Page 11 of 31

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:05 am
by mapletrees
David Bowie on 89X?! I’ll take it!

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:06 am
by syntheticexctasy
BFSEsq wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:03 am
jaywmi wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:56 am You can find a "scoped" version (songs played are abbreviated to stay within copyright rules) of the switchover at https://formatchangearchive.com/89x-returns/
ZenithCKLW wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:49 am Did anyone get the switchover recorded?
This is awesome. I can't believe how FAST this went up. And it's great that it also preserves some of the Spanish promos they were playing before the switch.
I recorded the switchover, it's in a link I posted earlier in the thread.

Also, just heard the "classic drop" someone above described - and I have to say i'm not upset. David Bowie - Modern Love is on right now.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:08 am
by syntheticexctasy
ah I see now, someone got a much better recording than I LOL

Sorry for the extra noise

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:10 am
by MWmetalhead
Good balance so far. I'm glad none of the people who helmed 89X's downfall seemed involved with this new effort.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:12 am
by MegaHertz
ZenithCKLW wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:49 am Did anyone get the switchover recorded?
I did but it's too crackly. I wouldn't post it on my channel. Thanks to jaywmi for the help.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:26 am
by MWmetalhead
A guy who interned on the old Dean & Kelly "Morning X" show in the late 90s is supposedly leading the relaunch. He is doing a phenomenal job.

My first impression so far is highly positive! What I'm hearing is exceeding my (admittedly somewhat low) expectations.

The launch sequence is replaying right now.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:28 am
by BFSEsq
I like that they're replaying the launch.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:28 am
by Art Van Damme
So many questions:

Is this reincarnation of 89X targeting Windsor only?
The verbiage of the sweepers give me the impression that this station is solely concerned with Windsor (or it could be tongue-in-cheek and they ARE going after Detroit listeners).

Given the current political climate in Canada, I surmise that it would be frowned-upon for a Canadian-based radio station
to have anything to do with the U.S.

Have we (as a group) determined that this isn’t just a weekend fling?

Any word or rumor about a possible Detroit sales office or USA-based sales rep?

(I may have to stand corrected: I just heard an introduction promo that mentioned Detroit at great length)

89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:32 am
by thatonedude
Art Van Damme wrote:So many questions:

Is this reincarnation of 89X targeting Windsor only?
The verbiage of the sweepers give me the impression that this station is solely concerned with Windsor (or it could be tongue-in-cheek and they ARE going after Detroit listeners).

Given the current political climate in Canada, I surmise that it would be frowned-upon for a Canadian-based radio station
to have anything to do with the U.S.

Have we (as a group) determined that this isn’t just a weekend fling?

Any word or rumor about a possible Detroit sales office or USA-based sales rep?

(I may have to stand corrected: I just heard an introduction promo that mentioned Detroit at great length)
Primary positioner is “Windsor’s Alternative”. Only time Detroit was mentioned was in the launch sequence, otherwise they’re not mentioning it at all.

Not a stunt either — it’s definitely back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:35 am
by BFSEsq
"Typhoons" by Royal Blood. Had to look this up. 2021.

I'm VERY impressed when they play a song I've never heard.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:47 am
by MegaHertz
So now my curiosity gets the better of me.

I have to wonder what this could do to other rock formatted stations in the area outside of 98.7.

WRIF has definitely upped their quotient of 90s and 00s titles never previously heard on that station. What does this do to Riff? Same, in a lesser way with WLLZ, and even less to WCSX. Now they have a place to get all their gold titles without sitting through Led Zeppelin and Journey and Poison.

What WRIF passes as contemporary rock sucks ass anyway.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:07 am
by syntheticexctasy
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:26 am A guy who interned on the old Dean & Kelly "Morning X" show in the late 90s is supposedly leading the relaunch. He is doing a phenomenal job.

My first impression so far is highly positive! What I'm hearing is exceeding my (admittedly somewhat low) expectations.

The launch sequence is replaying right now.
MW! We agree completely!! put it on your calendar!
I'm impressed with the playlist so far myself. This was always one of the best parts of OLD SCHOOL 89x - they'd open your ears to stuff that's not in rotation elsewhere (but still tastefully chosen)

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:33 am
by BFSEsq
syntheticexctasy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:07 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:26 am A guy who interned on the old Dean & Kelly "Morning X" show in the late 90s is supposedly leading the relaunch. He is doing a phenomenal job.

My first impression so far is highly positive! What I'm hearing is exceeding my (admittedly somewhat low) expectations.

The launch sequence is replaying right now.
MW! We agree completely!! put it on your calendar!
I'm impressed with the playlist so far myself. This was always one of the best parts of OLD SCHOOL 89x - they'd open your ears to stuff that's not in rotation elsewhere (but still tastefully chosen)

Exactly. The guy in charge now is smart. He knows 89X was a trendsetter not because they played any old alt rock but because they played any cool new modern stuff that people hadn't heard before, whatever it was. "The Cutting Edge." It's how they started. They were a commercial station playing college rock, essentially.

Holy shit, "Murder on the Dancefloor" by Royel Otis. These are deep cuts. This is an Australian band. I don't know how much play they get in the States. I wonder if this PD listens to Triple J out of Australia.

I grabbed a screenshot of this: the iHeart app actually used Triple J's artwork when the song played. https://ibb.co/8DDgwQ9M

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:41 am
by Chrocket87
Alt 98.7 played that Royel Otis song a bit last year.

But, yeah, good song and band.

Re: 89X returns?

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:51 am
by BFSEsq
Chrocket87 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 11:41 am Alt 98.7 played that Royel Otis song a bit last year.

But, yeah, good song and band.
Ok, I stand corrected. I have to be honest, I don't listen to Alt 98.7 a ton.

And yet I'm excited about this. Weird and hypocritical? Maybe. Lol I guess they got me with the nostalgia factor.