing no mercy to his recently widowed friend. "No, it's my show. Can't tell me what to do on my show." "Let sleeping dogs lie," Ron said, "that's all I'll say about that."

Other than Kurt, Ron's callers were Mr. Positive, Cowboy & Keith (who corrected Ron when he called him Cowboy).

Matt was surprised that Cowboy didn't bring up that this show fell on what would have been Jim Morrison's 76th birthday. "Well this is a sports show," said the Amos & Andy-quoting, Bea Arthur-obsessed, '70s game show enthusiast Ron. Same thing when Matt pointed out that John Lennon was killed on that day in history. When Matt tried to shoehorn Lennon's death into the sportsworld by noting it was announced on a nationally televised NFL game, Ron was no more charitable. "It's really not sports."

Matt closed things out by pointing out how impressive it was that Michigan, MSU, Eastern, Western & Central Michigan were all in bowl games. "Yeah, yeah, it is," Ron replied. "I give them the kudoos ... let's give the kudoos."  

***Bobbert, the link you provided for the 2nd hour of the 12/7 show was the same link for the 1st hour of that show.
Mr. Positive mentions that he too missed Ron's heavily promoted radio appearance that morning, then struggles to say what he means: "I was looking forward to getting up with you, uh, I mean not with you obviously," leading to some nervous laughter from both him and Ron.

Later, Mr. P says, "It sickens me when you go to social media, and, people, what they say, it's so negative, let me tell you, can't tell you who, I just wish I knew them, I wish I could talk to them personally." Was this before he became a convert to our Buzzboard discussion?

Ron asks Cowboy if he stays in touch with his "cousin" Ferguson Jenkins, whose 77th birthday was in a few days. Cowboy replies, "No, I don't know how to get hold of him—he's in Oklahoma," which raised all sorts of questions about Oklahoma's place in the communication network of the United States.

Cowboy makes another mysterious comment when he says that he appears in a book by a "famous" author who is giving Cowboy advice on a book that Cowboy wants to write.

The conversation with Cowboy also brought up the name of an old hockey player named Guyle Fielder, who played 1368 games in the minor leagues and nine games in the NHL (six with Detroit). He's still alive at the age of 92. Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Ron Cameron interview.

Chef Jordan mentions that the annual Noël Night in midtown Detroit the previous evening helped business at his restaurant. He's then stunned into temporary silence when Ron launches into an off-key rendition of "Noël, Noël."

Matt announces that former UM coach Bump Elliott just died, to which Ron immediately responds, "I had him on last year." Then Ron, with some disappointment in his voice, says, "I guess it was two years ago." Ron interviewed him on 2/12/17: https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... lliott.mp3

Ron reads a bunch of football scores, reminding us of how lucky we are that his new Sunday time slot is now before most of the Sunday football games. But we do have commentary on the London NFL games to look forward to: https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/america ... wnnt5npcds

Ron seemed a little subdued, and even showed a little courtesy to his callers, and some civility towards Matt, whose interjections were not met with the usual outbursts of anger from Ron.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:13 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:47 pm

The conversation with Cowboy also brought up the name of an old hockey player named Guyle Fielder, who played 1368 games in the minor leagues and nine games in the NHL (six with Detroit). He's still alive at the age of 92. Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Ron Cameron interview.
what does the future hold for Guyle Fielder?

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:10 pm

asking for a friend...how much Ron gotta pay to be on espn 910 WFDF....

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:49 pm

make that FOX Sports RADIO now on 910

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:57 am

Sad day for Ron and Windsor Dave—Combero hit his second home run of the year last night.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 am

edj wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:18 pm
Ron Cameron Sports Talk

@CameronSportsTk

Hi friend, I have a doctor's meeting coming up and will let you know the outcome. Thank you for your support!

I hope he's okay.
Good for him (as Ron might say).

It's good to see that he's taking steps with this. This would be a good time to have the surgery, before the fall sports season starts and the big convergence of the four major pro sports in October.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:08 am

fairbankshockeypuck wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:49 pm
make that FOX Sports RADIO now on 910
That’s interesting on the sports switch to fox from ESPN , rumor has it that it will be moving to conservative talk. For what it’s worth when Ron was asked about the 910 switch and Ron said he would not be going there. Though in Ron’s world never say never

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:50 am

It always cracks me up when our hero says "That team is spending money like a drunken sailor".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic