Page 10 of 31
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:13 am
by syntheticexctasy
Recorded this morning from my qth (49270) where interestingly, there's a new translator on 88.7 nearby (Adrian). 88.7 is a mess in the car, south of Milan and West of US23
https://youtu.be/Z2SSNy8iBfQ?si=FQQVjYvkc1kahSAZ
89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:14 am
by thatonedude
Wish You Were Here by Incubus is playing now.
Such an underrated song in my eyes.
Edit: finally hearing the Hip. At the Hundredth Meridian, so good.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:19 am
by MegaHertz
That might be hurting me a little bit, too. I have Impact FM on 88.9. Plus it's all in the basement.
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:20 am
by MegaHertz
Nope, but I'll be sending him a Christmas card

Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:20 am
by syntheticexctasy
Just heard the first cancom tune lol (a tragically hip tune)
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:22 am
by syntheticexctasy
MegaHertz wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:19 am
That might be hurting me a little bit, too. I have Impact FM on 88.9. Plus it's all in the basement.
Impact 89's hd sidebands do affect me, but I have a directional antenna on the home stereo
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:28 am
by syntheticexctasy
Here's a sample of what I get in the mobile from Petersburg MI (Adrian translator eating CIMX)
https://youtu.be/24-57PFb_K4?si=pAA_ojVL_IIJoBXa
89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:30 am
by thatonedude
I lived in Tecumseh for a while. 89X was a bitch to pull in, even before any translator plopped themselves there. 93.9 was only marginally better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:34 am
by mikemach
Listening to 89X right now on my little Magnavox boombox I got around 1990. It's the same one I used to listen to the "cutting edge" on when it was evenings only on 88.7 way back when. Somehow it just seems fitting.
Spinning the tuner to get that far down the FM dial was not easy as this thing is old, it was hanging up around 93.
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:35 am
by BFSEsq
I remember when I lived up in Macomb County (Shelby Twp) as a teen, it was so hard to get 89X to come in in the basement.
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:38 am
by BFSEsq
Man, we need some more classic drops or something. I think we've kind of already settled into a rhythm here. I mean, I'm not shocked. Still good to have it back.
That article from 7 quotes them as having DJs "in the coming weeks."
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:49 am
by ZenithCKLW
Did anyone get the switchover recorded?
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:56 am
by jaywmi
You can find a "scoped" version (songs played are abbreviated to stay within copyright rules) of the switchover at
https://formatchangearchive.com/89x-returns/
ZenithCKLW wrote: ↑Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:49 am
Did anyone get the switchover recorded?
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 9:59 am
by BFSEsq
One thing I thought of that might have affected the decision to go purely Canadian and call it "Windsor's Alternative": the big pro-Canada sentiment right now on that side of the border thanks to Trump.
I occasionally listen to an alt station out of Toronto ("Indie 88") and the amount of commercials they air specifically pointing out Canadian pride, made in Canada, all-Canadian businesses etc is through the roof.
Maybe they thought specifically tying Detroit to it at this moment was a bad idea politically.
Re: 89X returns?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2025 10:03 am
by BFSEsq
This is awesome. I can't believe how FAST this went up. And it's great that it also preserves some of the Spanish promos they were playing before the switch.
Edit: Wait a minute, either I'm missing something or it's not playing correctly for me, or this does not actually capture the switch. It cuts off before it.