Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best Christmas Music is on...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Best Christmas Music is on...

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:41 am

Believe it or not, WJR.

Colonel Flagg gives credit, where credit is due.

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Bobbert

Re: Best Christmas Music is on...

Post by Bobbert » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:14 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:41 am
Believe it or not, WJR.

I'd believe that. Back before stations went all-Christmas music for the season, I would tune into WJR for their block of Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'm listening to it right now.

For the season, I probably listened to the SXM Holiday Traditions station the most, followed by WNIC.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:59 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:14 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Believe it or not, WJR.

I'd believe that. Back before stations went all-Christmas music for the season, I would tune into WJR for their block of Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'm listening to it right now.

For the season, I probably listened to the SXM Holiday Traditions station the most, followed by WNIC.
It's the syndicated show, hosted by Jim Hampton. The music is middle of the road, with a few surprises, and Jim plays great clips, and tells good stories. I think the best song I've heard so far was a duet by Johnny Mathis, and Bette Midler! What a pair!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:47 pm

Womc. Trust me
Music is my life.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:47 pm
Womc. Trust me
WOMC???? :rollin

No thanks.

I've already heard "And So this is Christmas" by John Lennon, "Step into Christmas" by Elton John... I've rocked around the Christmas tree with Brenda Lee, ad nauseam. Forty five years in the radio business has only made it worse. I'm looking for something different, and as much as I find fault with WJR, they did a good job. Hopefully, Jim Hampton will return next year.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:04 pm

WJR has my favorite collection of Christmas music every year.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:49 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:20 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:47 pm
Womc. Trust me
WOMC???? :rollin

No thanks.

I've already heard "And So this is Christmas" by John Lennon, "Step into Christmas" by Elton John... I've rocked around the Christmas tree with Brenda Lee, ad nauseam. Forty five years in the radio business has only made it worse. I'm looking for something different, and as much as I find fault with WJR, they did a good job. Hopefully, Jim Hampton will return next year.
If you say so.

But I can guarantee you have not listened to WOMC for Christmas. They're playing songs I promise you have never heard in your life.

And I'd prefer to hear "Step Into Christmas" and "Happy Xmas" all day instead of 20 different covers of Let it Snow and Jingle Bells
Music is my life.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:01 pm

WJR and WOMC both have great variety, especially when compared to iHeart's stations but believe it or not, my personal favorite is Toledo's YES FM's Holiday Hooplah. Lots of rock 'n roll Christmas tunes, with a few rap/hip hop jams thrown in. They only do it Christmas Eve/Christmas day, no ads, just a few promos/sponsorships.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:17 am

back in the late 80's early 90's i remember a couple of Christmas' where 1270 had the best playlist to my then early 20's ears

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:50 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Believe it or not, WJR.

And definitely the best scratchiness, lousy audio, losing the station under every underpass and other perks that come with AM radio. No other Christmas station comes close.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:20 pm

I had no idea WJR played Christmas Music, or even still played any music, for that matter.

WLEN in Adrian has a great variety but the signal is rather rough on my radio.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:50 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Believe it or not, WJR.

And definitely the best scratchiness, lousy audio, losing the station under every underpass and other perks that come with AM radio. No other Christmas station comes close.
who said he wasn't listening to it via one of the *FM* subchannels? - he never said he was listening to "760 AM" did he?
or streaming?
or.......

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:56 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:20 pm
WLEN in Adrian has a great variety but the signal is rather rough on my radio.
Having grown up in Adrian, my family always had WLEN tuned in on the radio. The Christmas music was a favorite.

It's a shame they don't broadcast online, just special sports events and The Cage.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:15 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:20 pm
I had no idea WJR played Christmas Music, or even still played any music, for that matter.
I remember when J.P. McCarthy played music. His playlist seemed to consist of two songs:
  • "Don't Worry Baby," by the Beach Boys
  • "People," by Barbra Streisand

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:24 pm

I was streaming Love FM out of Belize the other night and was blown away by one of the songs I heard... "The Christmas Guest" by Reba McEntire. Followed by the Ray Conniff Singers' medley of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" and "Little Drummer Boy." I haven't heard the Reba track on the radio in years (and never on a pop station).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRhkfHsq6M

Also good is 98.9 WEMP out of Sheboygan/Manitowoc. They're still in Christmas music at the moment and looking at their playlist online it's impressive. Both the Carpenters and Olivia Newton-John versions of "Ave Maria," Jo Stafford, Julie London, Glenn Miller, Roger Miller, Vikki Carr, the original version of "Grown Up Christmas List" by David Foster/Natalie Cole (most stations only play the Kelly Clarkson or Michael Buble versions; curiously Amy Grant's version gets little airplay although it's from an album that otherwise gets played out during the holiday season). Nary a Mariah or Wham! tune in sight (or hearing). And plenty of B/EZ instrumentals. It reminds me of the old WJOI when they went all Christmas for 36 hours on Christmas Eve/Day.
As mentioned before WLEN also has a good variety, as does Westwood One's America's Best Music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic