Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Acquitted

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Acquitted

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Even the TV station Jesse Helms once owned extraordinarily published an editorial pleading for Senator Burr to vote to convict (which he ultimately did):

https://www.wral.com/editorial/19524411/
Shall we hold all the elected officials who have voiced support, as well as the ones that have refused to rebuke them, responsible for the riot and beating of a journalist and police officers in D.C. last night?

Shall we hold the anti police elected officials responsible for the murders of police officers?
While those who want to defund the police are indeed radicals, there is a gigantic gulf between simply wanting to "defund" the police versus wishing injury or death on those who serve.

If Joe Blow is Mayor, knows his police station or city hall is under imminent attack by rioters, and then sits back and taunts those begging him to call in reinforcements, then Joe Blow should be removed from office and should be prosecuted.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Hostages?
Did you not watch any of the video shot from inside the Capitol that day or listen to any of the interviews from those who were under attack?

You evidently believe Congressman Meijer has no idea what he's talking about, either? (Go to reason.com or any other number of sites to read his remarks.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/larry-broc ... -hostages/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pro ... s-75263364

https://www.ajc.com/news/rioters-planne ... LBC4O3LVE/

Pence and others feared for their personal safety. There was a gallows wheeled in outside the Capitol. There were dozens if not hundreds of people who wanted to do very, very bad things to elected officials they viewed as being disloyal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:00 pm

Know who has been eerily quiet while impeachment and the trial played out?

Mike Pence. No mention of it on his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:04 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:28 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:17 pm

My preference would have been for the U.S. Attorney's office in the District of Colombia to consider bringing charges against Trump.

On this we can agree. That is where charges should have been brought.

If so, the case presented by the House Managers would have been thrown out and they would have been given a severe reporemand.

Shall we hold all the elected officials who have voiced support for BLM, as well as the ones that have refused to rebuke them, responsible for the riot and beating of a journalist and police officers in D.C. last night?

Shall we hold the anti police elected officials responsible for the murders of police officers?
The case by the house managers would not have been thrown out and they would not have faced a reprimand had criminal charges been filed. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm

The way they presented it certainly would have
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:04 pm

McConnell's remarks were interesting and not entirely surprising. Basically said he only voted no because the Senate was not the proper venue to try the ex-President. He said arriving at his decision was "a close call," and he did harshly rebuke Trump's actions.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:00 pm
Know who has been eerily quiet while impeachment and the trial played out?

Mike Pence. No mention of it on his Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor
I've said before in past threads.
I believe he will fade into the woodwork since he left office. Low profile. Maybe like others said, sit on a board or two.
Maybe make some Chamber of Commerce speeches. But for the most part, fall off the public radar.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:25 pm

I'm thinking the US taxpayers should send the DNC a bill for this exercise that was doomed from the get go. You knew he wouldn't be convicted, they knew he wouldn't be convicted, everyone knew he wouldn't be convicted. Yet they proceeded anyway.

They should be held liable for the costs.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm
The way they presented it certainly would have
Impeachment is not a legal proceeding. The presentation is not bound by the same conventions. It’s apples and oranges.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:05 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:13 pm
To the rest of MW's actual response: I called for Trump to resign, but this impeachment sham was a waste of time and resources.
Should he have been convicted? Yes. Waste it a waste of time? Yes, we knew there were not enough votes. I didn't watch a minute of it.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:32 am

I'm thinking the US taxpayers should send the DNC a bill for this exercise that was doomed from the get go. You knew he wouldn't be convicted, they knew he wouldn't be convicted, everyone knew he wouldn't be convicted. Yet they proceeded anyway.

They should be held liable for the costs.
I agree it was doomed from the get go.

I'm fine with your proposal, so long as the RNC is sent the bill for all the damage Trump's supporters caused at the Capitol and for all the expenses incurred by each state due to bogus election fraud claims.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:32 am
I'm fine with your proposal, so long as the RNC is sent the bill for all the damage Trump's supporters caused at the Capitol and for all the expenses incurred by each state due to bogus election fraud claims.
The RNC is populated with a fair amount of Never Trumper's. It wouldn't be just to send them the bill. Trump himself could be an option for a portion of the bill because, as many believe, he lit the match so to speak. But lets not forget the people who provided the kindling and poured gasoline on it over the past four years.

As far as voter fraud, there indeed was voter fraud. There are any number of examples that I could list. Enough to swing the election? We'll never know.

The bigger issue to me is the rigging of the election system and changing of procedures that took place in the "battleground" states.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:13 am

Every clerk and Secretary of State who has reviewed results and procedures concluded any errors were on the margins and were immaterial to the outcome. Many such individuals who arrived at these conclusions are Republicans, including the Kent County, MI clerk, who is of prominent Republican family lineage.

I would prefer to see an independent audit from a reputable independent auditing firm with regard to results in not only the close battleground states but also the not-so-close battleground states like Ohio and Florida.

Lawsuit after lawsuit challenging the results was dismissed, because the briefs were loaded with unproven speculation and allegations of fraudulent occurrences were successfully refuted by expert witnesses.

I do agree that procedures were changed in battleground states late in the process, perhaps in ways that contradicted state election law in certain states, but state courts had plenty of time before Election Day to step in. They didn't. Whether that was right or wrong is fair game for debate. Trump's campaign handlers should've recrafted their strategy accordingly. In contrast, Biden's ads were ubiquitous, especially on digital platforms. Trump never made a concerted effort to reach beyond his core base.

Trump lost because his campaign strategy was wrong, his debate performance (especially the first one) was terrible, he fumbled health care related questions badly, and he didn't do a very good job at all of laying out a policy agenda for a second term. On top of all of that, he wasn't doing a great job on COVID-19 messaging, at times appearing unsympathetic to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost loved ones to the virus.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:57 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:32 am
The RNC is populated with a fair amount of Never Trumper's. It wouldn't be just to send them the bill. Trump himself could be an option for a portion of the bill because, as many believe, he lit the match so to speak. But lets not forget the people who provided the kindling and poured gasoline on it over the past four years.

As far as voter fraud, there indeed was voter fraud. There are any number of examples that I could list. Enough to swing the election? We'll never know.

The bigger issue to me is the rigging of the election system and changing of procedures that took place in the "battleground" states.
If the Republican Party was capable of introspection and remaking itself for the 21st century with fresh ideas for good government they could start winning the popular vote and never have to worry about it again. As it stands they haven’t won it in 30 years except for 2004. For some reason they don’t understand that you generally need a platform and good ideas that are broadly popular to win. They don’t have either one and show no signs of trying to fix the problem and that is quite frankly completely baffling. It’s the easiest path to getting what they want.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:15 am

Sadly I don't think we are done with this shit show yet. I have read legitimate news articles about legislation being readied to keep Trump form running again. Obviously it would have to be generic and not name him and also using the 14th amendment to keep him from running again. maybe I am wrong but it seems to be the Democrats are scared shitless that he will run and win again and are trying anything possible to keep it from happening. In the meantime they are holding back the Biden agenda from moving forward. They only hurt themselves.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic