Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Toledo airchecks from 1998.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

Toledo airchecks from 1998.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8-qyUb1Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUlkx-TnSKY

One is 92.5 Kiss FM with Russ Ryder and the other is 101.5 the River with Kim Carson's Quiet Storm. This user also had a Tower 98.3 aircheck that hasn't been uploaded yet.

I've always wanted to find more airchecks from the '90s and 2000s.

80sTalkRadioFan

Re: Toledo airchecks from 1998.

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 pm

Wow! Those are some good memories, especially that Kim Carson aircheck. Hard to believe there were two stations playing "Quiet Storm" type music in Toledo in the 90s. The other was 105.5 I think that show was called "Love Notes" with Scott Gregory. Then after he left, it was hosted by a woman, but I unfortunately don't remember her name. I remember Kim Carson read romantic poetry on her show, every night around 10:00. There was no poetry being read on 105.5's show. Thanks for posting those airchecks.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:43 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Wow! Those are some good memories, especially that Kim Carson aircheck. Hard to believe there were two stations playing "Quiet Storm" type music in Toledo in the 90s. The other was 105.5 I think that show was called "Love Notes" with Scott Gregory. Then after he left, it was hosted by a woman, but I unfortunately don't remember her name. I remember Kim Carson read romantic poetry on her show, every night around 10:00. There was no poetry being read on 105.5's show. Thanks for posting those airchecks.
Star 105 carried the syndicated Delilah at one time. Is that who you're thinking of?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 pm

I moved to Saline that summer and was excited to have the opportunity to hear Toledo radio stations clearly around the clock, as I had already been DXing Kiss, River and Tower from Macomb County. To me they had better music variety than their Detroit counterparts. I loved The River back then, before they were the cookie-cutter "'80s to now" station they eventually became and are now. They played many unique songs that couldn't be heard elsewhere. Some may remember Swedish singer Ebba Forsberg, who had a song called "Lost Count" that got some airtime on Planet 96.3 and 93.9 The River back then. 101.5 played another song of hers called "Hold Me," which I can't remember hearing on any other radio station anywhere. Then there was the non-crossover R&B and non-single LP cuts played on Quiet Storm, the Sunday-morning jazz show, and Nick Francis' syndicated "QuietMusic" (a mix of piano pop, soft jazz and some new age artists like Enya) on Sunday nights. And Kiss FM was LIVE, LOCAL and RELEVANT to Toledo, something you can't say for the station these days. Tower 98 lacked the flash of Detroit or even Toledo, sounding very much like the small-town station they were then, but they played new music before you'd hear it on 93.1 or 95.5. Ah, the memories.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 am

No, this was just before they added Delilah, when their evening show was still known as "Love Notes" and still had a local host. I don't remember exactly when they picked up Delilah, but it was probably 1998-99. Toledo stations did have a nice playlist back in the 90s. I remember Star 105.5 used to play a few songs from "The Sundays," when that band was just starting to be known in the U.S.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:50 am

Late 80', very early 90's when 101.5 was still WLQR and music was programmed locally, it was unique, so you even heard soft AC Moody Blue's LP cuts and esoteric music not heard anywhere else, and Lee Conklin with LOCAL news on air, then once WRVF rolled along, the individualism of WLQR left and slowly went away. Too bad, used to have a preset for 15 years when they were not part of Clear Channel. Forgot about Kim Carson and Beth (Plumber) Michaels, who was a talented programmer.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 am
No, this was just before they added Delilah, when their evening show was still known as "Love Notes" and still had a local host. I don't remember exactly when they picked up Delilah, but it was probably 1998-99. Toledo stations did have a nice playlist back in the 90s. I remember Star 105.5 used to play a few songs from "The Sundays," when that band was just starting to be known in the U.S.
The Sundays' "Summertime" was a fairly big Hot AC hit nationally. Q95-5 for whatever reason didn't play it (except during Casey's Hot/American Top 20), though I heard it plenty on 96.3 and 93.9.
WOHO wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:50 am
Late 80', very early 90's when 101.5 was still WLQR and music was programmed locally, it was unique, so you even heard soft AC Moody Blue's LP cuts and esoteric music not heard anywhere else, and Lee Conklin with LOCAL news on air, then once WRVF rolled along, the individualism of WLQR left and slowly went away. Too bad, used to have a preset for 15 years when they were not part of Clear Channel. Forgot about Kim Carson and Beth (Plumber) Michaels, who was a talented programmer.
WLQR was a Radio & Records reporter in the early '90s and looking through old R&R issues on the American Radio History website, their weekly playlist adds were listed in the AC section (as were then-3WM's). They had an impressive playlist indeed even going just by the current music they were playing/adding. Seems like just about anything that was current, they'd play, from Barbra Streisand LP cuts to soft urban pop by the likes of Tevin Campbell or Shanice. 3WM stayed pretty up to date with newer music too. I still enjoyed the early years of WRVF even if it was less eclectic than WLQR.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am

I'm not sure a recording even exists, but I'd love to hear 94-5 K-rock, 97.3 The Fox, and Classic rock 97.3 WJZE.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am
I'm not sure a recording even exists, but I'd love to hear 94-5 K-rock, 97.3 The Fox, and Classic rock 97.3 WJZE.
I remember 97.3 the Fox a little and also would like to hear it. I'd also like to hear the early days of XKR, as well as WRQN from the late 90's when they started playing more 70's.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 pm

I remember XKR in the early days very well, in fact I remember the first day. One of the liners went " Well XKR, this town ain't big enough for the both of us, " then get out!" oh ok then.... The new 94.5 XKR"

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:53 pm
I remember XKR in the early days very well, in fact I remember the first day. One of the liners went " Well XKR, this town ain't big enough for the both of us, " then get out!" oh ok then.... The new 94.5 XKR"
What was the music like and who were the early personalities?

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 pm

Music was mostly 70s, with some late 60s and early 80s. Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, The who, Van Halen etc...

Mornings-Mark Benson, Jeff lamb later came on
Mid days- Andi McCay
Afternoons- Mike "Mac" McIntyre
Nights- I dont recall

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:15 am

Then a few years later XKR had JR in the morning, he was a bit more of a shock jock trying to compete against Boob & Tom on IOT. Andi stayed in middays for a long time, she also did traffic on ch. 13 when TV stations here started having morning traffic reports before she moved down to Austin like 9 years ago. Mark and Jeff split up and Jeff wound up doing a lot of freelance gigs here and there while Mark was paired with Norm Wamer doing sports on the Ticket for awhile. Then JR left for Phoenix and Mark went back to XKR solo in the morning where he stayed for like 12 years till he retired, with the exception of Free Beer and Hot Wings being piped in for a disastrous run for like 6 months around 2012. Nights were usually either tracked or syndicated.

The music mostly stayed the same, older classic rock with about the hardest stuff being VH and AC/DC. Then when Andy Stuart took over Cumulus Toledo they started playing more 80's butt rock like IOT and brought in IOT alums Pyke and Grizzly.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:15 am
Then a few years later XKR had JR in the morning, he was a bit more of a shock jock trying to compete against Boob & Tom on IOT. Andi stayed in middays for a long time, she also did traffic on ch. 13 when TV stations here started having morning traffic reports before she moved down to Austin like 9 years ago. Mark and Jeff split up and Jeff wound up doing a lot of freelance gigs here and there while Mark was paired with Norm Wamer doing sports on the Ticket for awhile. Then JR left for Phoenix and Mark went back to XKR solo in the morning where he stayed for like 12 years till he retired, with the exception of Free Beer and Hot Wings being piped in for a disastrous run for like 6 months around 2012. Nights were usually either tracked or syndicated.

The music mostly stayed the same, older classic rock with about the hardest stuff being VH and AC/DC. Then when Andy Stuart took over Cumulus Toledo they started playing more 80's butt rock like IOT and brought in IOT alums Pyke and Grizzly.
I don't know too much about JR's show.

Jeff got fired due to low ratings in early 2002, and was replaced by Micki Morgret. Mark and Micki brought a ratings improvement at first, but eventually, the ratings never improved. They then moved Mike and Andi to mornings right at the start of 2004, but it didn't go well with listeners. Big Jim took over on an interim basis in 2004 before JR became morning host.

It seems like when McClintock took over was when the music became heavier, but only Andy/Bill Michaels increased heavyness. XKR pretty much sounds like IOT from the 2000's with almost no music past '95.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 am

Heathcliff wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 pm
Music was mostly 70s, with some late 60s and early 80s. Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, The who, Van Halen etc...

Mornings-Mark Benson, Jeff lamb later came on
Mid days- Andi McCay
Afternoons- Mike "Mac" McIntyre
Nights- I dont recall

Once Andi and Mac were away, it went into automation with Maestro. That's what I remember. Also, remember Andi was also on Kiss VT'ed during the middays.
Last edited by Deleted User 15062 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic