All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WPRR 1680

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Post Reply
GrahamWellington
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2024 4:49 pm

WPRR 1680

Unread post by GrahamWellington »

Question - are FM translators of AM stations allowed to broadcast if the AM signal is off the air for reasons other than signing off at night or other FCC-approved reasons?
I've noticed WPRR is rarely on the air, but 102.5 is always humming along just fine.
zzand
Posts: 3256
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by zzand »

My understanding is unless you are on air for an FCC approved reason the translator has to sign off until the AM returns to the air.
Realoldiesmusicradio
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2025 10:56 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by Realoldiesmusicradio »

It's been like that for months now, and when 1680 is on the air, they run separate programming from the translator which is also a violation.
ENG
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by ENG »

They just got hit with a Notice of Violation for not maintaining EAS logs.... AM must have been on the air whatever day the FCC visited.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/goodrich-r ... ation-wprr
User avatar
Big-D
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:18 am
Contact:

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by Big-D »

I’ll put it like this, the EAS logs were always kept up when I was running WPRR.
Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; KEPJ-LP in San Antonio, TX. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.
GrahamWellington
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2024 4:49 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by GrahamWellington »

Big-D wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 5:34 am I’ll put it like this, the EAS logs were always kept up when I was running WPRR.
Who is responsible for the logs, Goodrich or Bynum?
Realoldiesmusicradio
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2025 10:56 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by Realoldiesmusicradio »

For What it's worth, all this time they've been "off the air", the transmitter has been on with no audio, just a dead carrier. I've heard since this thread was started that they now have audio on the air too.
EdWalker
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by EdWalker »

GrahamWellington wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 3:04 pm
Big-D wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 5:34 am I’ll put it like this, the EAS logs were always kept up when I was running WPRR.
Who is responsible for the logs, Goodrich or Bynum?
The buck stops with Goodrich since the license is still in his name (and why the FCC notice was to Goodrich). The station's chief operator is responsible internally, which is either a Goodrich or Bynum employee.
GrahamWellington
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2024 4:49 pm

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by GrahamWellington »

Realoldiesmusicradio wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 5:16 pm For What it's worth, all this time they've been "off the air", the transmitter has been on with no audio, just a dead carrier. I've heard since this thread was started that they now have audio on the air too.
Well it didn't last as 1680 was/is completely off the air today. 102.5 came in strong as ever.
User avatar
Big-D
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:18 am
Contact:

Re: WPRR 1680

Unread post by Big-D »

GrahamWellington wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 3:04 pm
Big-D wrote: ↑Tue Jun 03, 2025 5:34 am I’ll put it like this, the EAS logs were always kept up when I was running WPRR.
Who is responsible for the logs, Goodrich or Bynum?
I assume Tyrone Bynum is listed as the operator of the station.
Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; KEPJ-LP in San Antonio, TX. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.
Post Reply