Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thu. night - Saturday storm system

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Thu. night - Saturday storm system

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:39 am
NB - Oh, I made sure your wife got plenty of inches.
I didn't know you were a trannychaser.

Where have you been the last 10 years?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:18 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:39 am
NB - Oh, I made sure your wife got plenty of inches.
I didn't know you were a trannychaser.

Where have you been the last 10 years?
Chasing the same tranny as you, obviously. Go to work.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:28 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:46 pm

. I use MyRadar… pretty much the most accurate and sensitive radar....
I just downloaded it based on that glowing review.

I worked outdoors for 28 years and back then I was more in tune to the daily weather. For a big chunk of that time that meant TV and radio because the Internet was really a thing for the average guy.
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:31 am

I gave that app a try. I like RadarScope much better. James Spann and Gary England used to use RadarScope screenshots on-air on occasion during severe weather coverage at their respective TV stations. That's how good it is.

One big downside to RadarScope is you can only view data from one radar site at a time. That's fine by me, though, since I know how to quickly pull up different radar sites.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:06 am

What a crazy surface map!

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/curre ... e-analysis

The low pressure center over eastern NY state robbed a lot of moisture from our system. When moisture for our system was still plentiful, it was all rain near and east of US 23. Mild air from the east was wrapping into the system.

Cincinnati has picked up more snowfall than Metro Detroit, oddly enough. About four inches have fallen there. Louisville has seen similar totals.

The wind gusts are nasty at my place. Many gusts to 40 mph and above already.

The Arctic air has seeped ridiculously far south. It is 17 degrees and sunny in Houston, TX right now!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:24 am

I am sweating broken water lines on our farm in Tennessee at the moment. We are keeping things on a drip. Nashville doesn't do zero well...

Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:24 am

The wind is causing more snow pile ups than anything. It really doesn't look like any other normal winter system we get here in February.

Of course, it isn't over yet, but I expected at least 3-4 by now.
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:12 am

We got just shy of 2 inches of snow here in Tawas City. I think over half of the total volume of moisture fell as rain.

We have the warm spot too....still 21 degrees here.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:31 am
I gave that app a try. I like RadarScope much better. James Spann and Gary England used to use RadarScope screenshots on-air on occasion during severe weather coverage at their respective TV stations. That's how good it is.

One big downside to RadarScope is you can only view data from one radar site at a time. That's fine by me, though, since I know how to quickly pull up different radar sites.
My big problem with RadarScope is that it’s $10 and it looks like a subscription is a great idea to really get the most out of it. No thanks. On principle if I don’t have to pay for it and get a lot of mileage out of it that’s the one I’ll pick. MyRadar has a subscription but doesn’t offer anything I need that badly behind the paywall. I did look for a free version of RadarScope to no avail.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:25 am

My favorite free radar was always the ones at radblast.wunderground.com, but they shut those down about a year or so ago.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:33 am

The Weather Channel did the best job forecasting accumulations 24 to 48 hours in advance, followed by Fox 2. WXYZ gets the bronze.

AccuWeather and WDIV were the worst. Both were still holding onto their 6 to 10 inch predictions late last evening, which was absurd based on radar trends.

The credibility of Kim Adams as a forecaster took a major hit, in my book. I can excuse the big miss on snow totals in yesterday morning's forecast to an extent (my own predictions stunk nearly as badly). To not adjust the totals sharply downward for last night's 11PM newscast reeks of laziness, cluelessness, or a desire to freak out viewers to drive up ratings.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 am

I must have been the only person on earth predicting that we'd start out as rain here for a few hours. The GFS model consistently showed a vertical rain/snow line right along the Lake Huron shoreline in northern MI, but nobody was even using the word "rain" in the forecast. And that happens every time. I can't count how many times we get rain along the entire shoreline (when inland gets snow) and it is never, ever forecasted.

btw - even the GFS model totals were too high, but it sounds like they were closer than most of the TV "experts." :lol

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:41 am

Major kudos to you. 😎

Indeed, you called for several hours of rain and lower snow totals when most folks (myself included) thought the warm air wrap-around would be less significant.

It appears ABC 12's forecast may have been every bit as off base, or worse, than WDIV's!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:05 am

I'm glad bmw was right. I woke up around 11:30 last night (couldn't sleep, over tired) and it was still wetter than a Kardashian at an NBA game. Then when I woke up for the day around 5, we had an inch, MAYBE an inch and a half. It didn't even start raining heavily until 8 or so, so that put the doubt in my mind that it was gonna be Snowmageddon '22.

I know the "media" is an easy boogeyman to point at, but I would rather be told we're getting 10" but only get 2" instead of the other way around. I'm more pissed that I now have an unpaid day from work when I could have easily traveled down Grand River to get to the house in South Lyon. All in all, this isn't bad.
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:47 am

In fairness to the so-called experts, forecasting a storm like this, particularly in the state of Michigan which has more variables than anywhere else in the country, is not an exact science.

That said, here's my problem. Most model runs from any weather forecasting computer are updated every 6 hours. And if you take the past 5 or 6 runs from any model, you can find one run from one model that shows a super high snow total in a specific location. What the forecasters seem to do is take the highest totals they can find for any particular region from any particular model run and combine them all into one single forecast map. And they're very slow to react to consistent shifts in storm tracks that come with each subsequent model run. And as I noted earlier, they all seem to underestimate the effect the lakes have on temperatures and the effect that has on precipitation type, at least close to the lakes.

And what is undoubtedly upsetting to some people is that they ended up unnecessarily canceling holiday travel plans.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic