Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Its exhausting to defend this child...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Its exhausting to defend this child...

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Despite reports to the contrary, Sweden is paying heavily for its decision not to lockdown. As of today, 2462 people have died there, a much higher number than the neighboring countries of Norway (207), Finland (206) or Denmark (443). The United States made the correct decision!
🤯🤕

He's actually done a lot of things that I've been relatively happy with end-result policy wise, but he's such an insufferable douchebag. I do think his overarching response has been pretty good in that he's allowed the states a lot of freedom. He's been his typical blowhard self taking almost every point of view depending on the state.

On an unrelated note, we got the economic (maybe?) free money on 4/15, and today a two sided letter came from Trump. One side was in Spanish, which is sure to infuriate some of his lower IQ supporters in the same way that a letter from Obama that did not list his preferred pronouns would infuriate some of his lower IQ supporters.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Re: Its exhausting to defend this child...

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 5:19 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 pm
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Despite reports to the contrary, Sweden is paying heavily for its decision not to lockdown. As of today, 2462 people have died there, a much higher number than the neighboring countries of Norway (207), Finland (206) or Denmark (443). The United States made the correct decision!
🤯🤕

He's actually done a lot of things that I've been relatively happy with end-result policy wise, but he's such an insufferable douchebag. I do think his overarching response has been pretty good in that he's allowed the states a lot of freedom. He's been his typical blowhard self taking almost every point of view depending on the state.

On an unrelated note, we got the economic (maybe?) free money on 4/15, and today a two sided letter came from Trump. One side was in Spanish, which is sure to infuriate some of his lower IQ supporters in the same way that a letter from Obama that did not list his preferred pronouns would infuriate some of his lower IQ supporters.
What he is citing there is oft cited by everybody else too...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 01, 2020 8:19 am

I agree with what you stated, Matt, in pretty much every respect. Trump is correct on Sweden, at least in this Tweet, but you're right - three weeks from now, he might change his mind or deny ever writing the above! LOL

Here's something else that would infuriate Trump's "base" (frankly, I'm not exactly thrilled with this program, either):

The U.S.D.A. is handing out free EBT debit cards to ALL families with children enrolled in public school districts with elevated levels of poverty, irrespective of the financial situation of the individual family. The amount? $193 per child, per month. This is in addition to any federal benefits the household is already receiving.
The food assistance benefits will go to Michigan families with students ages 5-18 who are enrolled in the Michigan Department of Education program for students eligible for free or reduced-price school meals, and will reach approximately 895,000 students. This includes families currently receiving Food Assistance Program benefits as well as those not currently enrolled in the program.

Families not currently receiving food assistance benefits will receive an EBT card, and families currently receiving food assistance benefits will receive additional benefits on their EBT Bridge Cards.
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/michig ... -19-crisis

The EBT cards are intended to mitigate the closure of school cafeterias in districts with a high percentage of students receiving free or reduced lunch.

If this were happening under Obama's watch, conservative pundits on Fox News would be up in arms. But because Trump is in the White House, I'm guessing the response is (crickets).

I have no issue giving meal assistance to households with children who truly need it, but these are being distributed rather indiscriminately.

A friend & his wife make $70,000 a year and have two daughters - one in middle school the other in high school. They were stunned to find two cards worth $193 a piece in their mail this week.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 am

$70,000 each or combined?

I think its crystal clear how most Americans feel about the federal money tree: its ok to "make it rain" in support of policy goals they favor. On the surface, this doesn't necessarily sound like a terrible program, much like Michelle Obama's healthy lunch program was not terrible.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Combined, but it makes no difference. Even if their annual household income were $700,000, they still would qualify. The program is based on geography, not familial income.

I think due to "essence of time" considerations, the eligibility rules were left loose by design. No requirement to apply. No requirement to prove hardship.

Not sure why this program couldn't be tied to tax return review similar to the $600/$1200 stimulus checks, though.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:12 pm
Combined, but it makes no difference. Even if their annual household income were $700,000, they still would qualify. The program is based on geography, not familial income.

I think due to "essence of time" considerations, the eligibility rules were left loose by design. No requirement to apply. No requirement to prove hardship.

Not sure why this program couldn't be tied to tax return review similar to the $600/$1200 stimulus checks, though.
I wonder if the district approach was chosen because some of the poorest people that can actually benefit are non-filers?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 01, 2020 2:01 pm

I don't know why Trump feels compelled to diss Sweden's approach. His rhetoric on Sweden is the same I hear from all critics.

But this is a perfect example of statistical manipulation. It is convenient to compare Sweden to just a few neighboring countries when those countries have numbers that suport the point you're trying to make. When compared to the rest of Europre and to the US, Sweden's death rate doesn't stand out from the rest of the pack.

Moreover, also conveniently left out is the fact Sweden's infection rate is higher. It's not that they have more people dying than anywhere else, rather, it is just that everybody else is just delaying the inevitible while Sweden will be in a position of herd immunity and a much stronger economy and ready to move on with their lives when the rest of the world isn't.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:03 pm

So... if they don't need the money, I guess the simple solution is to not use it or give it to someone that can.

Too complicated?
Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 3:33 pm

UP906 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:03 pm
So... if they don't need the money, I guess the simple solution is to not use it or give it to someone that can.

Too complicated?
Yes because once you have it you aren’t giving it up. Even the $700,000 Example.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 01, 2020 6:27 pm

UP906 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Too complicated?
Too obvious.

It's also probably worth noting financial circumstances today don't have much bearing on financial circumstances tomorrow. I think we all learned that around St. Patrick's day this year...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:48 pm
Sure is.

Nobody’s defending Greta now!

“How deh you!”
What did Greta Van Susteren do to you?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 am

But this is a perfect example of statistical manipulation. It is convenient to compare Sweden to just a few neighboring countries when those countries have numbers that suport the point you're trying to make. When compared to the rest of Europe and to the US, Sweden's death rate doesn't stand out from the rest of the pack.
Sorry, but it appears the one condoning statistical manipulation is you, bmw.

If you are trying to determine an appropriate price to pay for a new (pre-existing) house, what do you do? You look at comparables in the area. You look for quality of life and socioeconomic similarities. You look for size and quality of construction similarities.

The qualify of life and environmental circumstances in Sweden are, likely, most similar to its neighbors. You don't like the apples-to-apples comparison that Trump is using here, because it does not support YOUR hypothesis.

If we were benchmarking U.S. performance in a certain area, we'd likely look to Canada as a comparable more so than, say, Brazil (and definitely more than Greenland or Belize).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 02, 2020 7:58 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 am
But this is a perfect example of statistical manipulation. It is convenient to compare Sweden to just a few neighboring countries when those countries have numbers that suport the point you're trying to make. When compared to the rest of Europe and to the US, Sweden's death rate doesn't stand out from the rest of the pack.
Sorry, but it appears the one condoning statistical manipulation is you, bmw.
Amen Brother
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Sweden is looking really brutal in their laissez faire style of response to the deadly and highly contagious Coronavirus.

It’s actually hideous. And cruel. And avoidable. And uncaring.

Remember - The Vikings and their empathy?

Exactly.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:12 am

Now that we have an opportunity to see how different "theories" have played out, it seems that the "Open and unencumbered" is leading to greater death.
Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

Tegnell is the brains behind Sweden’s controversial approach to fighting the virus, and the government of Stefan Lofven has deferred to the epidemiologist in its official response to the pandemic. Gatherings of more than 50 people continue to be banned, but throughout the crisis Swedes have been able to visit restaurants, go shopping, attend gyms and send children under 16 to school.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic