Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

All of SE Michigan except Midland & Bay

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

All of SE Michigan except Midland & Bay

Post by Splouge » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Wow Local 4! Your winter weather advisory text crawl was so educational! I never knew that Midland & Bay Counties were part of Southeast Michigan! I love a good geography lesson!

"Metro Detroit and downriver"

Wow Local 4! I never knew that the name of my beloved downriver region should be lowercase, and here I thought it was a proper noun! Thanks for the grammar lesson!

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Ben Zonia

Re: All of SE Michigan except Midland & Bay

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:19 pm

The geographic center of Michigan is in Wexford County, 5 miles Northeast of Cadillac. So technically, if it is South and East of Wexford County, it is Southeastern Michigan, though not in the way most people think about it.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:19 pm
The geographic center of Michigan is in Wexford County, 5 miles Northeast of Cadillac. So technically, if it is South and East of Wexford County, it is Southeastern Michigan, though not in the way most people think about it.
Well yeah, but when you describe a region of Michigan with a cardinal direction, it usually means a region of the lower peninsula. The UP is simply the UP, or I guess it could be divided into east UP and west UP.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 pm
Wow Local 4! Your winter weather advisory text crawl was so educational! I never knew that Midland & Bay Counties were part of Southeast Michigan! I love a good geography lesson!
I was watching Local 4 the other day and noticed how far out they cover the weather.

What I was pondering is how many folks up there are watching WDIV. Seems it must be a cable channel for them.
Do you think it's fair to say WDIV over the air would be a iffy reception for mid Michigan and the tip of the Thumb?

Lansing. Flint. Saginaw. All towns with TV stations. Is anyone in Midland watching Channel 4 for the weather?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 am

Midland and Bay counties are part of the Southeast Michigan NWS forecast area, which is served by the Pontiac NWS office

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 am

Splouge wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 pm

"Metro Detroit and downriver"

Wow Local 4! I never knew that the name of my beloved downriver region should be lowercase, and here I thought it was a proper noun! Thanks for the grammar lesson!
There’s no civic entity or compass point named "Downriver," so, even though it’s a quite foreign zone to many of us, downriver is just a descriptive term for, you know, whatever's down the river. :)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 pm
Lansing. Flint. Saginaw. All towns with TV stations. Is anyone in Midland watching Channel 4 for the weather?
None of the Detroit channels are on cable in the Tri-Cities, especially since WKBD was replaced with WBSF after that station signed on. For many cable viewers in that area, channel 4 is WEYI channel 25, with 4 being its cable slot.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Channel 4 probably has more viewers in Lucas County than Bay and Midland.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm

It'd be interesting to see where people are watching from that use Roku, Apple TV, et al.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:58 pm

I frequently go up to that area, and I listen to WWJ all the way up there on my car radio. They also do traffic backup reports on I-75 that occur in that area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic