Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 29 at 11:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

President Minority-Elect Of The United States

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

President Minority-Elect Of The United States

Post by screen glare » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am

Trump = PMEOTUS.

Not PEOTUS.

Important to remember: No mandate.

Plate Cap

Re: President Minority-Elect Of The United States

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

screen glare wrote:Trump = PMEOTUS.

Not PEOTUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Not PEOTUS.

I didn't vote for T Rump, but I say give it a rest...

I will pray for him, because that is one thing a person can do...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Not PEOTUS.

So who do you think was legitimately elected as President of the United States? Hillary didn't receive a majority vote either. Nobody did.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 pm

bmw wrote:

Not PEOTUS.

Hillary didn't receive a majority vote either. Nobody did.
I must disagree with that statement. The United States is just that, a collection of states. Someone did receive a majority of votes of that collection of states. A rather large majority at that.

A map provided by the ultra conservative :blink New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president

All these people that say they support the popular vote and we should do away with the Electoral system are really full of shit. The minute the majority of state voters decide to put limits on abortion or regulate who can get married, they run off to the supreme court to overturn the will of the majority of the people of that state.

What about honoring the popular vote in those cases?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Bryce wrote:
bmw wrote:

Not PEOTUS.

Hillary didn't receive a majority vote either. Nobody did.
I must disagree with that statement. The United States is just that, a collection of states. Someone did receive a majority of votes of that collection of states. A rather large majority at that.

A map provided by the ultra conservative :blink New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president
What about letting cities and counties decide issues on their own? I thought that was a big point conservatives loved about federalism???
All these people that say they support the popular vote and we should do away with the Electoral system are really full of shit. The minute the majority of state voters decide to put limits on abortion or regulate who can get married, they run off to the supreme court to overturn the will of the majority of the people of that state.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 am

NS8401 wrote:
Best comment ever NS! :blink
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:11 am

audiophile wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
Best comment ever NS! :blink
Sometimes silence is the best commentary :blink

Not sure why it did that... I typed a message... oh well.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am

Bryce wrote:All these people that say they support the popular vote and we should do away with the Electoral system are really full of shit. The minute the majority of state voters decide to put limits on abortion or regulate who can get married, they run off to the supreme court to overturn the will of the majority of the people of that state.

I'm all for states' rights and the electoral college, but there's one factor I believe you're overlooking:

Had the extent of states' rights not been challenged 50-60 years ago, southern governors like George Wallace would have been allowed to prevail in their unconstitutional policies. Drinking fountains and public universities would have continued to be segregated. There comes a point where the Constitution trumps (pardon the expression) states' rights, and that is the primary reason why the Supreme Court exists. Granted, whether or not a state law truly violates the Constitution is a matter which will continue to be debated in the court of public opinion, and no matter what the SCOTUS rules on any one issue, someone is going to be disappointed.

It's easy in 2017 to look back on the absurdity of state-sanctioned segregation, but there were enough people supporting such policies in the 1950's and 1960's that they may have continued to exist much longer than they did had it not been for landmark cases like Brown vs. Board of Education.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Bryce wrote:All these people that say they support the popular vote and we should do away with the Electoral system are really full of shit. The minute the majority of state voters decide to put limits on abortion or regulate who can get married, they run off to the supreme court to overturn the will of the majority of the people of that state.

I'm all for states' rights and the electoral college, but there's one factor I believe you're overlooking:

It's easy in 2017 to look back on the absurdity of state-sanctioned segregation, but there were enough people supporting such policies...
There sure enough were. I believe they called themselves Democrats. :blink

Segregation is a pretty easy constitutional call. It flew in the face of one of our basic concepts at the founding in that "All men are created equal".

I'm not judging the validity of constitutional issues here. I've done that a plenty. What I tried to bring to light is all these folks that contend we should have a mobocracy and have the popular vote decide the presidency instead of the Electoral College, are quick to challenge other popular vote outcomes when it doesn't go their way.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Bryce wrote:
Calvert DeForest wrote:

It's easy in 2017 to look back on the absurdity of state-sanctioned segregation, but there were enough people supporting such policies...
There sure enough were. I believe they called themselves Democrats. :blink

Segregation is a pretty easy constitutional call. It flew in the face of one of our basic concepts at the founding in that "All men are created equal".

I'm not judging the validity of constitutional issues here. I've done that a plenty. What I tried to bring to light is all these folks that contend we should have a mobocracy and have the popular vote decide the presidency instead of the Electoral College, are quick to challenge other popular vote outcomes when it doesn't go their way.
What about a city or state that wants to pass a tax on say soft drinks or such? Would you apply Federalist local autonomy to things you disagree with as well? Some Republicans are looking to reign in cities now that Republicans are a national level party and Democrats control medium and large cities... they've changed their tune to suit the situation they are in because they disagree with what the cities want to do...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm

I would be happy to comment on a specific scenario, but your brush is a bit too wide.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Bryce wrote:I would be happy to comment on a specific scenario, but your brush is a bit too wide.
Ok the sugared drink tax in Philly... nanny state overreach or local control?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am

Bryce wrote: There sure enough were. I believe they called themselves Democrats. :blink

Back then there were two flavors of Democrat - northeastern liberal and southern conservative. The southern conservative Democrats were a holdover from the slavery days. The GOP of Lincoln was a much more federalist party, while the southern Democrats were all about states' rights (including, at the time, the rights of the states to sanction slavery). John Kennedy, being of the northern liberal flavor, chose Lyndon Johnson as his running mate in 1960 because he knew he needed a conservative southern Democrat to carry the southern states. Despite LBJ's more liberal stance after he took office, he was regarded as quite the conservative throughout the 1940's and 50's. Despite having Johnson on the ticket, Kennedy barely carried Texas in 1960 because southern conservative Democrats didn't care much for a northeastern liberal. A main purpose for his 1963 Texas trip was an attempt to bring opposing sides of the DNC together if he had any hope of carrying the state again in 1964. Moot point (at least for him) after November 22nd.

When Johnson pushed through Kennedy's civil rights bill in 1964, a lot of southern conservative Democrats were pissed. They viewed LBJ as a "traitor" to their ideologies. The GOP saw a golden opportunity to court disenfranchised Democrats to their party, and it worked. Democrats like George Wallace continued to run on DNC tickets, but by 1968 it was clear that the southern conservative Democrat was becoming a thing of the past. Over 100 years, the two major parties had basically switched roles on issues such as states' rights and the authority of the federal government.

The DNC and GOP as we know them today bear little resemblance to what they were even 50 years ago. If Ike Eisenhower and John Kennedy were to magically reappear tomorrow, I doubt either of them would recognize their respective parties as they currently exist.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 pm

NS8401 wrote: What about a city or state that wants to pass a tax on say soft drinks or such? Would you apply Federalist local autonomy to things you disagree with as well? Some Republicans are looking to reign in cities now that Republicans are a national level party and Democrats control medium and large cities... they've changed their tune to suit the situation they are in because they disagree with what the cities want to do...
States and some cities have been taxing consumables for years. It is certainly within their purview to do so. Beer has been taxed by various government bodies as long as I can remember. Frankly, a "sin tax" on soda makes as much sense as one on beer. A 12oz can of Mountain Dew is much worse for your overall health than a 12oz can of beer.

Cities and states that are breaking federal law however, do need to be reigned in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic