Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The new 910AM News Talk Superstation

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: The new 910AM News Talk Superstation

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:49 pm

Sa-weet! I have another option now to hear how Democrats cause 93% of all cancers!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:53 pm

Kudlow sounds like a pull string doll when he speaks.
All I hear is a hodge podge of tired one or two line sound bites with little substance or data in support of them.

Many years ago, and I do mean many years ago, his show was a bit more appealing. His TV and radio work each come across as lazy to me.

Bob Brinker was good. He came across as knowledgeable and his content had substance.

Call me crazy - but I sorta miss Bruce Williams. His evening show was a fixture on WOOD 1300 for years.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:57 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:49 pm
Sa-weet! I have another option now to hear how Democrats cause 93% of all cancers!
Get your facts straight. It's 94.7
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:00 pm

I remember billboards during the urban talk format. Whether Adell decides to spend some coin again is up for debate.

One show I didn’t see listed on weekends is Handel on the Law. One of the funniest shows on the radio, especially when you have multiple stupid cases in a row.

Fox Sports is the plan weekend overnights.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Handel on the Law is terrific. I completely agree.

1160 carried him for a brief time, but their horrendous audio issues made his very good program unlistenable most of the time.

Some of the Sunday programming is from Red Apple Media (flagship station being WABC).

I'm happy to see Gary Sullivan on the Saturday schedule.

I wonder who will replace Wallbanger (Hannity) on WDTK?

As for AQH share predictions - I'll predict a 0.6 share by February. Not good yet much better than the old format. Sadly, that would easily be good enough for third place among the AM stations in the Detroit market.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:57 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:49 pm
Get your facts straight. It's 94.7
94.7? Then we will call it the "Bob Seger Syndrome".

Speaking of David Newman, I haven't forgotten about you. I still have that CD I made for you but the post office around here gives me an aneurysm.
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Old Bob's a lefty. He won't be tuning into the new 910 superstation.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:34 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm
Is he? I had no idea. The only thing I care about Seger is changing the station when a song of his comes on.
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Like many high net worth individuals, I suspect he is Conservative when it involves his own assets. I don't remember him mentioning much about politics. The less said the better. Why blow off half your potential fans?
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:03 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:11 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:39 pm

According to my moles on the inside, Bongino was/is a dumpster fire, and that's coming from stations other than WJR. Aside from that, why carry a show when the host has already said "I'm outta here at end of my contract"?
Interesting. Kind of odd that he isn't able to transfer the success of his podcast numbers to radio. If memory serves he was number 14 of the most listened to in 2022. Both Beck and Levin were in the 40's.

WJR is airing Matt Walsh and the "fast talking " Ben Shapiro. I (think he and Paul Woods both went to the same speaking coach.). I know Shapiro pulls nice numbers, but can't imagine Walsh comes close to Bongino. I get that Bongino might be a hard sell to certain advertisers, but christ, Gordon and Smith are like one long infomercial snooze fest. Seldom if ever compelling and lacking any chuckle moments

I'd rather listen to old David Newman tapes. Hell, I'm at the point I might even listen to a Camron show if I could find it.
Bongino is a nonsensical babbler. His constant quotes from bad 80's movies is absurd. It almost seems like a ridiculous directive that consultant Walt Sabo would dictate. He veers far off topic and can't find his way back. I do know he was turned down in both Dayton and Cincinnati. He doesn't appear to be on in Orlando either, or he's on one of the many also-ran AMs that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the kind words about David Newman. I had the privilege to work with David THREE different times, twice at WXYT, and later in the Fisher Building. He was the best. Hands down.

Handel on the law would be fantastic. WCXI had it, but often replayed the same show for weeks on end.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:49 pm

Maybe 910 could carry Charlie Kirk, Who's about as insufferable as Danny Boy Bongino, If YUGE had a all political talk show instead of sports He'd be identical to that guy, him or Anthony Bellino.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:22 am

Tiny little AM 1480/106.9 WIOS up here in Tawas City has quite the variety on weekends and a superior weekday schedule, IMO, for a conservative talk format. Outside of a 2-hour military show Sunday morning, weekends are completely non-political.

5-9a - America's 1st News w/Gordon Deal
9-12 - Hugh Hewitt
12-3 - Buck & Clay
3-6p - Hannity
6-9p - Levin
9-12 - Dave Ramsey
12-1 - The Paracast
1-5a - Coast to Coast AM

Sat
5-7 - America's 1st News Weekend w/Gordon Deal
7-10 - Mike Avery Outdoors
10-1 - Kim Komando
1-3 - Today's Homewoner w/Danny Lipford
3-4 - The Money Pit
4-5 - Behind the Mitten
5-6 - Tech it Out w/Marc Saltzman
6-10 - Hollywood 360 Old-time Radio
10-12 - When Radio Was
12-4 - Somewhere in Time w/Art Bell

Sun
4-6 - Frontlines of Freedom w/Col. Denny Gillem
6-9 - Mike Avery Outdoors
9-10 - Pat Boone
10-11 - Local Church Service
11-12 - The Bionic Bishop
12-1 - Legends of Success w/John Resnick
1-4 - Handel on the Law
4-6 - Under the Hood Automotive Advice
6-7 - Fat Guys at the Movies
7-8 - Good Day Health w/Doug Stephan
8-9 - Steve Dale's Pet World
9-12 - Ark Midnight w/John B. Wells

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:46 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Like many high net worth individuals, I suspect he is Conservative when it involves his own assets. I don't remember him mentioning much about politics.
In addition to my personal knowledge pertaining to social issues, I will post this quote from an Mlive interview.
Seger says Hillary Clinton is his favorite candidate, but he really likes a lot of what Bernie Sanders has to say.
Another name I'll throw into the mix that I enjoy when I travel out of market is Joe Pags. Love to see him on in Detroit.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Joe Pags (known as Joe Parker when he was a news anchor at WLAJ) still has property in the state. He's now based in San Antonio.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:44 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:46 am
Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Like many high net worth individuals, I suspect he is Conservative when it involves his own assets. I don't remember him mentioning much about politics.
In addition to my personal knowledge pertaining to social issues, I will post this quote from an Mlive interview.
Seger says Hillary Clinton is his favorite candidate, but he really likes a lot of what Bernie Sanders has to say.
hap
Another name I'll throw into the mix that I enjoy when I travel out of market is Joe Pags. Love to see him on in Detroit.
Estimates put Bob Seger's net worth at $60,000,000. Perhaps Hill and Bernie support special loopholes for him and others like him?

Unless WJR plans to become a leading News Station going up against WWJ, I think WJR ratings will suffer from blowing off conservative hosts and audience. Cumulus has been making some very boneheaded decisions lately in my opinion, and it probably has to do with the lenders holding their debt pushing unconservative formats. Recently, they dismissed Michigan native Michael DelGiorno at WWTN Nashville, and their ratings since are down reportedly 25%. He'd been there over 15 years.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic