Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Biden lights $1.9T on fire, refuses to answer questions

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Biden lights $1.9T on fire, refuses to answer questions

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:21 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:22 pm
km1125 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 pm
People get fat because they cannot afford fruits and vegetables. I can go and get 2 cheeseburgers for $2. However, you want 12 ounces of blueberries? That’ll be $5.00.
Ya gotta be kidding me. There's plenty of food that's healthy that doesn't cost what fresh fruit costs.

You can buy a whole lot more rice than you can cheeseburgers for the same amount of money, and the rice will be quite a bit more healthy for you to consume.

Lots of other options than the lazy cheeseburger route.
Why sit there and have rice when you can really go cheap and eat Ramen for .20 a meal? I mean people survive on only rice and ramen and packaged foods like your dollar instant potatoes and Mac and cheese. Yessir good eaten there. It’s very hard to get a wide variety of healthy anything on the same budget as some really crappy stuff that tastes good and will catch up with you later. But the party of no doesn’t plan ahead.
They would rather allow Monsanto to put chemicals in our food which forces everyone to buy organic to stay healthy. But don't worry, the rich can afford organic, so that's all that matters.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:02 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 pm
People get fat because they cannot afford fruits and vegetables. I can go and get 2 cheeseburgers for $2. However, you want 12 ounces of blueberries? That’ll be $5.00.
I can guarantee you that the government reaction to Covid over the past year, in particular the various lockdowns, is contributing far more to our obesity epidemic than is people who can't afford fruits and vegetables. I wonder how many people have basically been holed up for the past year, barely leaving their house because they're now forced to work from home or to babysit their kids who can't go to school, are glued to their smart phones or binge watching Netflix, and aren't going outdoors much for exercise because they're borderline depressed or didn't go to their local gym because it was closed for months on end?

And besides, most people who made lifestyle choices that led to them being poor probably aren't the healthiest eaters to begin with. Giving them money so they can afford healthier food isn't going to lead to them magically changing their diet.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:44 pm

I support COVID-related relief to individuals, struggling families, struggling businesses, local governments and schools.

Such spending constitutes only a minor percentage of the $1.9T of spending contained in the bill that was signed into law.

The bill that passed contained a gigantic amount of pork, and I agree with earlier comments that the mainstream media has done a terrible job communicating specifics to the public. If all the cards were laid on the table, public support for the legislation as passed would almost certainly be significantly lower.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:02 pm

However, you want 12 ounces of blueberries? That’ll be $5.00.
Wait till they go on sale and buy a pint for $2.50. Actually, Meijer is selling pints this week for $2.00 each. (Kroger, on the other hand, is charging an arm & a leg for blueberries this week.)
There's plenty of food that's healthy that doesn't cost what fresh fruit costs.
Bananas are very inexpensive. Grapes are inexpensive when on sale. Oranges aren't bad if you buy them in a 3lb bag.

Do you and MCRF shop at the same overpriced store? :blink

I will never understand the people who do much of their weekly grocery shopping at Whole Foods. Kroger and Meijer both sell plenty of organic products at prices usually significantly cheaper than Whole Foods. I suspect many of the people who shop there are elitists snobs.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:44 pm
...the mainstream media has done a terrible job communicating specifics to the public....
I almost created a separate thread on this topic. The mainstream media is doing nothing more than cheerleading for this bill - every single headline focuses exclusively on the stimulus and when will people get their checks. I haven't see a single mainstream media outlet raise a single question about any of the non-Covid-related spending contained in the bill. It is embarrassing.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:33 pm

100% agreed.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 pm

How much is San Fransisco getting for their new Subway tracks... 10 BILLION?? How is that related to Covid?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:44 pm

Nice headline in Crain's:

'Almost a sickening amount of money': Michigan cities weigh how to spend $4.4 billion windfall from federal stimulus law

As those cities get used to spending that kind of coin, what do you think is going to happen to local property taxes over the next several years??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:52 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:44 pm
Nice headline in Crain's:

'Almost a sickening amount of money': Michigan cities weigh how to spend $4.4 billion windfall from federal stimulus law

As those cities get used to spending that kind of coin, what do you think is going to happen to local property taxes over the next several years??
Not much. They’ve received stimulus before. Taxes didn’t go up. In raw dollars inflation has raised how many dollars you send. Percentage wise taxes are down down down. People don’t connect those dots and we get tax cut after tax cut. Then people wonder why it gets worse and worse and more and more services disappear.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:44 pm
...the mainstream media has done a terrible job communicating specifics to the public....
I almost created a separate thread on this topic. The mainstream media is doing nothing more than cheerleading for this bill - every single headline focuses exclusively on the stimulus and when will people get their checks. I haven't see a single mainstream media outlet raise a single question about any of the non-Covid-related spending contained in the bill. It is embarrassing.
Try reading the New York Times or Washington Post.

I find it interesting that this has shifted to the working poor as the cause of the relief package.

I think this program is going very well. The conservative crowd in my community hasn't complained once.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic