Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Old WJR Radio Guide

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: Old WJR Radio Guide

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:08 pm

In the eighties, I loved getting these pamphlets at Big Boy. Back then, our family was going to Platte Lake every summer, and I always had a radio and earphones with me.

This was how I learned that 1000 watts up north was worth 50 watts downstate.

Interesting that they included "WFXZ" on 1030. That callsign was obviously never spoken on that frequency. They first appeared in the very hot summer of 1988, with a loop tape of recent pop hits and using the WDRQ callsign (93.1 had relinquished that callsign to become WLTI).

Those pamphlets also named the AM stereo stations, which came in handy when I bought my Sony SRF-A100.

IMHO, these were the greatest days of radio. Adult Standards: Check. Rock Oldies: Check. Top 40: Check (this was the Second British Invasion!).

I could happily listen for hours on end😄

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:13 pm

In the eighties, I loved getting these pamphlets at Big Boy. Back then, our family was going to Platte Lake every summer, and I always had a radio and earphones with me.

This was how I learned that 1000 watts up north was worth 50 watts downstate.

Interesting that they included "WFXZ" on 1030. That callsign was obviously never spoken on that frequency. They first appeared in the very hot summer of 1988, with a loop tape of recent pop hits and using the WDRQ callsign (93.1 had relinquished that callsign to become WLTI). After a brief silent period, WUDT signed on with religion, had been weak at Cadieux/Harper, though WUDT would rearrange the towers to improve their coverage greatly.

Those pamphlets also named the AM stereo stations, which came in handy when I bought my Sony SRF-A100.

IMHO, these were the greatest days of radio. Adult Standards: Check. Rock Oldies: Check. Top 40: Check (this was the Second British Invasion!).

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:13 pm

In the 43 years that I've lived in Metro Detroit, the 80s was my favorite radio time too. A wide variety of pop and rock stations. Full-time jazz and classical stations. Great jazz and blues shows on WDET (Ed Love, Famous Coachman). Strong local talk (David Newman, Mark Scott). Great syndicated shows like Bruce Williams. Paul and Ernie calling the Tigers of Morris, Trammell, and Gibson. All that and Holy Hubert Lindsey on WMUZ.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:41 pm

[ Great jazz and blues shows on WDET (Ed Love, Famous Coachman).

Ed Love is still on the air, (Sunday nights at ten.)

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:29 pm

With all the duplicate formats in town and AM not doing well, wonder if a non-political product could do well? WJR back in the 80-90 did well.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:49 am

Like, put "The Breeze" format on WJR as your "At work radio station" with local TOH newscasts and office music for the weekdays and save the syndicated crap for weekends, overnight at most.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic