Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

For the first time ever, Twitter fact-checks the President

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: For the first time ever, Twitter fact-checks the President

Post by Rate This » Fri May 29, 2020 1:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 pm
What Twitter is doing is very unwise. Allow the other users of Twitter to rebut Trump's bullshit. There is no reason for the company itself to jump into the fracas.

If they fact check Trump, they should fact check all elected officials who hold federal office. I doubt Twitter will, though. They are going to open themselves to some bad publicity, not to mention legal risk.
From what exactly? You realize Trump trying to claim libel or slander would be an incredibly hard thing to win as the standard for public figures is extraordinarily high right?

Also if you or I tweeted what Trump did last night we’d have been immediately booted.

Ultimately since Twitter is private and can do whatever they want with their platform the onus is on Trump to stop using it and start saying his tweets in front of a camera in a daily briefing. Short of that he could try to be more of an adult. He could try to give a press conference like the Governor of Minnesota just did and articulately explain himself and he might actually get somewhere. Instead he comes up with “when the looting starts the shooting starts”...

screen glare

Re: For the first time ever, Twitter fact-checks the President

Post by screen glare » Sat May 30, 2020 9:27 am

And when he realized that line - like his wacko line about injecting sanitizers - could cause him to not be reelected - what did he do the next day? He read a prepared statement live on screens from the flag-bedecked Rose Garden with his cabinet heads flanking him - all about China! Trying to get the press to focus on a new “more important looking” topic.

Trying to redirect. Trying to distract from his “self-caused no way to fix” crazy hare-brained mess.

His pattern.

And because it IS his pattern - not press nor public saw it that way. The old “boy who cried wolf” routine which he has associated with himself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic