Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bye Bye Parler!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Bye Bye Parler!

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:32 am

Well, at least you guys have finally stopped trying to hide your support for totalitarianism. Celebrating the big tech billionaire's attempt to stifle speech and the exchange of ideas they don't agree with, as well as the ability to shut down competition is beyond the pale.

If you're going to show a picture of my truck, at least post the right one, TC Talks (Out His Ass)

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:32 am
Well, at least you guys have finally stopped trying to hide your support for totalitarianism. Celebrating the big tech billionaire's attempt to stifle speech and the exchange of ideas they don't agree with, as well as the ability to shut down competition is beyond the pale.

If you're going to show a picture of my truck, at least post the right one, TC Talks (Out His Ass)

ITS THEIR SITE AND THEIR PLATFORM. DON’T LIKE IT? START YOUR OWN!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 am

I have zero social media apps on my phone.

Parler, fb, mewe, twitter through web browser.

PS How much is going to cost to fix that A5 when you hit a deer, besides being stranded.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:15 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 am

ITS THEIR SITE AND THEIR PLATFORM.
Which have been given monopoly status and legal protection by the U.S. Government. Ever hear of Anti-Trust laws? Maybe you should study United States v. Microsoft Corporation, 253 F.3d 34
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:15 am
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:38 am

ITS THEIR SITE AND THEIR PLATFORM.
Which have been given monopoly status and legal protection by the U.S. Government. Ever hear of Anti-Trust laws? Maybe you should study United States v. Microsoft Corporation, 253 F.3d 34
This. Facebook has 2.7 billion users, including 190 million in the US (over half of the US population). Twitter has 68 million users in the US.

No other platform stylistically set up like Facebook or Twitter even comes close. One could argue that Youtube is kind of similar insofar as an individual can have a platform with followers (in youtube's case, "subscribers"), but they censor content as well. And the problem is that these 3 platforms seemingly always act in concert with each other when it comes to censoring a high-profile person.

I agree with RT in that any specific platform can run their platform how they please. But that right ends where a monopoly begins.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 am
PS How much is going to cost to fix that A5 when you hit a deer, besides being stranded.
More than any other car I've ever owned LOL. But I can go so unbelievably fast I will just slide right under the deer. It's a drag it started the snow very shortly after I took delivery.

Bryce, that's a nice Truck...

There are two parts to this, I think there'll be no problem developing an app that will provide the necessary communication to satisfy the racist hoards. It's not the technology that is the problem. You can't find a way to be on a platform to insight Civil War. Apple and Android will not allow it. Is Trump going to start a third mobile device platform? And will it have enough users to gain a mass to actually be anything but a fringe group of users?

Even Parler has only four million active users and 11 m total downloads.

There is a new vanilla mobile movement that takes the Android open source and brings it to a different direction outside the control of Google, but you have to be practically a programmer to use it. and then there is the cooperation you would need from AT&T and Verizon to have this device work on their Networks.

Maybe Trump could buy Myspace.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:52 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 am
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 am
More than any other car I've ever owned LOL. But I can go so unbelievably fast I will just slide right under the deer. It's a drag it started the snow very shortly after I took delivery.

There are two parts to this, I think there'll be no problem developing an app that will provide the necessary communication to satisfy the racist hoards. It's not the technology that is the problem. You can't find a way to be on a platform to insight Civil War. Apple and Android will not allow it. Is Trump going to start a third mobile device platform? And will it have enough users to gain a mass to actually be anything but a fringe group of users?

Even Parler has only four million active users and 11 m total downloads.

There is a new vanilla mobile movement that takes the Android open source and brings it to a different direction outside the control of Google, but you have to be practically a programmer to use it. and then there is the cooperation you would need from AT&T and Verizon to have this device work on their Networks.

Maybe Trump could buy Myspace.

Three words...

Restraint of Trade.

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/01 ... 75-n306875
The Purge Is Here: Twitter Banning Influencers on Right, Removing Followers

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 am

Bryce - I'm curious as to your response on the devil's advocate position: specifically, that conservatives have a monopoly on talk radio and that the airwaves are owned by the public. Conservatives have long fought any attempt at government passing equal-time restrictions on radio talk shows. Should the government break up the monopoly that conservatives have on the radio airwaves?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 am
Bryce - I'm curious as to your response on the devil's advocate position: specifically, that conservatives have a monopoly on talk radio and that the airwaves are owned by the public. Conservatives have long fought any attempt at government passing equal-time restrictions on radio talk shows. Should the government break up the monopoly that conservatives have on the radio airwaves?
For the most part, "conservatives" do not own the stations that broadcast their content, so their "monopoly" exists only in the fact that their product attracts an audience. They don't have the power, nor the desire, to block other forms of programming counter to theirs.

Remember Air America? It failed on its own.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:20 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 am
They don't have the power, nor the desire, to block other forms of programming counter to theirs.
True, but the individual conservative hosts who do monopolize the airwaves, often in 3-hour blocks, DO have the power to pick and choose which callers get onto the air: Arguably, the same type of censorship that conservatives say is happening on social media platforms.
Remember Air America? It failed on its own.
So have a host of social media platforms that have tried to compete with facebook and twitter.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:28 am

Watch what happens to Hannity and the others THE DAY they start coordinating a civil war or insurrection.

It's not the conservative rhetoric that got Trump banned... It's just a ancillary benefit...
― Matt

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:20 am
Bryce wrote:
They don't have the power, nor the desire, to block other forms of programming counter to theirs.
True, but the individual conservative hosts who do monopolize the airwaves, often in 3-hour blocks, DO have the power to pick and choose which callers get onto the air:
Surely this is no different that Facebook and Twitter users being able to control and manage the content of their own account.
bmw wrote:
So have a host of social media platforms that have tried to compete with facebook and twitter.
There is a difference between failing and being blocked from succeeding.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:24 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks! I got it because it's a great truck and it looked good with both my dogs.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:23 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm
bmw wrote:
Bryce wrote:
True, but the individual conservative hosts who do monopolize the airwaves, often in 3-hour blocks, DO have the power to pick and choose which callers get onto the air:
Surely this is no different that Facebook and Twitter users being able to control and manage the content of their own account.
bmw wrote:
There is a difference between failing and being blocked from succeeding.
Most large companies are near monopolies in their industries... where there may have been 20 there are now two or three through endless consolidation. Welcome to.. Monopoly Reality Edition. You should be up in arms about all monopolies if the social media monopoly situation bothers you so much. There are 7 major railroads when there were well over 100 in 1950. They all consolidated. It’s a monopoly break it up. Microsoft and Apple are a monopoly on software. Break it up too. Competition is good. It’ll also create jobs.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:08 pm

"This is very H***,” Amy Peikoff, Parler’s policy chief, told Fox News on Friday, when Apple first threatened to remove the app. Without access to the App Store, she said, “we’re toast.”

John Matze, Parler’s chief executive, said in a text message early Saturday that Twitter had recently promoted the phrase “Hang Mike Pence” as a trending topic. (The majority of the discussion on Twitter was about rioters chanting the phrase about the vice president on Wednesday.) “I have seen no evidence Apple is going after them,” Mr. Matze said. “This would appear to be an unfair double standard as every other social media site has the same issues, arguably on a worse scale.” He added, “But we are taking this very seriously.”

As to Google’s action, Mr. Matze said in a statement that Parler had first heard of it “in the press.”

The moves by Apple and Google against Parler were part of a wider crackdown by tech companies on President Trump and some of his most extreme supporters after Wednesday’s deadly riot in Washington. But unlike Twitter and Facebook, which make decisions about the content that appears on their own sites, Apple and Google weighed in on how other companies are operating.

Apple and Google make the operating systems that back nearly all of the world’s smartphones. Now that the two companies have made it clear that they will take action against apps that don’t sufficiently police what their users post, it could have significant side effects.
― Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic