Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Does anyone get WUDL signal?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
szmigiel

Does anyone get WUDL signal?

Post by szmigiel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm

With my antenna mounted 30 feet up and pointed directly south, from M-59 and Mound in Shelby Twp, I am picking up every station listed in RabbitEars for the Detroit Market, expect for WUDL on RF 35. I see a very small signal of 12-14 but no quality to lock the channel in.

I could be getting co-channel interference from CIII-29 also on RF 35 from Canada, but that seems highly unlikely. I don't have any preamps set up and I was only able to pick up CIII-29 before the repack if my antenna was pointed directly East and I had the preamp on during the summer months.

I'm only 14 miles from the tower for WUDL, and I use to be able to pick them up before the repack, and even a few times post repack, but lately nothing.

innate-in-you

Re: Does anyone get WUDL signal?

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm
With my antenna mounted 30 feet up and pointed directly south, from M-59 and Mound in Shelby Twp, I am picking up every station listed in RabbitEars for the Detroit Market, expect for WUDL on RF 35. I see a very small signal of 12-14 but no quality to lock the channel in.

I could be getting co-channel interference from CIII-29 also on RF 35 from Canada, but that seems highly unlikely. I don't have any preamps set up and I was only able to pick up CIII-29 before the repack if my antenna was pointed directly East and I had the preamp on during the summer months.

I'm only 14 miles from the tower for WUDL, and I use to be able to pick them up before the repack, and even a few times post repack, but lately nothing.
I'll have to see how much these stations are interfering - and are being interfered by - each other.

One obvious factor: Tropospheric propagation is MUCH less common in the winter than it is during the summer.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:37 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm

I'll have to see how much these stations are interfering - and are being interfered by - each other.

One obvious factor: Tropospheric propagation is MUCH less common in the winter than it is during the summer.

Not to say that it can't happen. One December night, at my then location in Detroit Proper, I was getting analog UHF TV stations from Springfield, MO. By tropo.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 pm

I do but it's difficult... plus, on DVD/VCR/ATSC combo, it shows up as 19.x, overwriting TVO...

I don't really see much that interests me on the subchannels they air.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

I am not even sure I want WUDL to come in, it is just strange it is so close and so weak. I pull in 18 WDWO-CD, 15 WHPS-CD, and 28 WLPC-CD with enough clarity to lock them in. Both 19-1 TVO and 9.1 CBC come in nice and clear, the other Canadian stations don't even show a weak signal, 14, 16, 17, 30, 33. It is nice that I can scan individual channels manually with my DVR and see signal strength and quality.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 pm

You are right on the each of their coverage area. It's possible with that coverage pattern, you won't get a signal where you live.

Check out the coverage map here: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php ... r=&circen=

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:41 pm

According to that map I am just inside the blue line for coverage, but get barley a signal at all on RF35. So I wonder if WUDL goes down for a bit, would I be able to pull in another Canadian station?

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 am

szmigiel wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:41 pm
According to that map I am just inside the blue line for coverage, but get barley a signal at all on RF35. So I wonder if WUDL goes down for a bit, would I be able to pull in another Canadian station?
That blue line is the 51dBu signal. According to FCC guidelines, you should be able to receive the station if you have an outside antenna 30 feet ABOVE your roof. If your antenna isn't mount like that, it's anyone's guess!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 am

Yes it is a 8bay 180 degree antenna, pointed directly south (not at the towers in Southfield) and the midpoint of the antenna is mounted 32 feet in the air, no Preamp.

proxima3

Post by proxima3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am

I'm in central Wayne County and use one of those little $15 flat, square antennas. I can get WUDL more often than not.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:56 am

szmigiel wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm
I am not even sure I want WUDL to come in, it is just strange it is so close and so weak. I pull in 18 WDWO-CD, 15 WHPS-CD, and 28 WLPC-CD with enough clarity to lock them in. Both 19-1 TVO and 9.1 CBC come in nice and clear, the other Canadian stations don't even show a weak signal, 14, 16, 17, 30, 33. It is nice that I can scan individual channels manually with my DVR and see signal strength and quality.
Same here, in western Wayne county with a homemade antenna in the attic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic