Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 7:45p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
User avatar
Reese K Rickards
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:06 pm

How miserable is radio pay these days?

I believe that I posted here some time ago that I was making well into the six figures at B-93. Neal thought I was crazy when I said I wasn't worried about a tax increase, I felt well compensated. I fear that level of pay has not carried over. Matt Gilcheck, of Matt and Aly, is married to a successful business woman, Until recently she was the manager of Rivertown Crossing.

I am told opportunity knocked and she was offered a new gig. I am also told it is in TX. (Austin???) Money talks. They packed up, along with the dogs, and moved. Now Matt is doing the morning show from Texas, with Aly running the board in GR. I am told the show sounds very stilted and I am not surprised.

In all the years B has been on the air WOOD and only WOOD has occasionally beat them 12 plus. That happened again in December and I wonder if a slide into third place is coming.

I was also surprised to learn the sales staff was told (virus) to go home last March and are still at home. There is no way I heart needs three floors of prime real estate in downtown GR.


If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MatthewMckenzie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by MatthewMckenzie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Local GR radio is almost in ashes these days. Sure is nice to hear Conrad (and friends) on Jethro - talking about local things - I especially loved the weather report from "outside the window" in Grandville!

Good luck to Matt in Texas - I'm sure he's bright enough to know that if his wife has a good (and stable) gig Texas, probably the safest bet at this point. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that 77 Monroe center could have 2-3 people left on the 9th floor within the next year or two. The Entire AIR STAFF for 7 stations.

I will say that Michigan Radio (WVGR) has been my new go-to for good radio. Very professional and LIVE. Jethro is a fun listen, although the whole "3rd favorite station" bit I think isn't really that funny or cute, but good luck to them!



User avatar
Reese K Rickards
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:37 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by Reese K Rickards on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.


If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5385
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:11 am

I am told the show sounds very stilted and I am not surprised.
Hasn't it always sounded that way to some extent? Never was a big fan of his work in mornings.

However, I'd rather B93 keep him on the air - even if from Texas - than resort to airing Bobby Bones in A.M. drive!


Using Robinhood for online equities and options trades is a terrible idea. USE A LEGITIMATE BROKER-DEALER INSTEAD! (Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Edward Jones, etc.)

BayCityJohn2337
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:44 am

Maybe B93 could drop them both and carry the Big D and Bubba program?



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5385
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:35 am

Yuck; no thanks.


Using Robinhood for online equities and options trades is a terrible idea. USE A LEGITIMATE BROKER-DEALER INSTEAD! (Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Edward Jones, etc.)

option1
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by option1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm

Eventually Reese you’ll come to the realization that radio is dead. They are subtracting not adding. For those that have survived this long, be prepared, It’s just a matter of time before your number is called. Mention radio to any savvy investor and they’ll laugh in your face. The audience/listeners/advertisers don’t give a shit. Times are a changin’ and it’s only going to get worse.



User avatar
Reese K Rickards
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 pm

I disagree strenuously. Corporate radio is doing it's best to kill radio as we know it. In many places it is on life support. But one of two things will eventually bring it back around. Sometime most places a frequency will become available. Bought by radio pigs it will prosper and dominate the market. OR Corporate radio will run itself into the ground, file for total bankruptcy, return licenses to the FCC or launch a fire sale, and radio pigs will finally get a chance to bring back real radio.


If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

andymuskegon
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:06 am
Location: muskegon mi

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by andymuskegon » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:23 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 pm
I disagree strenuously. Corporate radio is doing it's best to kill radio as we know it. In many places it is on life support. But one of two things will eventually bring it back around. Sometime most places a frequency will become available. Bought by radio pigs it will prosper and dominate the market. OR Corporate radio will run itself into the ground, file for total bankruptcy, return licenses to the FCC or launch a fire sale, and radio pigs will finally get a chance to bring back real radio.
one thing that us "old timers" forget reese is intuitive programming. it's immensely difficult to program against an algorithm that develops a play list off the users favorite 20 artists. not to say it can't be done, but even the brightest programmers are getting in the ring with tyson against that. don't forget too, the "farm team" it's been eviscerated by the giants. the last two years i was on the amistat, i didn't get a single tape or resume to come work in a market where people are sposed to start. no one. this too isn't an impossible task, but it's going to take a while to build up relevant local talent.


http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

User avatar
Reese K Rickards
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Andy you are almost always right. I've never been a programmer, but I know about something the giants have relegated to the rubbish heap. Good ol' fashioned music testing. It should be done at least once a year. It worked perfectly for B 93 in 1992, and would work for another start up.

You are dead on about the minor leagues. Decimated. I don't even know where you would advertise an opening these days. But good college broadcasting universities are still turning out graduates, My station would reach out to them. The diamonds in the rough are still out there desperate for jobs, and they will clobber the Bobby Bones of the world.


If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MatthewMckenzie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by MatthewMckenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:38 pm

You are dead on about the minor leagues. Decimated. I don't even know where you would advertise an opening these days. But good college broadcasting universities are still turning out graduates, My station would reach out to them. The diamonds in the rough are still out there desperate for jobs, and they will clobber the Bobby Bones of the world.
This. This is the biggest issue with "talent" going forward. You guys nailed it. I was coming up through radio just as the merger/downsize mania was starting around 1997. I felt like I was a bit of the last generation for a real chance on the "farm team" as you guys call it. I learned from some of the absolute BEST - but there was no one behind me. The positions were eliminated one by one - even basic entry level opportunities were eliminated in the name of cost savings - ever year it was 5, 10, 15 or more positions. A former radio man (now on TV) once referred to every November as the "Clearchannel Christmas Trimmings" - because you knew it was coming.

Best chance then (and maybe now more than ever) is small market, locally owned places. As Andy said, most have soured so much on the industry as a whole there just isn't a bunch of eager radio/broadcast kids like their used to be. This also could easily be applied to TV as well.

Reese is correct, if there was a real LOCAL well run station, it would kill the competition.



option1
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by option1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:49 pm

It’s nice to see you guys wax nostalgic about the good old days of radio, but you are delusional if you think any local air talent would “crush” any major syndicated radio show, or that a “local” (whatever that is nowadays) well run station can kill a heavily syndicated stick. Listening habits and expectations are forever changed. Blame whoever you want but but the direction that radio has taken over the course of the past decade or so has changed the game. Forever.

While it’s fantastic to dream that if I hit the lottery for a billion I would buy a station and beat ihearts ass it just wouldn’t be a sound theory. The game plan that iheart has laid out is the future of radio. A stream-lined low cost nationally syndicated brand of radio that investors might be interested in. It’s bean-counter radio. Sure, your little 50k watt station would sound great and you’d be having the time of your life, but your revenue and billing would be minimal because iheart is selling five station bundles undercutting you by 75% per unit.

Hey, I’m like you guys. I miss the good old days of radio. But I miss my flip phone too. Radio the way you guys are discussing it is flip phone radio. It has been replaced and archived.



User avatar
Reese K Rickards
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:12 pm

Neal and I did a pretty good job kicking Sterns ass. IMVHO.


If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

User avatar
tannersboat
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by tannersboat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:12 pm
Neal and I did a pretty good job kicking Sterns ass. IMVHO.
Ummm, what? In what world do you think you were going after that audience?

You were clearly a tertiary choice for most of your career behind Rick & Scott, Andy & Chuck, Tony Gates, and Gary Allen. Eventually Free Beer and Hot Wings put you out of your misery. You had absolutely zero effect on Stern's audience. B93 mornings always underperformed the rest of the day. The real star on that station was Conrad.

You lucked out when your owner bought CUZ and shifted their focus to 'classic country'. Also, don't forget when Flounder took your 18-34 numbers because you were talking about pressure systems 5 times an hour. You were a glorified weather stringer that was forced out twice at iHeart.

Most would rather listen to Matt based in Texas than your lazy
bloviating while Neal carries the show. Enjoy that you were in the right place at the right time sailor.



frankie knuckles
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by frankie knuckles » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am

tannersboat wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 pm
Reese K Rickards wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:12 pm
Neal and I did a pretty good job kicking Sterns ass. IMVHO.
Ummm, what? In what world do you think you were going after that audience?

You were clearly a tertiary choice for most of your career behind Rick & Scott, Andy & Chuck, Tony Gates, and Gary Allen. Eventually Free Beer and Hot Wings put you out of your misery. You had absolutely zero effect on Stern's audience. B93 mornings always underperformed the rest of the day. The real star on that station was Conrad.

You lucked out when your owner bought CUZ and shifted their focus to 'classic country'. Also, don't forget when Flounder took your 18-34 numbers because you were talking about pressure systems 5 times an hour. You were a glorified weather stringer that was forced out twice at iHeart.

Most would rather listen to Matt based in Texas than your lazy
bloviating while Neal carries the show. Enjoy that you were in the right place at the right time sailor.
Uh oh. You’ve done it now.

He’s going to tell us all about how he “used to make well into the six figures” and how he now “lives on a yacht” in Florida.

Dude is sucking down Busch Lights on a paddle boat in Gainesville waiting for his Social Security check



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic