Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RUTH BADER GINSBURG DEAD

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Re: RUTH BADER GINSBURG DEAD

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 am

To me, it seemed indecent, that within minutes of the news of her death, the networks were already nattering about her replacement.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:47 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 am
Honeyman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:50 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:44 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm
Amy Coney Barrett, come-on down!

To preempt all the lefty whining, you had a lame duck President and didn't have control of the Senate. Save your whining...
Matt wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:46 pm
RIP, by the way.
imagine political football being this important to your life.
Not too much surprises me on this board any more, but that kind of did.
Nope...hypocrite of the highest order. But doing the right thing is not even secondary anymore...it's waaaay down the list. Must say "Zeig Heil" to furher trump.
Its worth noting that as of this reply, only those of us on the right have really said kind words about RBG in this thread: UP906, bmw, zzand, and myself. Also, please see RT's response for the EXACT reason I preemptively posted my original post. Lastly, re-read the post where I advocated for waiting until after the election.
You also said this was different than the Scalia situation and I asked how... you skipped that.

I don’t know much about RBG so I’m not going to give an opinion one way or the other for lack of information. But we can move on now... we gots a nomination fight and it only took an hour to start it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:07 pm

G G wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:12 am
Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:54 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Matt wrote:

To preempt all the lefty whining, you had a lame duck President and didn't have control of the Senate. Save your whining...
Matt wrote:
RIP, by the way.
Why did you even come back here? Your reading comprehension continues to be piss poor, like when you suggested I was rude to TT.

I did not celebrate her death like many on the left did when her dear friend Justice Scalia unexpectedly passed. I’ve also suggested that President Trump should wait until the election to nominate the successor. The other issue is that RBG clearly was in no position to continue her duties for quite some time, so she probably should have retired months, if not years ago.
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am
I fully expect the next Supreme Court Justice will be voted on by the end of the first week of October and Mitch out on his ass by the end of the first week of November. McGrath's donation page crashed tonight.
Do you really think all of those out of state donations are going to drastically impact the votes of G G and his fellow Kentuckians?
I do not live or own land in Kentucky, and I have never said as such, so as I live rent-free in your mind, please keep the territory I occupy straight?

But since I can see the libs have you riled up (again) son, let me give you a few words of advice. I think you can use them.

People don't come to internet forums, and certainly not this one, to engage in earnest discussion. They come here for their own personal amusement. You come here for your own personal amusement. How that is defined depends on the individual, but time and time again, I observe you getting outright angered with the libs when they call you out for how you respond to events or the things they say, or even how they say them. You don't need to give a summary of your feelings, they don't care and when you do it, then it just gives the appearance that you can be manipulated.

What I am trying to say here, is that you can't control how people use this website. When you try to appear as though you are "taking the high road", or behave like a petulent child because people use the site in ways you don't like, when there are users who wield multiple accounts, when there are tools that can help you avoid reading posts from users you cannot handle reading posts from, all you are doing is encouraging the people you do not like to post more, because they are posting to encourage that exact reaction.

This isn't the family dinner table. It's a public restroom stall, and whatever you write on the wall won't change anyone's mind, at most it will amuse them. So, like in this post I am quoting, you are interested in defending your position, this amuses the libs. They are not engaging in earnest discussion. The whole thing is just an exercise in posturing.

Let's calm down and not care so much what these people have to say. You aren't required to defend your positions here. Frankly, they don't seem to care beyond getting you wound up.
I treat people how they teach others to treat them. I don't just play around. But it's like the old saying " Garbage in, garbage out.* Conversely, if you show yourself to be a decent human being (and Matt has for the most part), I will return the same kindness. It's just like any public interaction.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:25 pm

There are two recent docs/bio pic on RBG. No matter your political leaning - you will enjoy learning about this American’s exemplary life. She was quite the citizen.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 am
To me, it seemed indecent, that within minutes of the news of her death, the networks were already nattering about her replacement.
The Fall Term of the USC starts Oct 5th, but they could have waited.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 am
Democrats set that precedent in 2016. Going back in time to February 13, 2016 (the day Justice Scalia died), and this ALL was said that same day of the confirmation of Scalia's death:

Then-President Obama: Shortly before a trip to California, he "announced his intention to send the Senate a nominee."

Hillary Clinton, at a campaign event: "Elections have consequences. The president has a responsibility to nominate a new justice and the Senate has has a responsibility to vote."

Then-Senator Harry Reid: "The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. It would be unprecedented in recent history for the Supreme Court to go a year with a vacant seat. Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate's most essential Constitutional responsibilities."

Then-Senator Patrick Leahy: "We've never had vacancy and nomination [for] a year that didn't get voted on. Obama's been elected twice, you have to assume if Mitt Romney had been elected he'd be making this nomination."

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/ ... ion-219248

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Only problem was that was 9 months before an election. This is 2 months.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 pm

"I made it absolutely clear I would go forward with the confirmation process as chairman, even a few months ahead of a presidential election."

Joe Biden - March 2016

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 pm
"I made it absolutely clear I would go forward with the confirmation process as chairman, even a few months ahead of a presidential election."

Joe Biden - March 2016
So explain Mitch McConnell then... since ultimately what happened is we had to wait to have an election before we got a new justice that became the current precedent. You can’t keep changing the standard to suit the Machiavellian tendencies that seem to have developed on the right... it also makes it clear that what he did to Merrick Garland was pure politics if he’s so easily willing to throw this newfound principal away.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:16 pm

McConnell's argument (which I find rather weak, btw) is that there's a difference between when the same party controls the executive branch and the Senate (like now) and when they're controlled by opposing parties (like 2016). His logic is that when people elect a Senate majority of the party opposite the President that they do so expecting the Senate to act as check on the power of the executive, but that when they elect the same party to run both branches that they expect those people to get things done.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:23 pm

IT'S NOT FAIR!

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

>: >: >:

Thread Killer

G G

Post by G G » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:07 pm
G G wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:12 am
Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:54 am
Neckbeard wrote:
Matt wrote:

Matt wrote:
RIP, by the way.
Why did you even come back here? Your reading comprehension continues to be piss poor, like when you suggested I was rude to TT.

I did not celebrate her death like many on the left did when her dear friend Justice Scalia unexpectedly passed. I’ve also suggested that President Trump should wait until the election to nominate the successor. The other issue is that RBG clearly was in no position to continue her duties for quite some time, so she probably should have retired months, if not years ago.
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am
I fully expect the next Supreme Court Justice will be voted on by the end of the first week of October and Mitch out on his ass by the end of the first week of November. McGrath's donation page crashed tonight.
Do you really think all of those out of state donations are going to drastically impact the votes of G G and his fellow Kentuckians?
I do not live or own land in Kentucky, and I have never said as such, so as I live rent-free in your mind, please keep the territory I occupy straight?

But since I can see the libs have you riled up (again) son, let me give you a few words of advice. I think you can use them.

People don't come to internet forums, and certainly not this one, to engage in earnest discussion. They come here for their own personal amusement. You come here for your own personal amusement. How that is defined depends on the individual, but time and time again, I observe you getting outright angered with the libs when they call you out for how you respond to events or the things they say, or even how they say them. You don't need to give a summary of your feelings, they don't care and when you do it, then it just gives the appearance that you can be manipulated.

What I am trying to say here, is that you can't control how people use this website. When you try to appear as though you are "taking the high road", or behave like a petulent child because people use the site in ways you don't like, when there are users who wield multiple accounts, when there are tools that can help you avoid reading posts from users you cannot handle reading posts from, all you are doing is encouraging the people you do not like to post more, because they are posting to encourage that exact reaction.

This isn't the family dinner table. It's a public restroom stall, and whatever you write on the wall won't change anyone's mind, at most it will amuse them. So, like in this post I am quoting, you are interested in defending your position, this amuses the libs. They are not engaging in earnest discussion. The whole thing is just an exercise in posturing.

Let's calm down and not care so much what these people have to say. You aren't required to defend your positions here. Frankly, they don't seem to care beyond getting you wound up.
I treat people how they teach others to treat them. I don't just play around. But it's like the old saying " Garbage in, garbage out.* Conversely, if you show yourself to be a decent human being (and Matt has for the most part), I will return the same kindness. It's just like any public interaction.
hows the lawsuit going, babby

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:16 pm
McConnell's argument (which I find rather weak, btw) is that there's a difference between when the same party controls the executive branch and the Senate (like now) and when they're controlled by opposing parties (like 2016). His logic is that when people elect a Senate majority of the party opposite the President that they do so expecting the Senate to act as check on the power of the executive, but that when they elect the same party to run both branches that they expect those people to get things done.
That is rather weak... I think we can both agree there was some definite politics at play... as there was when Obama put up the rather bland Garland to try to force their hand.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Bryce wrote:

Joe Biden - March 2016
So explain Mitch McConnell then... since ultimately what happened is we had to wait to have an election before we got a new justice that became the current precedent. You can’t keep changing the standard to suit the Machiavellian tendencies that seem to have developed on the right... it also makes it clear that what he did to Merrick Garland was pure politics if he’s so easily willing to throw this newfound principal away.
I don't need to explain Mitch McConnell he's not running for president. Joe Biden is. And even so why is it not a big deal if Joe Biden changes his stance on this but it is a big deal if Mitch McConnell does?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Bryce wrote:

Joe Biden - March 2016
I don't need to explain Mitch McConnell he's not running for president. Joe Biden is. And even so why is it not a big deal if Joe Biden changes his stance on this but it is a big deal if Mitch McConnell does?
Because Mitch McConnell was in direct control of the process both times. Joe Biden’s opinion is in from the sidelines. His original gripe was pure politics and nothing more. He wanted that seat on the court in a conservatives hands and so he moved heaven and earth to gum up the works. Now that the shoe is on the other foot he’s gonna move heaven and earth to ram somebody through in 5 minutes. Whether Biden thought that was good or bad or was worth a bucket of warm piss is irrelevant. That would be different if he’d had a role in it but he didn’t.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic