Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Residents abandoning shithole cities post-Covid

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Residents abandoning shithole cities post-Covid

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 12:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:18 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:51 pm
Look how many people have left very red rural areas of the country. Even greater than from Urban areas...
Post-Covid? Where? Cite an example. I'm not talking about Pre-Covid as I already acknowledged that urban areas (at least the ones in FL and CA anyways) saw massive population growth during the 10 years prior. What I'm suggesting is that this trend abruptly changed as soon as Covid hit.

Also, if we're going to start blaming Presidents and Vice-Presidents for poverty, it is fair to point out that poverty levels among black people fell more during Trump's 4 years as President than it did during Obama's 8 years.
Actually, census data provides you answer

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 12:08 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:01 pm
Looks like they are buying into TC Talks' "Traverse City Is The Center Of The Universe" propaganda, all without the benefit of adequate roads, no expressways within 20 miles South, 50 miles East, and traffic jams equivalent to cities 10 times or more larger. And an airport that should have been much further out in retrospect, making short bird fly trips three times longer, wasting gas by having to go around it. If you look at the VFR charts, you'll see that the in the vast majority of larger cities, major airports were built in rural or semi rural areas. Suburban growth since the 1950s may surround them now, but they are still way off to the side from the center of population.
And yet a 1000 sq ft 2 bed 1 bath goes for $520,000 all day long. Go figure...

Why are we on the cover of Vogue in June?

Everything you just cited are valid reasons to move here for people who understand quality of life and aren't homophobic shut ins...

Are you Audiophile's dad?
― Matt

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 21, 2023 12:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:04 pm
Actually, no, it doesn't, as it was taken on April 1, 2020, barely weeks into the pandemic.

I'm still waiting for one example where people, post-Covid, abandoned a specific rural area in larger percentages than some of the urban areas I cited, as you have claimed happened.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 21, 2023 12:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:08 pm

Maybe because Madonna Ciccone's father has a vineyard near there? Vogue Vogue Vogue Vogue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Sun May 21, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Maybe because Madonna's father has a vineyard near there? Vogue Vogue Vogue Vogue....
Could be, but he's dead.
― Matt

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 12:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:04 pm
Actually, no, it doesn't, as it was taken on April 1, 2020, barely weeks into the pandemic.

I'm still waiting for one example where people, post-Covid, abandoned a specific rural area in larger percentages than some of the urban areas I cited, as you have claimed happened.
Wrong again, Census has been running weekly surveys as part of COVID. Less educated young people continue to move out, despite some retirees moving into rural areas. Millennials are also moving from more urban areas to the suburbs as they have kids. Generally, these are more educated and can work from home. I believe 5G and Skylink will be a game changers for rural areas.

https://covid19.census.gov/#anchor-1
― Matt

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 21, 2023 12:36 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Maybe because Madonna's father has a vineyard near there? Vogue Vogue Vogue Vogue....
Could be, but he's dead.
Are you sure you don't mean Anthony? Cant find an obit, unless it is very recent.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 12:45 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:36 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Could be, but he's dead.
Are you sure you don't mean Anthony? Cant find an obit, unless it is very recent.
Salvo died a while ago.
― Matt

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 21, 2023 1:35 pm

Computer Programmers are fond of calling bugs in their programs features.

Are you sure that traffic jams, wasting gas, and living in condos jammed together where you hardly have any view, aren't "bugs", not "features"?

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 1:59 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Computer Programmers are fond of calling bugs in their programs features.

Are you sure that traffic jams, wasting gas, and living in condos jammed together where you hardly have any view, aren't "bugs", not "features"?
We have a great mix. People from urban backgrounds like living in a walkable community like Downtown TC. My rental is a few blocks away, and I keep a bike there, I prefer not driving downtown or to my friends places.

Go 1/3 of a mile from downtown and it's classic small town neighborhoods. Go 2 miles out and you have suburbs. You probably like lots of property for a ham set up and an RV, that's like 10 miles out.

Traffic is a problem for some, but largely a tourist issue. It pales compared to larger cities. MDOT is working on crosstown traffic solutions.

There is something for everyone (even those who like to bitch about everything)

If you look to the East side with the state, small towns like Cheboygan aren't realizing the same growth, but they never worked to eliminate their blithe like old factories and warehouses in their core. Traverse City did this in 1997 - 2005. We used to have a coal powerplant right downtown.

― Matt

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Oh, they added color, like in the movie "Pleasantville"? Was that when Traverse City became corrupted?

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Petoskey is starting to get like Traverse City, many people mention it. Harbor Springs is now getting jammed by New Yorkers trying to escape the chaos, and working from home. But they bring their bad driving and other bad habits with them, judging by their yellow and blue license plates. Cheboygan is slowly changing to a resort and vacation destination. Maybe if they had a ferry to Mackinac Island?

-Author Unknown

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 21, 2023 3:07 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:28 pm
But they bring their bad driving and other bad habits with them...
That has certainly been the case over here in Tawas City for about 8 months out of the year. You can instantly tell in the middle of Spring when the city-folk show up on the roads as they all drive like a bunch of idiots.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 21, 2023 3:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:07 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:28 pm
But they bring their bad driving and other bad habits with them...
That has certainly been the case over here in Tawas City for about 8 months out of the year. You can instantly tell in the middle of Spring when the city-folk show up on the roads as they all drive like a bunch of idiots.
Idiots are few and far between the other 4 months when nobody is there… but mostly because nobody is there. The locals run the gamut too…

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 21, 2023 7:30 pm

In Traverse City, vehicular deaths are caused by life long locals who are either in their 80's or 25 - 48 and drunk. The tourists manage to stay sober while driving. Hopefully the transplants will push the drunks away from town.

Seriously, bar fights are also from locals from Kalkaska, Antrim or Benzie counties who don't know how to be decent humans. I bet they vote Trump.
Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:20 pm
Oh, they added color, like in the movie "Pleasantville"? Was that when Traverse City became corrupted?
My advice? Stay as far away from my little town as possible. Try Imlay City, I hear it's full of your kind.
― Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic