Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.5 Jack FM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

106.5 Jack FM

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:04 am

Is it just me, or does this station's audio processing continue to sound like trash?

As an AC, I thought 106.5's processing generally sounded good, for the most part. Not sure about the final six or twelve months as an AC, though, since I don't know if I ever tuned in for more than five minutes at a time.

Whatever compression schema they are using is overemphasizing mid-range at the expense of bass response and treble response. There is almost no "sound stage" effect, either. Reminds me of how badly music often sounds on AM radio.

Who is responsible for their audio settings? Is that person clueless, or is the station using equipment that is being held together by chewing gum and duct tape?

Also, is this station operating at somewhat reduced power? The signal in the Portland and Grand Ledge areas seems somewhat weaker than I remember.

thatonedude

106.5 Jack FM

Post by thatonedude » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Bumping this, because I had the opportunity to listen to Jack OTA as opposed to streaming a while back.

Processing sounded “meh” at best. Then again, my EQ settings on my car radio might’ve made it sound a lot more tolerable than if I had them flat. Audio still sounded a bit muffled, especially on Howard Cogan’s liners, as if they took the files and recorded them onto a dirty cassette.

It is truly baffling to me, especially when the stream sounds crystal clear with a good amount of punch. Whatever processing settings they have for the stream should be used OTA. Usually the stream is an afterthought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Colonel Flagg

Re: 106.5 Jack FM

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:53 pm

I listened on my way to Chicagoland on Saturday, and this is, hands down, the most poorly executed Jack-FM I've ever heard. The station liners give the impression that "Jack" was having an off day...audio is poor. Music uninteresting. We won't even get into commercial production quality 💩💩💩

Jack-FM in Dayton, which is usually at the bottom of the ratings, is far better than this.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

thatonedude

106.5 Jack FM

Post by thatonedude » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:05 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:I listened on my way to Chicagoland on Saturday, and this is, hands down, the most poorly executed Jack-FM I've ever heard. The station liners give the impression that "Jack" was having an off day...audio is poor. Music uninteresting. We won't even get into commercial production quality ImageImageImage

Jack-FM in Dayton, which is usually at the bottom of the ratings, is far better than this.
Midwest usually has a good handle on the JACK format. Their JACK in Nashville has always been a H*** moneymaker and has been at the top of the ratings for a long time.

Agreed on the OTA audio; that sounds like absolute dog shit. If that’s how the PD wants it to sound, then he/she must be deaf. The stream’s processing, OTOH, is excellent.

Liners are “meh”. Don’t think they’re written by the folks in LA, so of course they’re going to be lacking, but for what they are, they work.

The playlist, however, I think is pretty damn good, but it’s got some duds. Hearing some adult alternative-style cuts in the mix now, which pleasantly surprises me. However, they played Achy Breaky Heart last night... makes me wonder if at some point they did an auditorium test with a bunch of drunk rednecks and hipsters…

Still, I’ll take this over what we had with the Cumulus era of Doug-FM in Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 pm

I am glad I'm not alone in recognizing the fact the OTA audio processing sounds so piss poor.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:50 pm

Before I could safely get this station to Cedar st in Lansing, now it fades around Exit 73

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm

Holy shit. They played Yes’ “It Can Happen” yesterday. Don’t think I’ve heard that in ages.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:07 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:00 pm
Holy shit. They played Yes’ “It Can Happen” yesterday. Don’t think I’ve heard that in ages.

And the world didn't end? Wow. I'm shocked. I was told there are 150 songs allowed on the radio ever. EVER.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
thatonedude wrote:

And the world didn't end? Wow. I'm shocked. I was told there are 150 songs allowed on the radio ever. EVER.
When a variety hits station throws in more deep cuts than a goddamn classic rock station… that says a lot.

Also, heard “Hello Again” from the Cars earlier this evening. Another great song radio gives the finger to.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:37 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
thatonedude wrote:

When a variety hits station throws in more deep cuts than a goddamn classic rock station… that says a lot.

Also, heard “Hello Again” from the Cars earlier this evening. Another great song radio gives the finger to.

Okay, okay I'll give it another listen. I was passing through at 80mph for cryin outloud :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

format this

Post by format this » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:16 pm

Let’s add the live version of “Gimme Three Steps,” heard earlier today.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Hopefully the station has fixed its processing schema so that rock music no longer sounds squashed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic