Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rest Stop / Gymnastics Coach

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
sfpcc

Rest Stop / Gymnastics Coach

Post by sfpcc » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Today after being charged with numerous crimes USA Gymnastics Coach John Geddert Committed suicide at a rest stop outside Lansing. My question is was that Rest Stop closed to traffic after the event? I tried looking it up on the MDOT website and a Google search but found nothing. I apololgize in advance if this query seems insensitive to the victims.

Rate This

Re: Rest Stop / Gymnastics Coach

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:26 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:17 pm
Today after being charged with numerous crimes USA Gymnastics Coach John Geddert Committed suicide at a rest stop outside Lansing. My question is was that Rest Stop closed to traffic after the event? I tried looking it up on the MDOT website and a Google search but found nothing. I apololgize in advance if this query seems insensitive to the victims.
Most likely (99% sure) they would have closed it just the same as a fatal accident on the freeway.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:30 pm

On NBC Nightly News' coverage, they showed MSP SUV cruisers blocking the ramp to the rest area. The video gave the impression that was as close as the media was allowed to the scene.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:38 am

Not to be morbid, but my first thought was that I hope he took the cowardly action in his own vehicle. I'm not saying all suicide is cowardly, but in this case, it surely was. I'm not upset by his choice, as it ultimately will save the state time and money. It was just a strange way to enter a guilty plea.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 am

Am I the only one wondering why charges weren't brought against this man sooner?

Otherwise, I concur with Matt.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:38 am
Not to be morbid, but my first thought was that I hope he took the cowardly action in his own vehicle. I'm not saying all suicide is cowardly, but in this case, it surely was. I'm not upset by his choice, as it ultimately will save the state time and money. It was just a strange way to enter a guilty plea.
If it was an expensive car I’d rather he lay on the hood. It’ll wash off.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 am
Am I the only one wondering why charges weren't brought against this man sooner?

It's just one more example where things like this were happening, and they are just ignored and covered up. Olympic training always seemed to me to be seemingly pointless, like the Penguins' lives in Antarctica. Yet, since Olympics is done "for the motherland", it is ignored. Things like this happen a lot in college and even high school sports. Every once and a while, they are prosecuted when there is no longer the ability to cover it up, like Jerry Sandusky and Larry Nassar and that way too "Friendly Bob" Anderson at U. of M. With many types of prominent people, the Genie is stuffed back in the bottle until they no longer can.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 am

Sadly, I think you are correct.

I think there is plenty of abuse of Olympic athletes in particular who are young.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:38 am

Do they overlook these things because those coaches are successful at developing talent? Those guys wouldn't be in the positions very long if they weren't exceeding the goals set forth, would they?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:35 pm

sfpcc wrote:

I must of read your query wrong? Seems you were wondering why that rest area was not on Google Maps. Nothing to do with anything happening there. Seems to me that Google and MDOT wouldn't be taking locations off the map for the few days an investigation is going on.

Is it actually a weigh station? Could it be a new rest area?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 pm

[quote="Mike Oxlong" post_id=660071 time=1614364512 user_id=14896]
[quote=sfpcc post_id=659978 time=1614298678 user_id=4168]
[/quote]

I must of read your query wrong? Seems you were wondering why that rest area was not on Google Maps. Nothing to do with anything happening there. Seems to me that Google and MDOT wouldn't be taking locations off the map for the few days an investigation is going on.

[/quote]
Actually I looked up "MI Rest Stop Suicide", (or some like that .) I also looked up the MDOT website thinking it would show a rest stop closure the same way I thought it would a Freeway Closure. In retrospect it was kind of a muddled search.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:47 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:35 pm
sfpcc wrote:

Actually I looked up "MI Rest Stop Suicide", (or some like that .) I also looked up the MDOT website thinking it would show a rest stop closure the same way I thought it would a Freeway Closure. In retrospect it was kind of a muddled search.
I-96 Eastbound, Rest Stop #825 Grand Ledge, between Exit 86 and where it turns into I-69. Near Mile Marker 88. MDOT information.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 pm

From the video I saw, it looked as he offed himself outside as I saw a shot where 4-6 Troopers were standing around outside and it appeared it was around the body

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

The parents of these girls should be ashamed of themselves, for not seeing what was really going on here, and the fact that in many cases, their own daughters were afraid to tell them. A generation or two ago, the girls fathers would have stepped in, and put a stop to this. But between the "worship" of the joke that is MSU, and the potential status gained by winning, these young ladies never had a chance. Far too many of today's mothers are "Karen's" and far too many of today's fathers are henpecked pussies.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:29 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:36 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

The parents of these girls should be ashamed of themselves, for not seeing what was really going on here, and the fact that in many cases, their own daughters were afraid to tell them. A generation or two ago, the girls fathers would have stepped in, and put a stop to this. But between the "worship" of the joke that is MSU, and the potential status gained by winning, these young ladies never had a chance. Far too many of today's mothers are "Karen's" and far too many of today's fathers are henpecked pussies.
Here's why that last part is true.

See, if one of my stepdaughters came home with an allegation like that, or it became something so strong it couldn't be ignored, yes, I would want to show up at the school or their office to have a little "talk". Unfortunately, people like their mother would want to do it the "right" way, with an investigation, calls to the police, and hoping everything up to the courts handle it right and justice is served. Problem is, though, by then the damage has been done. And continues to be done. I'd wind up being in more trouble by her than the piece of shit coach would be. Sometimes things need to be handled on a "street" level than a "let's wait and see what the facts are and let the law handle it" attitude.

It's the same attitude she has about her ex-husband stealing her ID, opening a charge card in her name and racking up a bill that damaged her credit. Thinks the law is gonna do it and do it right. Sure, because that ALWAYS works out so well...

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic