Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

B-93 Birthday Bash... Stick a fork in it?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
zzand

Re: B-93 Birthday Bash... Stick a fork in it?

Post by zzand » Wed May 08, 2024 9:57 am

Interesting question but it falls into the age old consultant trap of if it works in Seattle it will work everywhere. As has been proven time and time again that is not always true.

sholmes031105

Post by sholmes031105 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:27 pm

They just need to rename it from B93 to I Hart Country because you hear the same thing all across the country. Hire one set of on air personality to be on every station across the country at the same time.

The contests are a joke now also. Gone are the local contests call in be caller number 40 and you get $100. Now it is national contests for $1000 or an entry to big catch a sickness music festival sponsored by Capitol One.

Next AI is going to take over for jocks and they will pay someone minimum wage to make sure the signal does not go dead air.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm

Radio began its slow decent ever since the telecommunications act of 1996, in my opinion... Scratch that, media in general was ruined by that. Regarding B93 in particular... it was, and still is an iconic station. Neal and Reese, Conrad, Taft, Canuck (Rest in Peace) gave the station a personality in the 90s and 00's. I listened to Neal and Reese every morning on every school bus... Teachers would talk to each other about what was in Reese's hand. Just a great addition to West MI culture. Though I have all the respect in the world for Taft (I am sure he can only do what he has budget for), the stations personality is lack luster.

B-Bash added the personality to B and added to the west MI Culture. It was a great time, great time, great crowd... and to Reese's point, family friendly for the most part. Smart phones increased the speed in which radio is slowly dying (insert "im not dead yet" monty python meme here).

Is it just me, or do big corporations ruin everything?

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Fri May 17, 2024 10:19 pm

The short answer is yes... All of the corporate guys that swooped in (post 1996 as you mentioned, TV and radio also went down this road -newspapers also got creamed - even faster than radio I believe) had no interest in building any sort of brand or product or long term growth plan - it was pure quick quarterly profits at any cost - which is what they did. It was cuts, mergers, layoffs, downsizing, consolidating - and we are now near, very near the end result of 20+ years of that. There's very little left to cut, downsize or merge. I agree that somehow AI will find it's way into the industry and they will find a way to squeeze a little more blood from what's left of the carcass.

Sad, but true. The personalities that built the stations are all basically gone. It didn't matter the ratings or revenue, it was just another way to cut their way to prosperity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic