Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

This is why some people don't trust the police

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

This is why some people don't trust the police

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 am

The OPD should immediately issue an apology to this man, greatly scrutinize its roadside drug testing equipment, and immediately implement a system for tracking accuracy (or lack thereof) of roadside drug testing results.

Why do these PIGS never apologize when they exercise poor judgment that leads to unnecessary harassment of taxpayers...especially motorists? If you ask the police union thugs, they are in the "right" 100% of the time and never commit a transgression on the job. Ever.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/bre ... story.html

Even more disturbing is the case that happened last week in North Miami.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

zzand

Re: This is why some people don't trust the police

Post by zzand » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:35 am

When you call them pigs and things you show you are part of the problem not part of the solution. 99 percent of officers nationwide on duty are good, hard working people there to protect us, yet you condemn them all for the 1 percent. Many posters on this board I would expect this from but you are better than that Metalhead...Pigs? Thugs? that's what you anti cop idiots are.....

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:The OPD should immediately issue an apology to this man, greatly scrutinize its roadside drug testing equipment, and immediately implement a system for tracking accuracy (or lack thereof) of roadside drug testing results.

Why do these PIGS never apologize when they exercise poor judgment that leads to unnecessary harassment of taxpayers...especially motorists? If you ask the police union thugs, they are in the "right" 100% of the time and never commit a transgression on the job. Ever.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/bre ... story.html

Even more disturbing is the case that happened last week in North Miami.
I like how it's described as lawful...

Most cops are good people but it's a profession that seems to attract an abnormal number of total pricks...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:40 am

MWmetalhead wrote: If you ask the police union thugs, they are in the "right" 100% of the time and never commit a transgression on the job. Ever.
This is something I can agree with. Seldom, if ever, do you hear the union, or even department itself, admit a mistake. It may have something to do with fear of lawsuits. Not sure.

However, I would like to point out that just because some in a department or union exhibit behavior that may foment mistrust, that still isn't a valid reason to shoot police or excuse the calls for such by various groups. Groups that have been embraced by various politicians.
Shootings were the main cause of officer deaths for the first six months, the first time in three years in which traffic-related fatalities did not top the list, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which published an analysis of its data this week.

At least 66 federal, state or local law enforcement officers have died on duty so far this year, according to a New York Times analysis of contemporaneous news reports and tallies maintained by two organizations dedicated to honoring the lives of dead officers. Sixty-three were men.
On the flip side, people that make mistakes in blaming the police don't apologize either. i.e. Marilyn Mosby.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am

Bryce wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote: If you ask the police union thugs, they are in the "right" 100% of the time and never commit a transgression on the job. Ever.
This is something I can agree with. Seldom, if ever, do you hear the union, or even department itself, admit a mistake. It may have something to do with fear of lawsuits. Not sure.

However, I would like to point out that just because some in a department or union exhibit behavior that may foment mistrust, that still isn't a valid reason to shoot police or excuse the calls for such by various groups. Groups that have been embraced by various politicians.
Shootings were the main cause of officer deaths for the first six months, the first time in three years in which traffic-related fatalities did not top the list, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which published an analysis of its data this week.

At least 66 federal, state or local law enforcement officers have died on duty so far this year, according to a New York Times analysis of contemporaneous news reports and tallies maintained by two organizations dedicated to honoring the lives of dead officers. Sixty-three were men.
On the flip side, people that make mistakes in blaming the police don't apologize either. i.e. Marilyn Mosby.
I'm morning these numbers let's keep in mind that the numbers were much higher in the 1970's than they are today according to the same memorial fund...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:01 pm

NS8401 wrote: let's keep in mind that the numbers were much higher in the 1970's
The downward trend that began in the 1970's is the result of better training, better technology and better policing practices. The spike we see this year is a direct result of police officers being targeted for murder.

Some in society are ok with this. To wit:
A hard-won moment of silence for fallen police officers Thursday night at the Democratic National Convention was marred by chants from the crowd of “black lives matter!” in an ugly moment that angered law enforcement representatives and underscored the anti-cop climate that has gripped the nation.

When Valdez asked the crowd to join her in a moment of silence for cops killed in the line of duty, jeers erupted from the crowd.

“Please help me to honor ALL of America's fallen officers with a moment of silence,” as the anti-police group’s namesake slogan echoed through the Wells Fargo Center.
I find it appalling.

Imagine if at the RNC during a moment of silence for say Philando Castile a chant broke out "Law and Order, Law and Order".
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Bryce and I are often on different sides of issues. This is one where we are very much in agreement.

As I suggested in the other anti-cop thread started by Lovinlife101 cops are far and away more likely to be murdered by a civilian/citizen than a civilian/citizen is likely to be killed by a cop. If one factored in justified killings the percentages would be off the charts.

But people don't really care when cops get killed. One was gunned down last night in San Diego and his partner wounded but what we get in here is outrage about a doughnut mistake.
Did the cops screw up? Maybe
*They were in the area responding to citizen complaints about drug activity
*They say the guy they pulled over committed two moving violations prior to the stop.
*The drug testing gear they had registered positive twice. At that point given what they had an arrest was proper procedure.

In hind-site if there are problems with the accuracy of the drug testing gear who's fault is that? The cops working the street have to operate on the assumption the equipment they are given to use works.

Maybe the outrage should be directed at the people who made the drug testing stuff if it doesn't work consistently.

Maybe the guy who got pulled over should ask himself why he commits so many moving violations. If he makes a half assed stop before pulling on to the street and if he goes 30-35 instead of 42 in the 30MPH zone maybe he doesn't get pulled over.
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:29 pm

However, I would like to point out that just because some in a department or union exhibit behavior that may foment mistrust, that still isn't a valid reason to shoot police or excuse the calls for such by various groups.
I agree with this unequivocally.

I probably did not state my earlier thoughts as articulately as I should have. To be clear, only those officers, police leaders & union officials who defend, obfuscate and/or deny obvious police incompetence, poor judgment (with often harmful consequences to citizens) and maliciousness are PIGS.

It is not my opinion that any & all police officers and officials are pigs. I agree that the vast majority are decent people. I doubt that number is 99 percent, but it's probably north of 95 percent. Regrettably, some of the morally decent ones make mistakes, sometimes with harmful consequences to the public. It is a very difficult job; I do not deny that for even a second.

When tragic situations occur where civilians are injured or killed unnecessarily, instead of sending some union thug to a press conference to talk about how the PD's shit doesn't stink, why not instead own up to mistakes and ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY???
Maybe the guy who got pulled over should ask himself why he commits so many moving violations. If he makes a half assed stop before pulling on to the street and if he goes 30-35 instead of 42 in the 30MPH zone maybe he doesn't get pulled over.
Give me a break. Speed limits are set ridiculously low in many, many areas. So because the gentlemen gets pulled over for speeding, he deserves to be victimized by piss poor police work?

As to one of your other points, when an officer gets killed in the line of duty, it often dominates news coverage (rightfully) for multiple days, and usually hundreds & hundreds of officers leave their posts - in some cases from dozens or even hundreds of miles away - to attend the funeral.

When an officer gets killed in the line of duty, the perpetrator is often subject to more severe maximum punishment than if they were to murder a civilian. Thus, in many jurisdictions, greater value is placed on a police officer's life than an ordinary citizen's life.

When an officer wrongfully kills or nearly kills a citizen (whether due to overreaction, poor judgment or excessive force), they act as if the loss or near loss of human life is insignificant and often show zero contrition whatsoever. Instead, they whine about media coverage and lash out at the public in a self-centered manner -- North Miami is a perfect example.

In other words - where the f*ck is the reciprocity?

Part of the problem I describe here can be owed to lack of adequate compensation and training relative to the rigors of the job. "You get what you pay for." In many instances, our cops don't get paid handsomely enough. I think this breeds low morale in some cases, and leads to the hiring of underqualified folks in other instances.

Craig - I do agree with you that the manufacturer of the roadside drug testing equipment may have culpability here. We do not know if the test was administered properly. I find it highly problematic that the Orlando PD has no database of any kind in place to track the performance of the equipment. That is inexcusable.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
However, I would like to point out that just because some in a department or union exhibit behavior that may foment mistrust, that still isn't a valid reason to shoot police or excuse the calls for such by various groups.
I agree with this unequivocally.

I probably did not state my earlier thoughts as articulately as I should have. To be clear, only those officers, police leaders & union officials who defend, obfuscate and/or deny obvious police incompetence, poor judgment (with often harmful consequences to citizens) and maliciousness are PIGS.

It is not my opinion that any & all police officers and officials are pigs. I agree that the vast majority are decent people. I doubt that number is 99 percent, but it's probably north of 95 percent. Some of the morally decent ones make mistakes, sometimes with harmful consequences to the public.

Instead of sending some union thug to a press conference to talk about how the PD's shit doesn't stink, why not instead own up to mistakes and ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY for a change???
Give me a break. Speed limits are set ridiculously low in many, many areas. So because the gentlemen gets pulled over for speeding, he deserves to be victimized by piss poor police work?

When an officer gets killed in the line of duty, it often dominates news coverage (rightfully) for multiple days, and usually hundreds & hundreds of officers leave their posts - in some cases from dozens or even hundreds of miles away - to attend the funeral.

When an officer gets killed in the line of duty, the perpetrator is often subject to more severe maximum punishment than if they were to murder a civilian. Thus, in many jurisdictions, greater value is placed on a police officer's life than an ordinary citizen's life.

When an officer wrongfully kills or nearly kills a citizen (whether due to overreaction, poor judgment or excessive force), they act as if the loss or near loss of human life is insignificant and often show zero contrition whatsoever. Instead, they whine about media coverage and lash out at the public in a self-centered manner -- North Miami is a perfect example.

In other words - where the f*ck is the reciprocity?

Part of the problem I describe here can be owed to lack of adequate compensation and training relative to the rigors of the job. "You get what you pay for." In many instances, our cops don't get paid handsomely enough. I think this breeds low morale in some cases, and leads to the hiring of underqualified folks in other instances.
If he doesn't commit the moving violations the cop doesn't budge in the first place.. How is that hard to grasp? By being a turd who can't even come close to the speed limit or stopping he opened himself up to getting stopped. Ultimately he Fucked up and got himself into that mess... It takes two to tango and he's as stupid as they come on that front and deserves ZERO sympathy since he DID do something wrong. Too friggin bad.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:00 pm

I grasp it completely.

It does NOT excuse the fact an arguably incompetent officer cannot distinguish sugar from narcotics and either applied the roadside drug test incorrectly or used faulty equipment to administer the test.

It also does not excuse the fact that the Orlando PD has failed to issue an apology for unnecessarily arresting the man in question and for failing to track accuracy of its roadside drug testing equipment.

I would LOVE to know how many vehicles down that stretch of roadway actually drive at or under the speed limit. I bet it's a small minority.

BTW, that same department's response to the Pulse night club shooting was mediocre. Their ineptitude and lack of urgency led to significantly more casualties than what would have otherwise occurred.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2671907
http://observer.com/2016/06/why-did-orl ... ree-hours/

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I grasp it completely.

It does NOT excuse the fact an arguably incompetent officer cannot distinguish sugar from narcotics and either applied the roadside drug test incorrectly or used faulty equipment to administer the test.

It also does not excuse the fact that the Orlando PD has failed to issue an apology for unnecessarily arresting the man in question and for failing to track accuracy of its roadside drug testing equipment.

I would LOVE to know how many vehicles down that stretch of roadway actually drive at or under the speed limit. I bet it's a small minority.

BTW, that same department's response to the Pulse night club shooting was mediocre. Their ineptitude and lack of urgency led to significantly more casualties than what would have otherwise occurred.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2671907
http://observer.com/2016/06/why-did-orl ... ree-hours/
You won't even acknowledge the motorists role in the incident. Both he and the cops made errors. It takes two sides to cause an issue and if he had done nothing wrong (an out headlight or something) I might have more sympathy. Instead you are choosing to only blame the cops that arrested him and the department for all its admitted errors... Cmon guy... Get with it here.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:36 pm

His error was slight compared to the errors the police made.

Also, many speed limits are pure bullshit and little more than a device to collect revenue. In Michigan, that situation has been largely rectified in recent years, I'm pleased to say.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I have to put the blame on the officer and officer in charge. An eight year veteran that can't tell the difference between meth and doughnut glaze is either stupid or wilfully so. Speeding, you get a ticket, not hauled off to jail.

For those of you that think it's an honest mistake...

1 Meth

2. Krispy Kreme Doughnut Glaze.

Maybe a laymen. Maybe. NOT an experienced law enforcement officer. She ever think to sniff it?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Snorting meth can obviously pose very dangerous health consequences. A mild sniff? Not sure. In other words, I am not so sure a smell test would be the way to go here!

Nonetheless, your point is well taken. Her inability to distinguish between the two substances is disappointing, especially given her boasting of expertise and "experience" in her police report. Not to mention, people often *do* go to 7-11 to buy junk food such as donuts! The man's story was certainly credible, in my opinion, and now we know he was indeed telling the truth.

It's the department's lack of an apology that makes me angry.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 pm

craig11152 wrote:Bryce and I are often on different sides of issues. This is one where we are very much in agreement.
See, told ya. You, TurkeyTop and I could have our very own Beer Summit without one punch being thrown or an ugly word uttered. :razz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic