Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump suggests death for McConnell

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Trump suggests death for McConnell

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:29 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 am
audiophile wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 am
True BMW.

I don't think describing legislation as death wish is a personal threat. Duh!

Let's go to the definitions to help TCT from his morning word hangover:
Death Wish

2. A tendency or inclination to act in a reckless or foolish manner that could bring about one's ruin or failure.
The politician must have a death wish if she intends to uphold such a controversial stance.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+death+wish
C'mon TCT, this is whole thread is mularkey.
I was aware of this, but wasn't going to bother pointing it out to our resident aggravated-assault-promoter. As noted also in your link, this particular phrase is usually figurative and not literal in nature - specifically, as a warning to someone making stupid business or political decisions that may ultimately lead to their ruin.
The user of said phrase has a cadre of well armed followers who hang on his every literal word. Not defending the fool either.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 am

Well, when Democrats start being held to account for their violent rhetoric, then I might start caring. You know, kinda like all the calls for violence against conservative SCOTUS justices and then the man being arrested for attempted murder of Justice Kavanaugh - a story that literally didn't even get so much as a mention in some major news publications like USA Today.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:55 am

Taco wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 am
This was a hot topic on "Way Too Early" and "Morning Joe" on MSNBC this am.
Morning Schmoe is still around? Wow, who knew? :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 am
Well, when Democrats start being held to account for their violent rhetoric, then I might start caring. You know, kinda like all the calls for violence against conservative SCOTUS justices and then the man being arrested for attempted murder of Justice Kavanaugh - a story that literally didn't even get so much as a mention in some major news publications like USA Today.
Those other people calling for things lack a well armed cult at their disposal. If he went out and gave a “MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT” and told people to mow down the first ten people driving Prius’s they saw or something… there would be a bunch of people doing much more than rolling coal at the local green going guy…

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:02 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am
Those other people calling for things lack a well armed cult at their disposal.
I'm sure the victims of the summer 2020 riots would disagree.

If you want my honest opinion on Trump's choice of words, it wasn't the best choice in today's politically charged environment. That said, it is a common expression, especially in older times, and I will give Trump the benefit of the doubt that Trump meant it in the same way someone would use a phrase like "political suicide" - if you say someone is committing political suicide by doing something, you're not literally calling on them to commit suicide.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:08 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:02 pm
Rate This wrote:

If you want my honest opinion on Trump's choice of words, it wasn't the best choice in today's politically charged environment. That said, it is a common expression, especially in older times, and I will give Trump the benefit of the doubt that Trump meant it in the same way someone would use a phrase like "political suicide" - if you say someone is committing political suicide by doing something, you're not literally calling on them to commit suicide.
Nobody went out there and told people to riot in 2020. Don’t bother finding somebody who has 5 followers or something… it’s gotta be Trump level control of half the country… an equivalent on the left doesn’t exist. There is no central figure spouting “orders”.

Death wish and political suicide aren’t equivalent. Political suicide is self descriptive… your political career will die at your own hand. Death wish is “is that guy crazy? Doing that will get him killed! He must be wishing for that!” It’s an older expression but it’s used when someone is doing something dangerous enough to cause death, the assumption being that if you’re dumb enough to do it you must want what’s coming to you as a result.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:46 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:02 pm
Rate This wrote:

Summer of 2020? Don't you mean January 6th of 2021? Because in that situation Trump clearly promoted the idea of storming the capital to his little deplorables who continue to be convicted on a daily basis.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:25 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:46 pm
...January 6th of 2021? Because in that situation Trump clearly promoted the idea of storming the capital...
Just because your side spews that lie on a daily basis doesn't mean that it will eventually become true.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:25 pm
TC Talks wrote:
...January 6th of 2021? Because in that situation Trump clearly promoted the idea of storming the capital...
Just because your side spews that lie on a daily basis doesn't mean that it will eventually become true.
He pretty clearly urged his supporters to go down there… he even wanted to lead them there. They weren’t looking to stand there in front of the Capitol to sing kumbaya and the folks who participated and testified backed up that they took his words as permission to storm the place. So nobody needs to spew anything. The participants have admitted it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:13 am

Here is a sampling of the kooks who worship Trump:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pol ... -2024-bid/

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 am
bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:25 pm
TC Talks wrote:
He pretty clearly urged his supporters to go down there… he even wanted to lead them there. They weren’t looking to stand there in front of the Capitol to sing kumbaya and the folks who participated and testified backed up that they took his words as permission to storm the place. So nobody needs to spew anything. The participants have admitted it.
This is the crazy thing about bmw. He endorses organizations that turn to violence to solve their problems. He's part of the anti-abortion movement and part of this insurrection group. Nothing anybody can say to this guy will get him to admit that people he supports are prone to violence when they don't get their way.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am

Rate This wrote:
So you want it both ways - you want to take him literally when it suits your needs (death wish) and not literally when it doesn't (march and peacefully protest). Got it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am
This is the crazy thing about bmw. He endorses organizations that turn to violence to solve their problems. He's part of the anti-abortion movement and part of this insurrection group. Nothing anybody can say to this guy will get him to admit that people he supports are prone to violence when they don't get their way.
I'm quickly tiring of your libel. I've never once "endorsed" ANY organization in here. I'm not part of any anti-abortion "movement." And I wasn't on the Capitol grounds when this so-called "insurrection" took place. So knock it off with the outright lies.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am
Rate This wrote:
So you want it both ways - you want to take him literally when it suits your needs (death wish) and not literally when it doesn't (march and peacefully protest). Got it.
Except he didn’t say “March and peacefully protest”…

I’m going by what he said after doing nothing for an hour but tell them they were about to lose their country and were being cheated which whipped them into a frenzy:
So we are going to--we are going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we are going to the Capitol, and we are going to try and give--the Democrats are hopeless, they are never voting for anything, not even one vote but we are going to try--give our Republicans, the weak ones because the strong ones don't need any of our help, we're try--going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country. So let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue.
It’s quite apparent from what happened that a bunch of these well armed “patriots” took giving the “weak ones” pride and boldness to mean force them to certify him the winner no matter what it took. IT WAS THAT IMPORTANT FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY!!! How do I know? Trump said it was… dozens of times in his speech. Each time affirming for the crowd that this was an EMERGENCY that required bold action. Standing around outside was not gonna cut it. Some of the people who went into the Capitol when they got down there have TESTIFIED that the speech incited them. This isn’t a double standard. I’m quoting Trump and the fucking people who got lathered up by him.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:55 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 am
I'm quickly tiring of your libel. I've never once "endorsed" ANY organization in here. I'm not part of any anti-abortion "movement." And I wasn't on the Capitol grounds when this so-called "insurrection" took place. So knock it off with the outright lies.
Defending them and not condemning acts of violence is a pretty clear path to endorsement. I wouldn't call that lying, apparently being such a fan of Trump you get confused about the concept.

I have never once read anywhere where you condemned Trump's actions or the actions of the insurrectionists on January 6th, scroll up a few posts and you are defending them.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic