Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reagan sends Trump a cease and desist

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Reagan sends Trump a cease and desist

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:45 am

Looks like Trump has lost another endorsement...
The Reagan Foundation has told the Trump campaign and Republican National Committee to stop using the image of the ex-president and conservative icon Ronald Reagan in a fundraising drive.

The request comes after Trump Make America Great Again Committee, a joint RNC and Trump campaign fundraising committee, offered a set of commemorative coins, to supporters donating more than $45. They were embossed with President Ronald Reagan's image on one side and President Donald Trump's on the other.

The request from the foundation to cease using Reagan's image in the fundraising drive was first reported by Washington Post columnist Karen Tumulty on Saturday.

Reagan Foundation Chief Marketing Officer Melissa Giller confirmed the request in a statement to The Hill.

"We own the likeness of President Reagan and they used his image for the coin without our consent. We called the RNC and asked them to cease and desist the use of Pres Reagan on the coin and they agreed," Giller said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... b-enus-280

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14896

Re: Reagan sends Trump a cease and desist

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm

I'm curious how you can "trademark" a picture of someone? The foundation says they "own" Ronnie's likeness.
How can they own an image that everyone can find thousands of pictures of on the internet?
The Red Hat Society is just using the picture. From what you posted, Ronald himself hasn't endorsed Trump.
It seems to me Trump and Company could legally tell the Reagan Society to pack sand.

I wonder if Liberty Mutual asked the U.S. Park Service for permission to have Lady Liberty appear in their ads.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm
I'm curious how you can "trademark" a picture of someone? The foundation says they "own" Ronnie's likeness.
How can they own an image that everyone can find thousands of pictures of on the internet?
The Red Hat Society is just using the picture. From what you posted, Ronald himself hasn't endorsed Trump.
It seems to me Trump and Company could legally tell the Reagan Society to pack sand.

I wonder if Liberty Mutual asked the U.S. Park Service for permission to have Lady Liberty appear in their ads.
Welcome to the fascinating and lucrative world of intellectual property law...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:

Never thought I'd ever see Ronald Reagan's name and "intellectual" appear in the same posting together.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:38 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:

Never thought I'd ever see Ronald Reagan's name and "intellectual" appear in the same posting together.
Ha. Yes, only in the legal sense. You'll be relieved to know a chimpanzee was also party to an IP legal dispute, so there ya' go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_se ... ht_dispute

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
They probably did/do.

If you photograph or video Walt Disney World signage from a public street, you better blur it out.

There are law firms who work on contingency to sue for all kinds of IP. I remember a VW club was sued for $10,000 for selling t-shirts with the vw logo on it. This was for a group of VW advocates!
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:13 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
They probably did/do.

If you photograph or video Walt Disney World signage from a public street, you better blur it out.

There are law firms who work on contingency to sue for all kinds of IP. I remember a VW club was sued for $10,000 for selling t-shirts with the vw logo on it. This was for a group of VW advocates!
Our son is in a VW Club. They always slightly alter the logo in some way to get away with it.

You would think that VW would appreciate the free promotion by a group of enthusiasts.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:13 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
They probably did/do.

Our son is in a VW Club. They always slightly alter the logo in some way to get away with it.

You would think that VW would appreciate the free promotion by a group of enthusiasts.
Not if it means leaving a nickle on the table that could have gone into their or someone that paid big bucks to license the logo's pocket. Although to be fair, some of that may come from the same reason most businesses frown on their employees walking into strip clubs wearing the company uniform. Detrimental imaging and such, but it usually boils down to cash.

I got to know a couple of IP lawyers on and off over the years and it's a fascinating field of law.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Ford has been the complete opposite and it has paid off for loyality.
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm
TC:

MSN......??? Mainly Swamp News
You're so clever.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm
TC:

MSN......??? Mainly Swamp News
You're so clever.
And we can always count on his expert analysis of these complex issues as a bonus.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm
RT:

Definitely can NOT count on yours.
Actually you can but have it your way:
🤡

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic