Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Olympics (I Like The Weird Stuff)

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
sfpcc1

Olympics (I Like The Weird Stuff)

Post by sfpcc1 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Is anyone out there watching The Olympics? Personally I like to watch the obscure sports you only seem to see every four, (five in this case) years. I guess some examples could be Team Handball, (you kind of have to search for that) Water Polo, (I wonder how they keep the horses from drowning) Modern Pentathlon, Fencing, you get the picture.

I actually have an idea for a new track event. It would be called The Other Decathlon. It would consist of events left out of the regular decathlon like The Triple Jump , Hammer Throw, Steeplechase, Race Walking and the 400 hundred meter hurdles. Maybe it's a terrible idea. I've just had it on my mind for awhile and wanted to
get it out there.

moldyoldie

Re: Olympics (I Like The Weird Stuff)

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

I like the wrestling, basketball, table tennis, archery, shooting, volleyball, cycling, mountain biking, gymnastics, track & field, diving & swimming, canoeing & kayaking, weightlifting, soccer, softball, etc., etc., etc.

I hate the hotdog sports such as skateboarding! And the beach volleyball? :barf Good for a little peek-a-cheek, but that's it!

I was watching the skeet shooting and couldn't make out the skeets if my life depended on it! That's until the poofs of colored smoke.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:55 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

I hate the hotdog sports such as skateboarding! And the beach volleyball? :barf Good for a little peek-a-cheek, but that's it!

Actually favorite Olympic sport might Ski Jumping. I don't think that's a hotdog sport. To me a man flying off a mountain the the definition of badass.

Last night I watched women's Rugby, (men's Rugby is over.) I'd rather watch that than soccer. Have you ever wondered what a pretty good NFL running back would do in that sport? (I'm about to do some Googling.)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 am

sfpcc1 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:55 am
moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am
Actually favorite Olympic sport might Ski Jumping. I don't think that's a hotdog sport. To me a man flying off a mountain the the definition of badass.
Ski-jumping is a long-time favorite of mine, but let's stick to summer for now. Anything more confuses this non-Olympic mind. :razz

For what it's worth, in my book a hotdog sport can't be scored quantitatively, it can only be effectively scored by judges. Another example of a hotdog sport is the BMX freestyle event. And no, sports like gymnastics and figure-skating aren't hotdog sports as they convey the beauty of athleticism and not merely one's competency with a street apparatus.
:hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

kager

Post by kager » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am

sfpcc1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:38 pm
Is anyone out there watching The Olympics?
1 of 2 in this casa have watched at least some of it.

As the closest thing we've had in the US to a 'wide-open summer' since the panda-emic surfaced, I'd guess traditional 'broadcast' viewership of the 2020 Olympics is way down (on-demand mobile device viewing may make up for it, but I'd be surprised if that were the case; can't find it within myself to care enough to seek out and share numbers).

I'm glad to see Gold for other gymnastics team members. Those who don't have 'the twisties' (not to be confused with Twistys), or a $6m+ net worth, get some time in the spotlight for a change! Guessing if one 'withdraws' from competition due to this 'condition' vs. a potential poor performance if they had forged ahead, it doesn't negatively impact their Olympic record. Perhaps personal sponsors will see it otherwise, but maybe she can make up the difference in talk show speaking fees...

The games lost their luster with me when Pros took over. Perhaps the illusion of the Olympics being a competition amoungst amateurs was just that - an illusion - but the move to having Pro's compete was alot of greed.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 am

kager wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am
The games lost their luster with me when Pros took over. Perhaps the illusion of the Olympics being a competition amoungst amateurs was just that - an illusion - but the move to having Pro's compete was alot of greed.
Bingo! (sigh) Especially the NBAers, whose earlier loss to France left no unease in this fan of the game.

- Sydney J. Harris

Jacques Strap

Post by Jacques Strap » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:49 pm

Good thing we have women in Canada. It's only the women who have been winning medals. Nothing for the men,yet.

My favourite summer Olympic sport is the bicycle racing.

Indoor sports like boxing, wrestling, weight lifting gymnastics etc, could just as well be part of the winter Olympics.

You don't have to be a good sport, to be a mad one.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:27 am

No wonder why CBC is way better than NBC coverage!!!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 pm

For the life of me, I had no idea rock climbing was an Olympic event! I kinda liked it.

I think it was NBCSN that had all the canoeing and kayaking sprints today...loved 'em!

- Sydney J. Harris

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:13 am

Right now I am watching Artistic Swimming formerly known as synchronized swimming. Actually it's a little trippy. USA didn't qualify but Canada did.

Sport Climbing is going to be on USA at ten this morning. The times seem to run later than their announced
times.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:36 pm

sfpcc1 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:13 am
Sport Climbing is going to be on USA at ten this morning. The times seem to run later than their announced
times.
Ah, sport climbing, I said rock climbing, sorry. Rock climbing would be difficult without a rock face. :razz Yes, I watched it today and still enjoyed it. Incredible dexterity!

The team pursuit cycling is also on today and remains a favorite. Kayak racing, as well. More track & field is always welcome.

I'm watching more and more CBC, the NBCUniversal networks are rife with commercials!

- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Do the US cable companies carry CBC, or do you just get it with an antenna?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm
Do the US cable companies carry CBC, or do you just get it with an antenna?
Some, particularly ones located near the border. Buckeye Broadband in Toledo does have it, however.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Jacques Strap wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:49 pm
Good thing we have women in Canada. It's only the women who have been winning medals. Nothing for the men,yet.

Canadian Andre Degrasse has just won a gold in the 200 Meter track and field sprint.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 am

Got CBC in Midland County (actually in Sanford or in Midland)!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic