Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Roe v. Wade on the verge of being overturned?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Roe v. Wade on the verge of being overturned?

Post by bmw » Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 pm

What restrictions are you talking about? As it stands right now, everyone still has the right to an abortion. Roe has not yet been overturned.

And even if it is, tell me which states where it will then be illegal to have an abortion in the instances of non-consensual intercourse?

Moreover, between now and then, Congress could nuke the filabuster and pass into federal law the same protections currently contained in Roe. If they choose not to do so, it would be only because they think this is a political winner for them come November.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 3:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:00 pm
What restrictions are you talking about? As it stands right now, everyone still has the right to an abortion. Roe has not yet been overturned.

And even if it is, tell me which states where it will then be illegal to have an abortion in the instances of non-consensual intercourse?

Moreover, between now and then, Congress could nuke the filabuster and pass into federal law the same protections currently contained in Roe. If they choose not to do so, it would be only because they think this is a political winner for them come November.
So it really comes down to politics. So much for all that fire and brimstone rightlessness about the fetus, all you guys care about is sticking it to the libs. Nice legacy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 03, 2022 3:20 pm

I'm just stating the realities of what may or may not happen. I didn't state an opinion on any of it.

For what it's worth, it is my belief that restrictions on abortions should be set exclusively at the federal level. The weighing of a woman's right to choose against whatever rights a fetus may have should be decided federally and applied uniform across all 50 states. I am pro-life, but I also recognize that criminalizing abortions is not necessarily the solution. All that said, I do find the pro-choice position, insofar as it is rooted in the belief that the government has no business what goes on inside your body, to be highly hypocritical for those who have no qualms with government-mandated vaccinations.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:12 pm
bmw wrote:

So it really comes down to politics. So much for all that fire and brimstone rightlessness about the fetus, all you guys care about is sticking it to the libs. Nice legacy.
The release of the draft was absolutely political. I can't imagine this will be released until later in June, when big decisions come down.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 3:52 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:20 pm
I'm just stating the realities of what may or may not happen. I didn't state an opinion on any of it.

For what it's worth, it is my belief that restrictions on abortions should be set exclusively at the federal level. The weighing of a woman's right to choose against whatever rights a fetus may have should be decided federally and applied uniform across all 50 states. I am pro-life, but I also recognize that criminalizing abortions is not necessarily the solution. All that said, I do find the pro-choice position, insofar as it is rooted in the belief that the government has no business what goes on inside your body, to be highly hypocritical for those who have no qualms with government-mandated vaccinations.
There were no federal mandated vaccinations. This from the CDC:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard applies to all employers with 100+ employees and requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested on a weekly basis and to have a negative test before coming to work.

So if you have an issue with that perhaps take it up with entities that were mandating it such as state, local and business interests, but I'll play your game, how is it you reconcile being against "invasive" vaccination and the invasiveness of government having a say in reproductive rights. The hypocritical cuts both ways.

Also, if you want to equate taking a jab with being compelled to raise a child to the age of emancipation it's certainly within your rights. Speaking of rights, what of all the chatter about state's rights when you seem to find it acceptable to make this issue the exception? Disingenuous at best.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 3:52 pm
There were no federal mandated vaccinations. This from the CDC:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard applies to all employers with 100+ employees and requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested on a weekly basis and to have a negative test before coming to work.
There absolutely were (and still are) federal vaccine mandates. For healthcare works. For federal employees. For military members.

That aside, my point was that those who are vehemently opposed to abortion regulations SUPPORT IN PRINCIPLE government-mandated vaccines for everyone. Numerous polls show this. Hell, a poll last year showed that the majority of Democrats favored CRIMINALIZING the act of simply publicly questioning vaccine efficacy.
...how is it you reconcile being against "invasive" vaccination and the invasiveness of government having a say in reproductive rights. The hypocritical cuts both ways.
You must have missed the part where I said "consensual." Pregnancy doesn't happen by magic. In the instance where you consensually engage in the very behavior that leads to you getting pregnant, you take on the responsibility that comes from any consequences of your actions.
Also, if you want to equate taking a jab with being compelled to raise a child to the age of emancipation
That's a bullshit claim. Nothing requires a parent to raise his/her child once born. They're called "safe haven laws." Look them up.
Speaking of rights, what of all the chatter about state's rights when you seem to find it acceptable to make this issue the exception? Disingenuous at best.
I view abortion not as an issue of choice, but as an issue of life. Either an unborn child has rights or it doesn't. And if it does, that is a Constitutional, and thus federal issue.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm
Keep up with the news, blanket restrictions are already in place. If you want to find some moral equivalency in not wearing a mask verses the distinct possibility that at Thanksgiving dinner you'll be sharing a meal with the man who raped your daughter (who also, by the way, could be Uncle Frank), go right ahead. I wouldn't expect any different from you.
Just curious how any law allowing or preventing abortion impacts that bolded statement?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 5:18 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:49 pm
Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm
Keep up with the news, blanket restrictions are already in place. If you want to find some moral equivalency in not wearing a mask verses the distinct possibility that at Thanksgiving dinner you'll be sharing a meal with the man who raped your daughter (who also, by the way, could be Uncle Frank), go right ahead. I wouldn't expect any different from you.
Just curious how any law allowing or preventing abortion impacts that bolded statement?
Parental rights. Even if "dad" is a rapist or an incestuous relative (who well could be the woman's own father) they still have parental rights and are entitled to all that goes with those rights. Those rights may be suspended but that would mean going to court, one more opportunity to traumatize the victim, but isn't that the idea, shame the victim because she probably was asking for it anyway? If that was a concern, why wouldn't lawmakers offer exceptions?

Nope it's pass the mashed potatoes, you're part of the family now...

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Such bullshit....safe haven laws...an issue of life, not choice.....

Easy for men to say that shit and make laws accordingly. Of course they don't have to carry the kid for 9 months or go thru childbirth.
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 03, 2022 6:08 pm

Repealing R v W would only trigger this... Why don't the Catholics and Evangelicals just move to one of the ignorant states?

Last edited by TC Talks on Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 03, 2022 6:12 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Easy for men to say that shit and make laws accordingly. Of course they don't have to carry the kid for 9 months or go thru childbirth.
Are you suggesting that fathers don't have an interest equal to that of the mother in the birth of their child?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 pm
bmw wrote:

The release of the draft was absolutely political. I can't imagine this will be released until later in June, when big decisions come down.
Why shouldn't it be political? Seems to me waiting until the elections are over to then spring this on voters is just as politically dishonest, and besides, if the GOP seems to believe this is a winning issue for them they should be welcoming the information being released prior to an election. If they win a bunch of elections because of this, swell, the people's choice will have been made. If they lose a bunch of elections because of this the people's choice will still have been made. To the best of my understanding that's how a democracy works...

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 03, 2022 6:20 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Honeyman wrote:

Are you suggesting that fathers don't have an interest equal to that of the mother in the birth of their child?
Yes.
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 pm
bmw wrote:

Why shouldn't it be political? Seems to me waiting until the elections are over to then spring this on voters is just as politically dishonest, and besides, if the GOP seems to believe this is a winning issue for them they should be welcoming the information being released prior to an election. If they win a bunch of elections because of this, swell, the people's choice will have been made. If they lose a bunch of elections because of this the people's choice will still have been made. To the best of my understanding that's how a democracy works...
The 1973 Roe v. Wade decision also was leaked to the press.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... -roe-wade/
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:20 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Honeyman wrote:

Yes.
Hate to break it to you Chief, but the courts generally feel otherwise...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic