Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

First Presidential Debate

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: First Presidential Debate

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:14 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:00 pm
UP906 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:00 am
Biden was not "taking notes". Point out to me where he takes out his pen and starts writing.

He was reading a statement.
He was writing in the beginning and throughout the debate he took his pen out. Get glasses if need be... basic equipment to discuss things here is a prerequisite you doofus.
The guy stating that Biden won is calling someone else a doofus...

Newsflash: neither won, we all lost
While I would agree with this, Wednesday afternoon QBing would say Trump lost bigger. Even McConnell is saying the racist has gotta make a statement about white supremacists to give the illusion he's not a racist. But since he is a racist, and a arrogant stubborn asshole, he won't, so it keeps spinning against him, making Biden look better.

Point is...Trump clearly did not win, unless you're braind dead like bidet. And being behind in all the polls, he needed too.
My point is that neither won, you've said as much yourself, yet we've got R Tedell here claiming Biden won some great victory.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:11 pm

My point is that neither won, you've said as much yourself, yet we've got R Tedell here claiming Biden won some great victory.
I agree that there was no winner. But which candidate do think is better off 24 hours from that clusterfuck?
The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:27 pm

I agree with Matt and Honeyman; the losers were the American electorate. What occurred last night was a disgrace, and Trump is primarily responsible for the chaos. No surprise there. He loves conflict.

I must say, I felt bad for Chris Wallace. Having no commercial breaks compounded the situation.

Mics need to be turned off unless it is said candidate's turn to speak.

If Trump wasn't such an asshole, I would've given him the edge. He screwed himself out of an opportunity to gain ground with undecideds.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I think it is just about certain one of the changes the debate committee will make for the next 2 is the turning off of mikes. But one side will scream and yell and bitch and say the rules are changing and its unfair and.....

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:08 pm

I think it a great idea to shut the mic's off. Keep Trump's off for 90 minutes. Let Joe talk the whole time. Trump wins.

This debate, if you got rid of the shitty optics that Trump emits and just concentrate on the points made. Trump won.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:08 pm
I think it a great idea to shut the mic's off. Keep Trump's off for 90 minutes. Let Joe talk the whole time. Trump wins.

This debate, if you got rid of the shitty optics that Trump emits and just concentrate on the points made. Trump won.
Trump didn’t make any points... I just rewatched it... Biden at least put ideas out... Trump was incomprehensible and that’s being polite.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:59 pm
Bryce wrote:

Trump didn’t make any points... I just rewatched it... Biden at least put ideas out... Trump was incomprehensible and that’s being polite.
As filtered through your young idealistic mush mind.

And by the way, he did say he wasn't in favor of the Green New Deal when his campaign website says otherwise.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:15 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:59 pm
Bryce wrote:

As filtered through your young idealistic mush mind.

And by the way, he did say he wasn't in favor of the Green New Deal when his campaign website says otherwise.
That’s not exactly what his website says.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:27 pm
I agree with Matt and Honeyman; the losers were the American electorate. What occurred last night was a disgrace, and Trump is primarily responsible for the chaos. No surprise there. He loves conflict.

I must say, I felt bad for Chris Wallace. Having no commercial breaks compounded the situation.

Mics need to be turned off unless it is said candidate's turn to speak.

If Trump wasn't such an asshole, I would've given him the edge. He screwed himself out of an opportunity to gain ground with undecideds.
Fuck Chris Wallace. He should have gone full stop and not proceeded with the broadcast until Trump could be brought under control. What? Would the guys in the production truck just gone to black? Run bars & tone? Maybe cut to a Krazy Kat cartoon? Nope, Wallace could have simple stopped asking questions until there was an assurance from the participants that the rules would be followed. What if those rules continued not to be followed? Look straight into Camera 1 and inform the audience that the situation was no longer tenable, that his professional reputation built up for years was far more valuable to him than to be party to the fiasco, take off his mic and walk away. Again, at that point let the producer's throw up one of those funny "We're having technical difficulties" slide with a monkey behind a camera on fire or whatever they had on hand. Gosh, maybe just lock the camera on a long shot, leave the mics potted up and let America make up its own mind who shit the bed to bring the debates to a halt.

Nope, Wallace did exactly what Trump believed he would do which was, pragmatically, not a God-damn thing.

Oh, and about no commercials? If you've read any of the conservative dribble on the web, any breaks would have been an unfair advantage to Sleepy Joe, the man who was too feeble to walk across the stage let alone go for more than 15 minutes with a potty break or a shot in the ass of Captain America's Super Soldier Serum in order to stay awake past 7:00 pm.

[EDIT: BTW, I just read these quotes from Wallace about said event:

“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did.”
“I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate”

It would appear seven million dollars a year doesn't buy much in terms of journalistic foresight these days]

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:51 am

For months leading up to this, all the righties said, "Just wait until the debates, Biden will say all sorts of ridiculous stuff", and then Trump tries not to let him get a word in edgewise. Brilliant man.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:52 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:51 am
For months leading up to this, all the righties said, "Just wait until the debates, Biden will say all sorts of ridiculous stuff", and then Trump tries not to let him get a word in edgewise. Brilliant man.
With all due respect to your personal friend who deleted his account, there really is no better word to characterize our choices: one of the two elderly retards is going to win.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:17 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:52 am

With all due respect to your personal friend who deleted his account, there really is no better word to characterize our choices: one of the two elderly retards is going to win.
If the deleted user you're referring to is Lucky, he's still around and still active using another of his long time aliases
Graham Wellington.

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/memberli ... le&u=14873
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:19 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:29 am
Wallace could have simple stopped asking questions until there was an assurance from the participants that the rules would be followed. What if those rules continued not to be followed? Look straight into Camera 1 and inform the audience that the situation was no longer tenable, that his professional reputation built up for years was far more valuable to him than to be party to the fiasco, take off his mic and walk away.
Debates are about the people debating, NOT the moderators. It is not the role of the moderator to make himself/herself the center of attention and the big talking point of the following day. So I completely disagree with this suggestion. To get up and walk away would have been the exact opposite of professionalism. Now, what he maybe COULD have done is just stop moderating and said something like "if you two don't want to follow the rules, I'll just stop asking questions until you do" and then just let them go at it.
“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did.”
“I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate”

It would appear seven million dollars a year doesn't buy much in terms of journalistic foresight these days]
Now THIS I agree with and have been saying that since right after the debate. How Chris Wallace was not prepared for "Trump being Trump" is quite unbelievable.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:17 am
Matt wrote:

If the deleted user you're referring to is Lucky, he's still around and still active using another of his long time aliases
Graham Wellington.

He's referring to Vic since "retard' was word Vic despised, and I do too. Kinda surprised an intelligent guy like Matt could not find another word to describe the mental deficiency of these candidates.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:17 am
Matt wrote:

Graham Wellington.

He's referring to Vic since "retard' was word Vic despised, and I do too. Kinda surprised an intelligent guy like Matt could not find another word to describe the mental deficiency of these candidates.
Maybe its an age thing... Is mongoloid equally offensive?

Growing up in the 90s, "retard" was used pretty freely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic