Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CBC article about stations going off the air

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14896

CBC article about stations going off the air

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Here's an article I seen about many Canadian stations going off the air due to Covid:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/c ... H_zVgyMeU0

Deleted User 15062

Re: CBC article about stations going off the air

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm

To be honest, this is not a good time for Canadian Broadcasters, as they just got DTV frequencies cut, DTV transitioning and the stations go off the air allot easier.

This could be a big learning point for Canada's broadcast companies. But to make any changes, broadcasters must ask to change business models from the CRTC, which has wwwaaayyy too much power on everything broadcasting.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Just curious as to how many stations in Southwestern Ontario will leave the airwaves. Seems to be many stations that are losing money in cities like Sarnia, Chatham and even Windsor. Is Blackburn and Bell Media doing good or bad in these markets? Detroit has always had a tremendous influence on these small Canadian markets.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:00 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm
To be honest, this is not a good time for Canadian Broadcasters, as they just got DTV frequencies cut, DTV transitioning and the stations go off the air allot easier.

This could be a big learning point for Canada's broadcast companies. But to make any changes, broadcasters must ask to change business models from the CRTC, which has wwwaaayyy too much power on everything broadcasting.
In addition to the CRTC, it also doesn't help that Bell owns the largest radio group, the most popular TV network (and most of its affiliates), one of the Canadian DBS companies, and one of Canada's largest cell phone providers.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:03 am

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm

In a different thread on this same story, Windsor had some vitally important thought to share.
windsor wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Hey TT I see that you must be in charge of the Biden campaign as its so fucked up , good job. :lol:

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 69#p628169

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:57 pm

I don't think Windsor TV stations would be a top priority for keeping on the air, since most of them just air the same stuff as Detroit stations.

CBET is the safest, since they have a lot of exclusive shows, and they even have cable coverage in SE Michigan, and I they're on Buckeye Cable in all regions. They're certainly not in a bad situation financially, considering the fact that they have advertising AND tax revenue. Plus, Windsor needs at least one news outlet to provide weather forecasts in celsius.

CICO's Windsor transmitter already had a shutdown scare back in 2017, as did all the TVO stations outside of Toronto. But I'm sure the Canadian government will just throw more money at it.

CIII doesn't air much, if any, exclusive programs to my knowledge. I don't receive it however. But I'd say both the Stevenson and Sarnia transmitters are in danger.

CHWI is the most vulnerable. Both transmitters have to run at a very low power to avoid overlap with Detroit stations. The news operation is mediocre, they have trouble getting sponsors, and they're so close to CTV2 London. I wouldn't be surprised at all if both 16 and 17 are gone by 2022.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic