Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Facebook now fact-checking satire/jokes

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Facebook now fact-checking satire/jokes

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 am

You can't make this stuff up. One of my facebook friends had shared this, and automatically attached to it were a fact-check and a fact-check link. Setting aside whether the joke here is funny or not, facebook has gotten into the business of fact-checking something that is clearly satire? Some people seriously need something better to do with their time than sit behind a computer screen and fact-check things like this.

Rate This

Re: Facebook now fact-checking satire/jokes

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 am
You can't make this stuff up. One of my facebook friends had shared this, and automatically attached to it were a fact-check and a fact-check link. Setting aside whether the joke here is funny or not, facebook has gotten into the business of fact-checking something that is clearly satire? Some people seriously need something better to do with their time than sit behind a computer screen and fact-check things like this.

It’s clearly the last line that get the fact check and with good reason. It’s a bullshit right wing talking point that isn’t true and we are now on day 3 of hysterics about Dr. Fucking Seuss. Fact checking it is a noble thing because there are folks who are going to believe it and the person who wrote it said it seriously even if it appears to be satire.

The Republican Party has jumped the shark and is no longer a serious political party. Serious political parties don’t throw a prolonged fit about Dr. Seuss while having no policy positions on LITERALLY ANYTHING.
Last edited by Rate This on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am

Facebook sucks. Who cares?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am
Facebook sucks. Who cares?
bmw does.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 am

2.8 billion people use facebook, so I do find it relevant to talk about.

And RT - your party was stuck focused on a BS "Russia collusion" narrative for YEARS, and you're bent out of shape about Dr. Seuss being a story for barely a week?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:29 am

And btw - could you imagine MW creating a team of people to fact-check every single post in every single forum on this site? Many of us would probably leave if that happened. My problem with fact-checking in general on a platform like facebook is the creation of fact-checkers presumes that people are too stupid to sort fact from fiction themselves. Online communities are perfectly capable of policing their own.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:29 am
And btw - could you imagine MW creating a team of people to fact-check every single post in every single forum on this site? Many of us would probably leave if that happened. My problem with fact-checking in general on a platform like facebook is the creation of fact-checkers presumes that people are too stupid to sort fact from fiction themselves. Online communities are perfectly capable of policing their own.
Clearly you’re right as Q-Anon shows us daily... it’s precisely because it’s the Wild West out here that things are so out of control online. Moderated forums where insane behavior isn’t tolerated tend to be more stable. That’s a simple fact.

The Russian COLLUSION ended up not being there but the investigation was worth it. We also don’t know what exactly was in the unredacted report. The Trump administration went to great lengths to suppress the full story likely because there is SOMETHING incriminating in there. We know there are 10 examples of obstruction of justice in it by Trump. In the end he was a useful idiot. We also know that there was a massive Russian disinformation campaign on an unprecedented scale using outlets like Facebook. In order to not have the regulatory hammer brought down on them they are fact checking everything in sight.

My point is that people on the right that ostensibly support the free market are getting bent out of shape by a business decision they don’t like. This idea that Seuss is being cancelled is being pushed extremely hard in the right wing media. They aren’t talking the hearings about the 6th or the COVID relief that a large majority of the country supports or the two new bills the house just passed. They don’t even have a single idea on anything. They have no platform.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 am

Wonder if NBC is going to run a tag at the end of each SNL episode with similar "fact checks"??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 am
Wonder if NBC is going to run a tag at the end of each SNL episode with similar "fact checks"??
I doubt it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:29 am
It would be a good way to get rid of SG.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am
’.... it's clearly the last line that get the fact check and with good reason. It’s a bullshit right wing talking point that isn’t true ....
[/quote]

It's a joke. Good grief. Going by your thinking, most of the cartoons in the Junk The Ice Cream Truck thread here should be took down. Late Night monologues would last two minutes if they followed your logic.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am
’.... it's clearly the last line that get the fact check and with good reason. It’s a bullshit right wing talking point that isn’t true ....
It's a joke. Good grief. Going by your thinking, most of the cartoons in the Junk The Ice Cream Truck thread here should be took down. Late Night monologues would last two minutes if they followed your logic.
[/quote]
FOX is on its third day of running that same talking point AS NEWS.

Those memes have the same effect as chain emails... a lot of people don’t think they are jokes. They believe they are bitingly true.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:57 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am
Fox News is explicitly saying that Joe Biden killed Dr. Seuss?

I think your claim is worthy of a fact-check because I suspect they have made no such claim, let alone ran it as "news."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:57 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am
Fox News is explicitly saying that Joe Biden killed Dr. Seuss?

I think your claim is worthy of a fact-check because I suspect they have made no such claim, let alone ran it as "news."
I think we can easily understand kill Dr. Seuss (the man died 30 years ago) means cancel him. Except he isn’t cancelled. Neither is Mr. Potato Head. It’s all a distraction.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Ok, so Fox News is explicitly reporting, as news, that Joe Biden is the person responsible for Dr Seuss' publisher to stop publishing the 6 books in question?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic