Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Biden to codify abortion

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Circle Seven

Biden to codify abortion

Post by Circle Seven » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 pm

I'm sure most have seen the discussions about Prop 3 in the Michigan Politics thread. I'm leaning towards agreeing with those who say the bloated language in that proposal (or is it called a proposition?) opens the door to court judgements that neither side anticipated.

My question is this:
If Biden was successful to codify abortion, would the federal legislation supersede/override/overrule the language and interpretations of Michigan's Prop 3?

TC Talks

Re: Biden to codify abortion

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:48 pm

It depends on how you would define codify. Are you talking about an executive order?

I see, this was a way to motivate women who have self-respect to get out to vote for Democrats so that they don't lose the house. In my opinion he should be doing this regardless of the political pressure.

As for prop 3 it would be a state law, and federal law wouldn't hurt or benefit the rights prop 3 will create.
President Joe Biden, under renewed pressure over high inflation with mid-term elections approaching, said on Tuesday he will sign a law to codify abortion rights in January if Democrats control the legislature next year.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 pm
I'm sure most have seen the discussions about Prop 3 in the Michigan Politics thread. I'm leaning towards agreeing with those who say the bloated language in that proposal (or is it called a proposition?) opens the door to court judgements that neither side anticipated.

My question is this:
If Biden was successful to codify abortion, would the federal legislation supersede/override/overrule the language and interpretations of Michigan's Prop 3?
I don’t know… does federal law override a state constitution?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Just spitballin' here but from what I gather from the Dobbs decision is up to and until Congress and the President sign legislation allowing little or no impingement of woman's reproductive rights (if you want to call this "codification" I won't send you to grammar jail) then it's a matter for individual states to develop their own course of action.

That's not to say if federal legislation were to pass there wouldn't be a line on First St. NE in DC petitioning the SC to make a definitive ruling as to state's rights in this matter.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:21 pm

While not the biggest fan of Proposal 3 due to the open ended nature of it, the alternative is far too costly. The 1931 law needs to be struck down once and for all. We don’t need pro choice women prosecuted.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic