Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ian coverage on SWFL locals

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
syntheticexctasy

Ian coverage on SWFL locals

Post by syntheticexctasy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 pm

I've had WFTX Fox4 Ft Myers on in the background most of the day. Been kind of interesting. Seems like they had their first crew on for about 12hrs straight. Do they take their bathroom breaks during press conferences? LOL

For having what seems like pretty limited resources (unreliable power, communications, personnel, etc) they seem to have done a decent job.

I started watching WBBH a bit ago - an anchor notably bragged about being the only station on the air in the area right now (about 6:05P) when in fact, their online stream at least was offline from about 2:30P-? I had checked in a few times and their stream was down. Now they're on to bragging about their "superior in-house weather modeling".

I realize OTA and OTP/Streams aren't necessarily related, just though it was a funny little quip.

Also makes me wonder what kind of communications and power redundancy is built into a news studio as standard practice. It seemed like they were losing power quite frequently, and when they did they would lose just about everything but the online stream and the radar graphic.

ChrisWL1980

Re: Ian coverage on SWFL locals

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 pm

Streaming ABC 7/NBC 2's coverage at the moment. They're doing a very good job IMO.
My mom has a distant cousin who lives in Lee County, and the word a county official used to describe the likely state in that area is "decimated." Hoping he made it through safely and still has a home, as it's obvious many, many do not.
Saw a Twitter video of a shark swimming in the streets of Fort Myers. Crazy stuff.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:30 pm
Streaming ABC 7/NBC 2's coverage at the moment. They're doing a very good job IMO.
My mom has a distant cousin who lives in Lee County, and the word a county official used to describe the likely state in that area is "decimated." Hoping he made it through safely and still has a home, as it's obvious many, many do not.
Saw a Twitter video of a shark swimming in the streets of Fort Myers. Crazy stuff.
Looking like Naples took a nasty hit too. I have a server online down there at the Mercato shopping development - it went offline last night at about 6:30P

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:27 pm

6 to 7 foot storm surge affected Naples; much of the city received flooding.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:27 pm
6 to 7 foot storm surge affected Naples; much of the city received flooding.
Unfortunately my bitchy, bossy, narcissistic monster in laws’ place in North Naples was unscathed supposedly. My parents place north of there just had a tree come down that destroyed their little used deck. Power is out though

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:03 am

The studios of CBS affiliate WINK-TV were destroyed by the storm surge as Ian went ashore; they would not sign back on until 9/30, when they set up temporary studios at its transmitter.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:09 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
We did hear from my mom's cousin; he was one of the lucky ones whose home made it through with only minor damage. Meanwhile, as the death toll tops 100, it's becoming more clear this is going to be one of the worst, if not the worst, to ever hit Florida. Not a pretty picture in the Canadian Maritimes either, where thousands are still in the dark more than a week after Fiona.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:09 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
We did hear from my mom's cousin; he was one of the lucky ones whose home made it through with only minor damage. Meanwhile, as the death toll tops 100, it's becoming more clear this is going to be one of the worst, if not the worst, to ever hit Florida. Not a pretty picture in the Canadian Maritimes either, where thousands are still in the dark more than a week after Fiona.
Is his house inland and/or at a slightly higher elevation than most of Lee County?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:52 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:43 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:09 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Is his house inland and/or at a slightly higher elevation than most of Lee County?
Perhaps. I'm not sure. I'm just glad he made it through okay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic