Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

BEASLEY MEDIA INITIATES 7% STAFF LAYOFFS

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: BEASLEY MEDIA INITIATES 7% STAFF LAYOFFS

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 09, 2024 10:21 am

Unlikely, except for perhaps one or more of the translators.

Beasley, if it needs to raise cash prior to entering chapter 11, is more likely to look to divest stations in New Jersey, its crappy standalone AM in Atlanta, or stations in the puny Augusta, GA and Fayetteville, NC markets.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Thu May 09, 2024 10:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:21 am

Beasley, if it needs to raise cash prior to entering chapter 11, is more likely to look to divest stations in New Jersey, its crappy standalone AM in Atlanta, or stations in the puny Augusta, GA and Fayetteville, NC markets.
Do you think Beasley would at least bring a working format to 105.9? Like Classic Soul?
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Thu May 09, 2024 5:49 pm

I am no bankruptcy expert but the bondholders seem fine getting dimes on the dollar so a hedge fund will control it out of bankruptcy. My guess would be they think it is cheaper then having a law firm sell it piecemeal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 09, 2024 6:42 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:26 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:21 am

Do you think Beasley would at least bring a working format to 105.9? Like Classic Soul?
They don't program such a format anywhere in the company, to my knowledge.

WDMK seems to shift its music leanings every year or two. I think the latest such shift just occurred.

For the past couple years, it had unreasonably high song overlap with The Bounce.

In response to the station's pitiful ratings, it seems to have very recently shifted to a playlist that actually matches the station's "Smooth R&B and Old School" positioner. I've heard five straight songs that WMGC does not play. The muddy audio processing has also been cleaned up, it appears. I'll keep listening for another twenty minutes.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm

Sat through about a dozen songs. Only heard one song that The Bounce also plays. Most of the music was soft R&B released within the past 20 years. Oldest song I heard was from 1982 (You Dropped a Bomb on Me by The Gap Band).

Will be interesting to see if 105.9 witnesses any sort of ratings rebound in the months ahead.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 am

Beasley's 10Q report was filed yesterday afternoon.

They received $6.0 million cash from sale of their investment in BMI in first quarter, so even though a semi-annual interest payment on their $267 million in senior secured notes was made in the period (in February), cash on hand improved from $26.7 million at 12-31 to $27.8 million at 3-31.

The notes mature February 2026. I think the company will have sufficient cash to operate between now and then, but a massive chunk of that debt will need to be forgiven or discharged in some form or fashion. The company might not reach $10 million in Adjusted EBITDA on the full year. Interest expense by itself runs them close to $23 million a year. As a point of comparison, their Adjusted EBITDA in fiscal 2023 was just north of $20 million and in fiscal 2022 was close to $26 million.

I think a larger wave - perhaps a couple larger waves - of expense reductions are yet to come. Beasley's recurring operating cash flow is so awful right now that it is my view that asset liquidation value is higher than NPV of discounted unlevered future cash flow (I think the latter is less than $100 million all day long). In other words, the company's "right to exist" in a financial sense is in doubt. Luckily for Beasley, they have no notes indenture covenant defaults at present and a decent amount of cash, so debt holders have no ability right now to force the issue.

I suspect one or more directors with financial restructuring expertise will be added to the Board later this year. The current BoD composition is a joke - one big echo chamber:

https://bbgi.com/board-of-directors/

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 am

I know he's talking about valuation, but I love Buffet's discussion of EBITDA...

https://youtu.be/Y8816-r28SM?si=wGsb-PLnpbSw_l8N
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 am

He's right in that Adjusted EBITDA (a non-GAAP term commonly used in earnings releases and the like) can be easily manipulated through things such as add backs for "pro forma cost savings synergies" and other B.S.

Beasley's methodology is clean and includes no such B.S. from what I can see.

He is also right from the vantage point that maintenance capex needs should be considered. Those cash outlays are essential for maintaining earnings.

A properly constructed EBITDA valuation multiple developed via discounted cash flow analysis will consider such things. Assumptions can always be manipulated in a biased way, so such analyses should always be reviewed in a diligent manner.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 10, 2024 7:58 am

How can you tell Beasley has clean methods?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 10, 2024 8:01 am

Look at their 10K and 10Q filings. No bizarre things are being included in Adjusted EBITDA. In first quarter, they correctly deduct the non-recurring sale proceeds from divestment of their BMI interest.

Where I take umbrage is with Caroline's rosy remarks on the earnings release. She could be exposing the company to shareholder lawsuits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic