Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDRQ must be making WYCD sweat

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
WOHO

Re: WDRQ must be making WYCD sweat

Post by WOHO » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:18 am

Westwood One's Classic Country feed was decent, but I don't know of any station broadcasting it anymore? I've given-up on Classic Country OTA other than 650 WSM some nights and rely on SXM's "Willie's Roadhouse" for a Classic Country 'fix' now and then.

deadend

Post by deadend » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:54 am

[quote=option1 post_id=634460 time=1602208725 user_id=9371]
[quote=IIN4MU post_id=634153 time=1602093325 user_id=2204]
[quote=deadend post_id=634140 time=<a href="tel:1602090545">1602090545</a> user_id=1088]
Is Rachel that lady with the horrible plastic surgery that used to be on the morning show at WDRQ years ago? She used to laugh over every comment that was made on that show, like she had mental issues or something. God damn, her face is so messed up.
[/quote]

That would be her. She's a cockroach, just like Jay Towers.
[/quote]

Couple of real winners you two A-holes are. Of all things to discuss on a radio message board, you lowlifes have to discuss Rachels looks? I’m assuming I can find you two scum bags on the cover of next months GQ magazine? Probably no. More likely the cover of Mad magazine.

There’s a reason Rachel & Jay have been working in this market for 20+ years...they are professionals and very good at what they do. So, you two crumbs just continue to sit on your respective couches drinking Budweiser, eating Cheetos and watching reruns of Gilligans Island while Jay and Rachel continue their success in spite of haters like you two creeps.
[/quote]

It goes to show what type of personality she is, which translates on to the air. Fake, phony, made up and shallow. On air, at least in the DRQ days, she laughed like a hyena over everything that was said whether it was meant to be amusing or not and offered nothing to the morning show. She is a non offensive, non-controversial, media “talent”, like fat head jay towers, who are uncharismatic bores and are perfect for background noise and are not disruptive. To me, it’s why people have left terrestrial radio in droves. Jay towers and plastic Rachel, whose Botox face looks like a science experiment gone wrong, offer no reason for people to turn on local radio over listening to podcasts or other media alternatives.

Her appearance speaks volumes to her “talent” and her as a person.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:25 pm

I get Duke FM well here in the Brighton/Howell area, and even as a minor country fan, it hits the spot. I can guarantee that I'm gonna hear at least 2 songs per hour that I really enjoy. There are select hits I enjoy up through 9/11, but post 9/11 country music is a major turn off for me. I believe it has gotten us to where we are today; what a friend of mine coined "concrete cowboys". You spend enough time on Grand River over here and you'll see exactly what I mean.

As for YCD and DRQ? I'm good. Gimme more of that Duke.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Heard two audio sources play at the same time on 99.5 shortly before Noon today.

The midday show - although well produced - sounds like a satellite show, because...it is!

All local flavor from Rob and Holly at night has been completely lost.

Playlist wise, I definitely prefer 99.5. Their music choices were inexcusably terrible last spring, but the music choices over the past 90 days have gotten better.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm

WOHO wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:18 am
Westwood One's Classic Country feed was decent, but I don't know of any station broadcasting it anymore? I've given-up on Classic Country OTA other than 650 WSM some nights and rely on SXM's "Willie's Roadhouse" for a Classic Country 'fix' now and then.
I wouldn’t mind a Detroit AM switching to classic country. I don’t see it happening for several reasons.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:51 pm

All local flavor from Rob and Holly at night has been completely lost.

They did local content outside of the call letters?
All I ever caught was the cringy '30% of men snore' stuff you hear all the VT'd shows do.
They didn't belong on PM drive.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:47 am

I know it's Austin, TX and it has a far different demographic and music scene than Detroit does, but KOKE-FM out of Austin is the type of station I've been dying for. Instead of playing Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Chase Rice, Florida-Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Kane Brown, Racal Flatts, and Sam Hunt they are playing Holly Williams, Jason Isbell, Josh Abbot Band, Sturgill Simpson, Turnpike Troubadours, Tyler Childers, and Wade Bowen. Now, KOKE-FM probably plays more gold than I would like to see, but I'd love to have a station step outside the box and be a "real country" format and cut out almost all the pop, bro, and edm "country" you hear from mainstream country radio.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm
WYCD is becoming more and more unlistenable. Their jingles are horrendous - they belong on a CHR station. But maybe they fit since very little of the music they play is country. DRQ is only slightly better musically, but they do appear to be more proactive in playing female artists, which is good when those females, like Maddie & Tae, Ashley McBryde, and Miranda Lambert are putting out some of the most "country" music on country radio right now.

Still would like an '80s-'00s throwback station, but thankfully I'm within listening range of Duke FM.
I agree that YCD is awful right now. Almost all male artists are more pop, like Sam Hunt and FGL, although some artists like Jon Pardi and Luke Combs are still country. I do agree that female artists are sounding more country these artists, although some artists like Maren Morris are more pop.

I wish 93.1 would become NashIcon. It's mostly a decent format except it's still filled with some of the bro country artists. The one in Monroe sometimes goes from the Oak Ridge Boys to Jake Owen. It can be a trainwreck. It's like they're trying to appeal to everybody but few people are going to want to hear both old and new hits.

I've listened to Duke a few times and it's so much better. No bro country at all.
I concur on Nash Icon. When I have Duke FM which is all the good throwback stuff, there's no need for Nash Icon where I have to sit through Sam Hunt to hear the good stuff. Not that I could listen to Nash Icon even if I wanted to, since WMIM is completely blocked by the "89.3 The Arbor" translator in Chelsea and WDRQ-HD2 reception is virtually nonexistent here.

I recall a while ago WRCI in Three Rivers, which had been airing Westwood One's Classic Country format (which is also excellent), switched to Nash Icon. Listeners must have complained because after maybe a year it went back to WW1 Classic Country.
In Toledo, 103.7 has had a classic country format for over a year now, and they don't play any newer songs and only concentrate on true country songs. I prefer them slightly over 98.3 even though 98.3 has better reception in the city. Unfortunately, 103.7 is contractually obligated to both run the Bobby Bones morning show and his countdown show, which doesn't fit the main format.

Muskegon used to have a niche format called 92.5 the Outlaw. It joined the Nash Icon feed the day it launched. The new format wasn't well-liked by fans of the Outlaw.
WCKY 103.7 also airs the Cody Alan show overnights (I assume also for contract reasons), which means the classic country station isn't playing classics 10 out of 24 hours.

Reminds me of when Kool 107 in Ann Arbor ran Delilah during evening hours despite being a late '60s-early '90s classic hits station the remainder of the time (they were under Cumulus ownership at the time, but it continued after Clear Channel bought the station, although Clear Channel moved the daytime playlist away from classic hits and closer to AC).

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Cody Allan's show is also a holdover to the previous new country-based format. They also run NASCAR races from MRN and PRN radio during the season. I bet Bobby and Cody's shows both leave when the contracts of both are up.

Cody's show used to air on K100 until Nash Nights Live (now Nights with Elaina) debuted.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 pm

Wow... DRQ crashed in the September 6+. After being comfortably in the high 3's for awhile, they're down to 2.6, now behind public station WDET. Among commercial Detroit FM's that subscribe only Snot 107-5 is doing worse (they're now below a 2).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm

99.5 has broadened its playlist.

93.1 spins currents and bro country to death.

The reversal of spring's ill-advised playlist changes seems to be paying dividends for 99.5.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 pm

What has changed about 99.5's playlist?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm hearing more library tracks on the air and not as much electric drum infused garbage (it's still there but in lesser quantity). Overall, the playlist is pretty balanced at the moment. Even a decent amount of the new music 99.5 is playing is OK.

The fact I can avoid 93.1's abrasive imaging voice is another bonus.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Wonder if the new music is part of the country chart trends right now?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 am

Who would have thought a year ago that 93.1 would be the station that would be live and local (almost) all day and 99.5 would be the one with canned content and voice tracking? DJ's and strong talent were the cornerstone of WYCD since its inception as Young Country 99.5 back in 1993. Oh well, corporate radio killed another one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic