Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Amazon Fresh is coming to SE MIchigan (bricks & mortar grocery stores)

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Amazon Fresh is coming to SE MIchigan (bricks & mortar grocery stores)

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:36 pm

I learned about Amazon Fresh's ambitious entry into the Metro Detroit market from an article that appeared early this morning at detnews.com:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 639840001/

However, the Detroit News definitely was not the first outlet to report about Amazon's grocery store plans locally. That distinction goes to Crain's Detroit Business, who reported about Amazon's plans way back in JUNE 2021!

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-esta ... oming-troy

Known locations so far:
- East Big Beaver Rd near Rochester Rd. in Troy
- Former Best Buy in Rochester Hills (on Rochester Rd.)
- Former Gander Outdoors in Shelby Township (Hall Rd at Schoenherr)
- Former Toys 'R Us in Roseville (Gratiot and Masonic, across from Macomb Mall)
- Former Kroger in St. Clair Shores at Nine Mile Rd. and Harper
- Unspecified location in Livonia
- Former Kmart in Grand Blanc

The fact a chain with only three dozen currently operating stores NATIONWIDE is building seven stores in SE Michigan, most of which appear to be on track to open later this year, is quite remarkable.

I'm a little surprised WJBK, WXYZ and WDIV have devoted little to no attention to this story.

I look forward to the new entry. Based on YouTube videos I've watched online, these stores combine some innovative technology with a traditional grocery store shopping experience. The store by no means will be minimalist in terms of employees. There will be full service meat, seafood, deli and hot food counters. There will also be full service checkout lanes in addition to fast-pass type lanes.

Prices should be competitive with Kroger and Meijer on most items. This is not a high-end store in terms of price point, and this also will not be a "specialty store."

The somewhat lame "365" product line carried by Whole Foods is carried at Amazon Fresh, as are highly recognizable national brands found at other stores.

I am surprised that no locations have been announced yet (to the best of my knowledge) for Ann Arbor, Novi, Canton or Dearborn.

Remember when Wall Street was having multiple orgasms when Amazon acquired Whole Foods? That marriage definitely has not lived up to the hype. The somewhat popular Wall Street view that ultra pricy, small footprinted Whole Foods was somehow going to pose a major threat to the Krogers and Safeways of the world simply because Amazon now owned it was absurd.

The rollout of Amazon Fresh has also proceeded at a much, much slower pace than initially projected, but unlike Whole Paycheck, this store looks to be far more accessible to the average household living on an average income.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Amazon Fresh is coming to SE MIchigan (bricks & mortar grocery stores)

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:50 pm

I thought Amazon married Whole Foods?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:59 am

They did, as noted in my post.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:55 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:50 pm
I thought Amazon married Whole Foods?
Amazon Fresh is in the same market as Meijer or Kroger, whereas, Whole Foods is more of a Plum Market competitor. Having said that, it wouldn't be terribly surprising if Amazon eventually either offloads Whole Foods or converts existing locations to Amazon Fresh.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:48 am

It's nice to see these seemingly are going in to existing empty buildings.

Out of habit I have been a Kroger guy for several years even with an Aldi across the street, a Meijer and a Target another couple blocks down and a Trader Joe a few blocks the opposite way. My go to Kroger is not looks good these days but we did get 70¢ off our gas the other day.

I have a Whole Foods up the street too but that ain't my thing.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 pm

My point is that I find it odd that Amazon would open all these stores while allowing a competitor to get sales through its home delivery service. Unless they plan to buy Whole Foods….

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:09 pm

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 pm
My point is that I find it odd that Amazon would open all these stores while allowing a competitor to get sales through its home delivery service. Unless they plan to buy Whole Foods….
Amazon owns Whole Foods...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:26 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:09 pm
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:51 pm
Amazon owns Whole Foods...
I didn’t realize that. Okay. Makes sense now.

Audacity sucks.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 am

A few years ago, before she became a cop my oldest daughter worked at an Ann Arbor Whole Foods. She was the manager of the prepared foods department. I remember her complaining one day because sales didn't meet goals and she was held responsible.
I asked her who set the goals. "Not me" was the response.
I asked her what power/ authority or budget she had to stimulate sales. "None".
I found that odd.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:21 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 am
A few years ago, before she became a cop my oldest daughter worked at an Ann Arbor Whole Foods. She was the manager of the prepared foods department. I remember her complaining one day because sales didn't meet goals and she was held responsible.
I asked her who set the goals. "Not me" was the response.
I asked her what power/ authority or budget she had to stimulate sales. "None".
I found that odd.
Management always needs a fall guy/gal.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic