Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:07 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04 pm
Using your own assumptive logic, all of the activities that involves stay-in-place have worked to create a very low death rate. So the further that logic, following the same safe science and data-driven process on the downside of the Apex would be prudent, correct?

Because if you just acknowledge that 60000 is a success, we should keep doing what has been successful.

Thank you for supporting the scientific approach. Keeping the economy closed has not produced massive deaths. If anything, car accidents are down, shootings are down, crime is down.
It's like he's jumped from a plane. A parachute is taking him to a safe landing. So he says to himself, "This isn't bad. I can take the parachute off now"
Even more stark, it's like getting a whopping case of gonorrhea and when after three days of taking penicillin on a 14 day prescription your dick stops dripping you decide it's OK to go out and start fucking again...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:43 pm

From Today’s Washington Post... The CDC Director is warning that the fall/winter with flu and corona on top of each other is going to be especially bad:

Even as states move ahead with plans to reopen their economies, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Tuesday that a second wave of the novel coronavirus will be far more dire because it is likely to coincide with the start of flu season.

“There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through,” CDC Director Robert Redfield said in an interview with The Washington Post.

“And when I’ve said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don’t understand what I mean.”

“We’re going to have the flu epidemic and the coronavirus epidemic at the same time,” Redfield said, and two such simultaneous respiratory outbreaks would put unimaginable strain on the health-care system. The first wave of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, has already killed more than 42,000 people across the country. It has overwhelmed hospitals and revealed gaping shortages in test kits, ventilators and protective equipment for health-care workers.

In a wide-ranging interview, Redfield said federal and state officials need to use the coming months to prepare for what lies ahead. As stay-at-home orders are lifted, officials need to stress the continued importance of social distancing, he said. They also need to massively scale up their ability to identify the infected through testing and find everyone they interact with through contact tracing. Doing so prevents new cases from becoming larger outbreaks.

Asked about the appropriateness of protests against stay-at-home orders and calls on states to be “liberated” from restrictions, Redfield said: “It’s not helpful.”

He, along with members of the White House coronavirus task force, have emphasized the importance of social distancing “and the enormous impact that it’s had on this outbreak in our nation," he said.

As part of the White House guidelines released last week for a gradual reopening of the country, testing by CDC teams is already underway in nursing homes in four states for asymptomatic cases. The four states are Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota and Tennessee.

The CDC has also drafted detailed guidance for state and local governments on how they can ease mitigation efforts, moving from drastic restrictions such as stay-at-home orders in a phased way to support a safe reopening. Redfield said that guidance will be “in the public domain shortly.”

The CDC has about 500 staff in the states working on a variety of public health issues, and most will pivot to the covid-19 response, Redfield said. CDC also plans to hire at least another 650 personnel as experts to “substantially augment” public health personnel in the states and assist with contact tracing, among other tasks, he said.
But he acknowledged a much larger workforce is needed. Redfield said the agency is talking with state officials about the possibility of using Census Bureau workers and Peace Corps and AmeriCorps volunteers to build “an alternative workforce.”
The Census Bureau had earlier suspended field operations because of the pandemic and census personnel are already located in every jurisdiction, Redfield said. If there is an agreement to use census workers, they could be trained “to be part of a comprehensive contact tracing effort,” he said.

“These are all discussions that are going on to try to determine what is the optimal strategy to be used,” he said. “And it may be some combination of all three.”

Former CDC director Tom Frieden has estimated that as many as 300,000 contact tracers would be needed in the United States. The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials — which represents state health departments — estimate 100,000 more contact tracers are needed than are in the states now and call for $3.6 billion in emergency funding from Congress.

In the summer months, U.S. health officials need to persuade Americans to think ahead to the fall and the importance of getting flu shots. That way, public health officials can minimize the number of people hospitalized from flu. Getting a flu vaccination, Redfield said, “may allow there to be a hospital bed available for your mother or grandmother that may get coronavirus.”

Luckily, the arrival of the novel coronavirus in the United States came as the regular flu season was waning, he said. By itself, a severe influenza season can strain hospitals and clinics.

If the first wave of the coronavirus outbreak and flu season had peaked at the same time, he said, “it could have been really, really, really, really difficult in terms of health capacity.”

During the 2009 H1N1 swine flu pandemic, the United States experienced the first wave of cases in the spring, followed by a second, larger wave in the fall and winter, during flu season.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Here we go - another massive antibodies study. This time New York state.

The results? 13.9% of people across the entire state have had the virus. That is 2.7 million people.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/healt ... 175dfe3399

That amounts to roughly 10x the reported infection rate of 263,000 people and also cuts the mortality to about 0.5%.

Given what we've now found in Los Angeles and New York, can somebody explain to me how the REPORTED cases are useful for figuring out much of anything?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:35 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Here we go - another massive antibodies study. This time New York state.

The results? 13.9% of people across the entire state have had the virus. That is 2.7 million people.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/healt ... 175dfe3399

That amounts to roughly 10x the reported infection rate of 263,000 people and also cuts the mortality to about 0.5%.

Given what we've now found in Los Angeles and New York, can somebody explain to me how the REPORTED cases are useful for figuring out much of anything?
3000 people in a state as big as New York? Do another 8-10 of those and get back to us. If you believe this without question then stop bashing polls.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:40 pm

You're arguing with someone with a background in statistical analysis. 3000 people is a large enough sample to get reasonably reliable results. The only issue is that it wasn't a truly random sample. Nevertheless, the results are right in line with every other study of this type I've seen conducted - that being that only about 10% of infections are being reported.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:40 pm
You're arguing with someone with a background in statistical analysis. 3000 people is a large enough sample to get reasonably reliable results. The only issue is that it wasn't a truly random sample. Nevertheless, the results are right in line with every other study of this type I've seen conducted - that being that only about 10% of infections are being reported.
And that’s fine, but we really need several truly random samples to be absolutely sure of the infection rate. And id like to see the samples scaled up and consistently stay at that percentage no matter the sample size. You essentially have to check it several times at different levels and not just once and declare that this is the rate end of story.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 05, 2020 9:16 pm

I don't like this new life we're living, but it's a life

I suppose I should, but I don't even think about the possibility of contracting the virus. My greatest risk factors are my age and a couple of preexisting conditions. I have advantages that might outweigh those risks. I'm white. I'm not in a nursing home. I'm not in a prison. And I'm not living in poverty.

Crossing my fingers.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:52 am

Bump.

Interesting to re-read this thread now.
The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:01 am

I know my opinion of Covid-19 has changed drastically since it was in its infancy. I've seen the impact and I believe. Unless people are willing to take the necessary actions this is going to be around for a long time to come. Nobody wants to give up anything temporarily to get this virus under control. One can't have their cake and eat it too.
Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:52 am
Bump.

Interesting to re-read this thread now.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:05 pm

I'd say about 6. Ontario is well into it's second wave and it's about ten times worse than it was last spring.

We're reasonably confident that we won't contract the disease because we are cautious. We only go out to do necessary shopping and all of the stores enforce masking and social distancing rules.

We've spoken with both of our sons, who live within two hours of here and we've all agreed we will not be getting together at all over Christmas
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Still 0.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:34 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:28 pm
Still 0.
Still a douchebag.
The censorship king from out of state.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Because I don’t believe in fear mongers? Studies show I am more likely to die in a car crash, so I guess I should never drive or ride in a car the rest of my life? Has your idol Newsom gone to any more parties recently? What about the San Jose mayor?

Aren’t you still in California? Why do you continue to hang out on a Michigan broadcasting board?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Honeyman specifically said Newsom is being idiotic. I haven't seen anyone on this board that agrees with curfews. I know I don't.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:41 pm
Honeyman specifically said Newsom is being idiotic. I haven't seen anyone on this board that agrees with curfews. I know I don't.
Newsom is shutting down most everything, not just issuing curfews. That’s what DeWine (a Republican) has done, and I don’t support that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic