Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer Misses The Mark

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MasterB

Re: Whitmer Misses The Mark

Post by MasterB » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 am
audiophile wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 am
Whitmer is caterwauling because she is about lose her overreach :barf
Of course, it's just bologna:
Unlock Michigan spokesman Fred Wszolek said the governor's contention is “nonsensical, unless you assume that the governor would be completely unable to persuade the Legislature to continue a single one of her pandemic policies. Our proposal doesn’t revoke any of her policies; we simply revoke her authority to impose her policies by decree, bypassing the Legislature."

Republicans including Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey have questioned the reasoning behind Whitmer's orders and have said no businesses, including movie theaters, should still be closed.
Read the bottom paragraph... that’s the exact reason she won’t give it up. She thinks she knows better than Shirkey and co. how to manage this... on that she’s probably right. We will fare worse in a second wave with them at the helm.
The governor has abused her power I hope the State Supreme court gets rid of 1945 law which 1976 law is the one that should stay on the books since that is the one where she has to work with the Legislature from the start. And I'd be saying that if a coverservative was governor as well if they were using the 1945 law as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:23 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:07 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
The appeals court has upheld the governors continued use of emergency powers.. strike 2 for the legislature.
Cite those cases.
The first was the judge in Detroit, this is the appeal. Too bad.
RT is the #1 fan of government overreach.
I’m a fan of stating facts. I didn’t take a position but twice now the government overreach position has lost.
How'd it do in the final court?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:23 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:07 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
The appeals court has upheld the governors continued use of emergency powers.. strike 2 for the legislature.
Cite those cases.
The first was the judge in Detroit, this is the appeal. Too bad.
RT is the #1 fan of government overreach.
I’m a fan of stating facts. I didn’t take a position but twice now the government overreach position has lost.
How'd it do in the final court?
They won. Now she says it’ll be 21 days before it takes effect... whatever that means.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:23 am

Rate This - Did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express? :blink
audiophile wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:56 am
Even if the 1945 law is upheld in State Courts, if will get struck down in Federal Courts. It's clear cat-and-mouse game re-issuing EO's.

It won't matter the Free Michigan folks will get enough veto-proof signatures to kill it soon.
audiophile wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 pm
It's possible that the 1945 law could be found unconstitutional.
audiophile wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:14 am
I won't call her any vulgar names. I owe her that respect as governor, but her policies are inconsistent at best, unconstitutional at worst.
audiophile wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:54 am
I think the Whitmer E.O. is likely unconstitutional as it violates equal protection. She can not pick on certain things. In fact the statue only sites "Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, explosives, and combustibles." In other words, bomb making materials, not silk flowers. See Act 390 of 1976, 30.405(h) Clearly this law was intended for times of war or unrest which doesn't really apply to this virus. I find this to be an abuse of office.

I find ironic the Granholm signed a law that guns can NOT be controlled under executive orders. See Act 390 of 1976, 30.405(2)

Remember Whitmer signed an executive order and declared a state of emergency for typical Michigan cold weather (-15F). I kid you not: https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309 ... --,00.html

I have been in contact with residents of other states without draconian E.O. and there isn't much difference, except not being harassed by police. Whitmer has turned the state into a police state unnecessarily. She would be better suited as the governor of Cuba, or maybe New Jersey, LOL.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 am

There were some folks even on the right who - while greatly frustrated by the Governor's unilateral exercise of power - thought her actions might be valid under the 1945 act.

I consistently have taken the view the 1976 act was the applicable statute in this situation and was critical of the courts' seeming lack of urgency in making a final ruling on the matter. I realize the judicial process (i.e. court of clams, then circuit court of appeals, then state supreme court) had to play itself out, I just don't understand why it took nearly six months in total time to get from Point A to Point B.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:27 am

Remember Whitmer signed an executive order and declared a state of emergency for typical Michigan cold weather (-15F). I kid you not:
That episode was not "typical" cold weather for lower Michigan. I have no problem with that EO.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:18 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 am
There were some folks even on the right who - while greatly frustrated by the Governor's unilateral exercise of power - thought her actions might be valid under the 1945 act.

I consistently have taken the view the 1976 act was the applicable statute in this situation and was critical of the courts' seeming lack of urgency in making a final ruling on the matter. I realize the judicial process (i.e. court of clams, then circuit court of appeals, then state supreme court) had to play itself out, I just don't understand why it took nearly six months in total time to get from Point A to Point B.
Are you suggesting I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? I got it 100%!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:32 am

Good call audio. My reasoning was just a tad bit different. I didn't think that the 1945 statute in and of itself was unconstitutional as was Whitmer's veto of the legislature's attempt to take back the power it rightfully owned in the first place. In other words, I didn't necessarily take issue with the legislature delegating such power to the governor, but they should have been able to take that power back whenever they wanted, and Whitmer's veto effectively prevented that.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:32 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 am
audiophile wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 pm
It's possible that the 1945 law could be found unconstitutional.
you are in an incredible minority of people. Just sit back it'll be done before you know it.
WRONG! I will known as the person that sided with the constitution.
TC Talks wrote:
You don't want to be known as the person who sided with the racists and the Nazis.
The Governor's order looks more like something associated with Nazi's.
TC Talks wrote:
Who is crying now? Gretchen!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:49 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:32 am
Good call audio. My reasoning was just a tad bit different. I didn't think that the 1945 statute in and of itself was unconstitutional as was Whitmer's veto of the legislature's attempt to take back the power it rightfully owned in the first place. In other words, I didn't necessarily take issue with the legislature delegating such power to the governor, but they should have been able to take that power back whenever they wanted, and Whitmer's veto effectively prevented that.
True.

it is kind of nasty that once you give someone inch they take a mile, and then they take your coat too.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:03 am

Happy that Bitchmer lost in the Michigan Supreme Court and can't abuse her power anymore. Seem like Wisconsin Supreme Court got that case faster than in Michigan which I don't get in the spring and took until Oct to get the ruling.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic