Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Restructuring Unions

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Restructuring Unions

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Interesting way to try to eliminate all Unions if Police departments need to be dismantled.

The issue isn't collective bargaining, the issue is allowing destructive behavior in the rank and file. I don't think it's limited to police.

Protect dignity but not tolerate destructive behavior. It's possible.
If we want to eliminate violent police misconduct, then we need to eliminate collective-bargaining protections that shield bad cops. And there is a model for doing so. In 2012, then-Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) passed Act 10, a law that reformed collective bargaining for teachers unions and other public worker unions in his state. (Disclosure: I co-authored a book with Walker on his collective-bargaining reforms.) Like police unions, the Wisconsin teachers unions had negotiated agreements that tied the hands of supervisors in disciplining chronically bad performers. Instead of being removed, bad teachers were moved around from school to school. Act 10 allowed school officials to hire and fire based on merit and pay based on performance. Good teachers got rewarded while bad teachers got the boot.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Re: Restructuring Unions

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:31 pm
Interesting way to try to eliminate all Unions if Police departments need to be dismantled.

The issue isn't collective bargaining, the issue is allowing destructive behavior in the rank and file. I don't think it's limited to police.

Protect dignity but not tolerate destructive behavior. It's possible.
If we want to eliminate violent police misconduct, then we need to eliminate collective-bargaining protections that shield bad cops. And there is a model for doing so. In 2012, then-Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) passed Act 10, a law that reformed collective bargaining for teachers unions and other public worker unions in his state. (Disclosure: I co-authored a book with Walker on his collective-bargaining reforms.) Like police unions, the Wisconsin teachers unions had negotiated agreements that tied the hands of supervisors in disciplining chronically bad performers. Instead of being removed, bad teachers were moved around from school to school. Act 10 allowed school officials to hire and fire based on merit and pay based on performance. Good teachers got rewarded while bad teachers got the boot.
Every collective agreement is between two parties. Both parties bear equal responsibility for bad outcomes.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Unless one party agrees to a bad agreement under duress.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 pm
I bet many Police union contracts contain a no strike clause... that eliminates most “duress”...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Having been involved in collective bargaining all of my life. I've never known any employer or any Union to agree to something they find unacceptable

If there's something in the contract I don't like, there's no use blaming the employer. We agreed to it.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 pm

I'm gonna guess that over the years both Ford and GM agreed to things they didn't like to avoid a strike.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 pm
I'm gonna guess that over the years both Ford and GM agreed to things they didn't like to avoid a strike.
And just as often, UAW will agree to something they don't like. But neither party will accept anything that is totally intolerable. No agreement makes everyone happy, but it's always mutual.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 am

You misspelled "Abolish".
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:54 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 am
Who misspelled abolish? Who even said abolish?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:54 am
Matt wrote:

Maybe Matt is really Patriot.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 am
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
Maybe Matt is really Patriot.
That makes total sense.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Matt wrote:

Found it!
Rate This wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:07 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:43 pm
I can't back him anymore. The tipping point was the pandemic and he has done nothing but antagonize during these conflicts he's had to deal with. Many other reasons, too many to list and spend time on. The things he's said on twitter have been outrageous. I feel like he's tanking it with the things he says. I would only vote for Biden if his VP choice is someone I can stomach. If he chooses Kamala, Abrams, Warren, Whitmer I'm going Libertarian. Demmings I've only seen a few interviews be she seems reasonable although I don' t know much about her policies but she seems not as in your face as Kamala- seems a bit more presidential. I like Tulsi Gabbard in more ways than one but she would not appease the wacky left side of the Dem party. Biden has lost more than a few steps. It's a damn shame these our what our choices are. Vote Libertarian for true change!!
Vote Libertarian to fully abolisch the police!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
You guys gotta brush up on your Mattspeak. This was an attempt at humor from our favorite Wolvie. Granted, a swing and a miss, but nonetheless, an attempt.
The censorship king from out of state.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
Wry do you ask? Just humor me.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
You guys gotta brush up on your Mattspeak. This was an attempt at humor from our favorite Wolvie. Granted, a swing and a miss, but nonetheless, an attempt.
So, he is Patriot.

Puzzle solved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic