Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Classic Country

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Classic Country

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm

I flipped on 99.5 earlier and Randy Travis was on. I was jamming out to it, and then some modern crap pop thing came on.
Why don't we have a classic country station here?
We have 4 stations playing the same trash pop songs that doesn't even resemble country. Why?

Music is my life.

Robert Faygo

Re: Classic Country

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 pm

There's no money to be made.

If you listen to Randy Travis, advertisers don't care about you and don't want to spend their money on you.

No money, no radio format.

And get off my lawn.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 pm

If you listen to Randy Travis, advertisers don't care about you and don't want to spend their money on you.

And get off my lawn.
Advertisers don't care about a 29 yo male?
Right...
So they're targeting the 16 year old country fans?

Music is my life.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:36 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 pm

And get off my lawn.
Advertisers don't care about a 29 yo male?
Right...
So they're targeting the 16 year old country fans?
You're considered an outlier. They are willing to sacrifice you for the majority of 29 year olds that have no clue who Travis is, let alone listen to his music.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Had a phone call once, asked me if I would participate in a radio ratings system. It would have involved maintaining a record of my radio listening over a period of time. I agreed to and she said she would need to get some information about me. Postal code, gender etc. When she asked my age and I told her, she said they really aren't interested in what I listen to and ended the call.

I'm part of a demographic group that for the most part have leisure time (retired). Most of us are financially independent. Empty-nesters, mortgage paid off etc.

You would think we would be an audience advertisers would like to reach.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm

You're also in the demographic that is the least likely to be influenced by advertising.

They feel they get more bang for their buck targeting younger consumers that haven't yet developed the same kind of strong brand / product loyalty that those of a certain age have developed.

I offer you exhibit #1: Any type of ad for a smartphone is wasted on you

Tman

Post by Tman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:27 am

29 year olds don't listen to radio so your view is not correct . They stream . Many paying to go commercial free. Retirees still have the habit of reverting back to radio from habit . Many retirees also have saving to spend more so then 29 year olds . Especially during a pandemic when its risky to travel about . The problem is the young up and comers trying to prove themselves by programing what they like in a fading forum . Its like they are to proud to bend over and pick up a free dollar laying right in front of them on the sidewalk .

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 am

All you have to do is log onto YouTube and realise how flawed and manipulated this is.
Look up Travis, or actually no, look up music from the 50s and 60s and you will see the majority of the thousands of comments are people way younger than me.
The problem here is that these youngsters just aren't listening to the radio, not because they don't want to hear Randy. And the ones that do listen will not sit through a commercial.
But the people that are actually listening are "too old" to matter...
Oh give me a break.

Back during the lockdown, all the stations that usually are booming were doing terrible.
These ratings are clearly all based on people walking into a business that has it on, and likely aren't paying attention.

This is going to be the death of traditional radio.

Its like you guys aren't even reading about what you're typing. Instead of parroting the way the system operates, actually logically think about it. Its absolutely ridiculous, and extremely contradictory.. and manipulative.

Music is my life.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:38 am

There’s no large market for it. I have said before it wouldn’t be a bad format for a throwaway AM station, but it wouldn’t bring in much revenue at all.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 am

I thought there were several small AM stations carrying classic country. Have they flipped formats?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 am
I thought there were several small AM stations carrying classic country. Have they flipped formats?
None in the Detroit area. CFCO in Chatham plays modern country. WCXI 1160 hasn’t been classic country in about a decade. CKWW occasionally playing Lynn Anderson’s Rose Garden or a Glenn Campbell song doesn’t count- they were pop crossovers.

krupper

Post by krupper » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:46 am

In addition, WSDS 1480-AM was a Classic Country station until 2005. See this story: http://carcitycountry.com/2012/wysi-wsd ... -part-one/

WSDS changed formats in roughly 2005 to become "La Explosiva," and is now a Spanish-language station

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:54 am

krupper wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:46 am
In addition, WSDS 1480-AM was a Classic Country station until 2005. See this story: http://carcitycountry.com/2012/wysi-wsd ... -part-one/

WSDS changed formats in roughly 2005 to become "La Explosiva," and is now a Spanish-language station
Now that is funny. Explosiva is a colloquialism in certain south American countries for the screaming s**ts.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 am

This is going to be the death of traditional radio.
It isn't entirely the fault of radio. Advertising is enamored with Google, Facebook, Criteo giving them dashboards full of graphs and metrics that they love to talk about, all while not discussing the fact that most of it is nonsense. Radio had warning that they needed to compete against this, but it was too late when Facebook entered the hyper local advertising market.

The digital advertising space is mostly nonsense on a level that I thought could only come out of the most greasy sales offices of large market radio stations. But here we are, watching these tech companies suck all the oxygen out of the room and pushing down ad rates across all types of media.

Radio hasn't made things any better by continually cheapening the product. It isn't just 29 year olds that stream, I gladly fork over a fair amount of money for streaming subscriptions to avoid the insanity that is broadcast radio *and* Sirius XM.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:55 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 pm

I offer you exhibit #1: Any type of ad for a smartphone is wasted on you

That's true. But there are products and services that do appeal to our generation. Travel. financial services, food, beverages, restaurants, automobiles, hobbies etc.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic