Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WADL Deal Pulled

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
EdWalker

WADL Deal Pulled

Post by EdWalker » Wed May 22, 2024 8:11 pm

edj

Re: WADL Deal Pulled

Post by edj » Wed May 22, 2024 9:22 pm

I can see Adell making unreasonable demands under an LMA, similar to how the proposed CBS affiliation collapsed in 1994.

Adell wants to sell, but who else would buy? Marquee only buys in small markets. Would Gray look at a large market?

Unless a buyer comes through, or Adell caves on the CW, I am thinking they end up on 4.2. There are no other full power stations that would reasonably go for it, not even WPXD. A low power like WHNE would be a longshot.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 23, 2024 7:10 am

I agree that 4.2 is a decent possibility. WDIV would need to upgrade its gear to allow it to transmit on 4.2 in HD, but that wouldn't be too difficult to do. WWMT has aired CBS in 1080i and CW in either 720p or 1080i plus has hosted multiple 480i feeds for years. WTVS is running dual 1080i feeds plus 2 or 3 different 480i feeds as we speak. Heck, there are multiple stations up north that air two or even three networks in HD over one RF channel.

That said, no one is gonna bend over backwards to affiliate with CW. Its programming earns meager ratings. Scripps saw such little value from the affiliation that it's kicking CW to the curb after less than one year.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 am

in the cases where a station is running 2 (or more) HD channels, are the audio on those stations still 5.1, or are the (one or both) downgraded to 2.0 (stereo)?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 23, 2024 12:22 pm

The technology exists to allow surround sound audio on multiple subchannels using the same RF channel. ABC and CBS in Lansing share an RF channel.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri May 24, 2024 12:24 am

WADL will be sold to a Godster broadcaster in my opinion Kevin Adell likes to screw things up what was Kevin & his dad thinking not becoming CBS with their outrageous demands in 94. And who will buy the $75Million I can't see anyone buying it for that much. More likely that WDIV will make DT2 The CW I wonder if they add syndication or keep ThisTV and only air it when The CW isn't on in primetime or sports on the weekends.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat May 25, 2024 4:35 pm

billmich88888 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 am
in the cases where a station is running 2 (or more) HD channels, are the audio on those stations still 5.1, or are the (one or both) downgraded to 2.0 (stereo)?
Stereo at a ridiculously low bitrate. The audio on some of these subchannels is embarrassingly bad.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 25, 2024 5:41 pm

Per RabbitEars.info, 6.1, 53.1 and 53.2 in Lansing all broadcast their audio in DD5.1 despite all three channels (CBS, ABC and CW, respectively) sharing a single physical RF channel (channel 14).

The situation you describe is the result of telecasters refusing to implement the proper technology.

Tvguy

Post by Tvguy » Tue May 28, 2024 5:17 pm

MasterB wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:24 am
WADL will be sold to a Godster broadcaster in my opinion Kevin Adell likes to screw things up what was Kevin & his dad thinking not becoming CBS with their outrageous demands in 94. And who will buy the $75Million I can't see anyone buying it for that much. More likely that WDIV will make DT2 The CW I wonder if they add syndication or keep ThisTV and only air it when The CW isn't on in primetime or sports on the weekends.
This is from Kevin Adell to MasterB, “All your fact are wrong, when CBS approached me they offered $25M for WADL, $25M for WXON and $25M for WGPR. I was friends with Mike Berman who was the GM at WXON. My number was $100M and WXON was $200M. WGPR took the $25M offer, Dr. Banks who started WGPR passed away and his son-in-law got $8M personally and WGPR received the remaining $17M.

To answer your question about the CW, I have a pretty good idea what’s coming around the corner, I still throw a decent fastball, I was a ham radio operator, KB8IDB. I built WADL from a construction permit and came up with the idea for the Word Network, I build 910AM, which is going great along with the Adell Center, all with Private Funds. Perry Sook is not going on a DOT channel in Detroit, he’s made a large capital investment and they have a plan for that investment, he also has a fiduciary obligation to its shareholders. I’m not carrying the CW for free. I’m very capable of putting on programs and getting zero ratings and I certainly don’t need his help. He’s got a long runway to go till August 31st. 2024 He will need to do an LMA before that. Which entails 80% of the purchase price and the balance over 8 years, it will be a real LMA with Nexstar not Mission.

Its seems like you worked for me at some point or know me, come to the Word Network and I’ll meet you face to face since you have such a keen interest in me…Let me know when you want to meet. KA.”

edj

Post by edj » Tue May 28, 2024 7:51 pm

If 910 is going great, it must mean Premiere is paying to air their talk shows. There is virtually no other possible source for revenue. Few if any local spots, no local brokered talk, real estate, or church services AM stations air so frequently on weekends, and no small college or minor league sports to bring in guaranteed income. Those towers cost money to run, land leasing or taxes, leasing a subchannel of WOMC, the news and traffic updates (unless that is barter), Nielsen books, Justin Barclay doing three hours from Grand Rapids which isn’t free, etc etc etc. I haven’t even heard any political ads, unless Trump’s rallies are being aired for cash.

As for WADL, I can’t remember the last time I’ve tuned in. CW brings in low ratings, that is completely true and I can see why Adell would drop it if he wasn’t getting paid.

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Tue May 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Tvguy wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:17 pm
MasterB wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:24 am
This is from Kevin Adell to MasterB, “All your fact are wrong, when CBS approached me they offered $25M for WADL, $25M for WXON and $25M for WGPR. I was friends with Mike Berman who was the GM at WXON. My number was $100M and WXON was $200M. WGPR took the $25M offer, Dr. Banks who started WGPR passed away and his son-in-law got $8M personally and WGPR received the remaining $17M.

To answer your question about the CW, I have a pretty good idea what’s coming around the corner, I still throw a decent fastball, I was a ham radio operator, KB8IDB. I built WADL from a construction permit and came up with the idea for the Word Network, I build 910AM, which is going great along with the Adell Center, all with Private Funds. Perry Sook is not going on a DOT channel in Detroit, he’s made a large capital investment and they have a plan for that investment, he also has a fiduciary obligation to its shareholders. I’m not carrying the CW for free. I’m very capable of putting on programs and getting zero ratings and I certainly don’t need his help. He’s got a long runway to go till August 31st. 2024 He will need to do an LMA before that. Which entails 80% of the purchase price and the balance over 8 years, it will be a real LMA with Nexstar not Mission.

Its seems like you worked for me at some point or know me, come to the Word Network and I’ll meet you face to face since you have such a keen interest in me…Let me know when you want to meet. KA.”
Is this for real? or a fake? No one will really know. Is the letter from Kevin Adell authentic? Or b.s.? Why would Kevin Adell even bother with a Radio and TV message board.?
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 28, 2024 9:57 pm

Simple answer LL, the amateur callsign.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic