Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JLesinski

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Post by JLesinski » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 am
God, I am sick and tired of hearing about stale music. The average radio listener wants to hear songs that they recognize. Back in the heyday of Top 40, some songs were on a 1 1/2 to 2 hour rotation. You folks would be sticking an ice pick in your ear. No programmer worth a damn would program a bunch of obscure album cuts, B-sides, and stiffs in regular programming to cater to a small group of music snobs. It just wouldn't work. It would be radio suicide. It is what it is.
Thats crap. None of us are saying to load up on B-sides or obscure tracks. It seems like youre saying that in a 20 year span of rock and roll only about 200 great songs were created? Thats bull shit. There are tons of great songs that people would recognize that cant get a sniff of airplay around here because our rock stations insist on playing Bohemian Rhapsody 4 times a day per station. We're not saying they gotta go obscure. What we're saying is we dont need to hear Back in Black every damned day 5 times a day.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:44 am
God, I am sick and tired of hearing about stale music. The average radio listener wants to hear songs that they recognize. Back in the heyday of Top 40, some songs were on a 1 1/2 to 2 hour rotation. You folks would be sticking an ice pick in your ear. No programmer worth a damn would program a bunch of obscure album cuts, B-sides, and stiffs in regular programming to cater to a small group of music snobs. It just wouldn't work. It would be radio suicide. It is what it is.
Willie, we've been on this board a long time, and I think by now you know my feelings on deep cuts... They're like farts; you don't mind yours but don't wanna deal with someone else's. My point is that they need to move up a couple of years when it comes to selection. Leave most of the arena rock and stuff like that to CSX; let them do that era of classic rock. WLLZ calls themselves a new generation and plays the same 60s, 70s and early 80s songs that all other classic rock outlets in the city have burned to a crisp. Just live up to your name. I'd be willing to bet that those tuning in to hear Green Day, AIC, STP, Nirvana and Soundgarden tunes aren't all that hyped about Triumph deep cuts, and the same rule applies in the other direction.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 am

Playing something other than the same 150 songs everyday forever is not a "deep cut".
Are you trying to say that over a period of 40 years, there were only 150 hit rock songs?
😑

Music is my life.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:20 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:07 am
Playing something other than the same 150 songs everyday forever is not a "deep cut".
Are you trying to say that over a period of 40 years, there were only 150 hit rock songs?
😑
How anyone could defend the god awful programming in this city is beyond me.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am

Good news. I've just been appointed MD at "The New" WLLZ.

Here's what I'm going to do...

Every song that made the top 50 for the year on the Billboard Rock Charts is going to be in rotation. I'm starting with 1970 and going through 2000. That gives me 1,500 titles to play with.

A top ten from each decade will be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 11 to 20 from each decade with be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 21 to 30 will be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 31 to 50 will be spun each hour and put in a played list. Depending on inventory and traffic, additional spins for the hour are DJ's choice as long as it's a top 20 and then put into a played list. Any song must be out of rotation for at least two days prior to being put back into the available to play list.

Hope you enjoy!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am
Good news. I've just been appointed MD at "The New" WLLZ.

Here's what I'm going to do...

Every song that made the top 50 for the year on the Billboard Rock Charts is going to be in rotation. I'm starting with 1970 and going through 2000. That gives me 1,500 titles to play with.

A top ten from each decade will be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 11 to 20 from each decade with be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 21 to 30 will be spun each hour and put in a played list. A top 31 to 50 will be spun each hour and put in a played list. Depending on inventory and traffic, additional spins for the hour are DJ's choice as long as it's a top 20 and then put into a played list. Any song must be out of rotation for at least two days prior to being put back into the available to play list.

Hope you enjoy!
It’s too bad this is all fantasy. Great idea so let’s buy that station or any failing FM in this market like WGPR. Let’s call it Rock 107.5 but again it’s a fantasy.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 pm

I think some of the greats of Detroit Radio could make a comeback.

planet 96.3 would be a good one, as it was once on the 96.3-fm2 channel until it got dumped off.

Progress is one of those funny things..... WLLZ could do better but will they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:01 pm

A thought did occur to me about this today. When WAS the last time a new Active/Contemporary rock station started up here? I don't mean shit like Alt 106.7, either. Something akin to WRIF. Was it K-Rock, over 20 years ago? I guess it amazes me that "Detroit Rock City" and WRIF's respectable ratings and nobody dares try to go against it. 89x is a laughing stock. I'm honest to goodness having a hard time thinking of the last time a current rock station took to the airwaves here. Am I missing something?

-TurkeyTop

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 pm

I don’t think you’re missing anything

I can’t stand Dahmer and his idiotic dribble about the “club of the minute” that he comes up with or finds from some trash can.

Why csx has kept him on so long when public response to him has been horrid. I’m not talking people that are “radio people”, I’m talking listeners that I ask about it and they can’t deal with it either.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:01 pm
A thought did occur to me about this today. When WAS the last time a new Active/Contemporary rock station started up here? I don't mean shit like Alt 106.7, either. Something akin to WRIF. Was it K-Rock, over 20 years ago? I guess it amazes me that "Detroit Rock City" and WRIF's respectable ratings and nobody dares try to go against it. 89x is a laughing stock. I'm honest to goodness having a hard time thinking of the last time a current rock station took to the airwaves here. Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing something, Mega Hertz. Namely, the fact relevant, legitimate rock acts are few and far between over the past 20 years. It's why 1991 still sounds fresher than most stuff being generated and why the Foo Fighters are still considered a current act. Aside from Shinedown, and a small handful of others, there have been little added to the rock portfolio worth carrying on. And let's not forget where WRIF landed it's current morning show from... 89X was a very good station and WRIF needed to draw from it to sustain it's life (Kind of like the BORG planet). Of course, I remember the first time WRIF played Green Day; it was as if a foreign object was being shoved up WRIF's ass and they had to act as if they loved it. But it was the wave of the future and the station had to accept and embrace it, as Green Day outweighed Nugent, Motley Crue and Van Halen. Three dweebs, from San Bruno, KO'd Terrible Ted, Vince Neil and DLR. Let's face it, rock has been down for a number of years. Why on Earth would someone attempt to do a rock station now? What innovative trick would you have up your sleeve that will suddenly make rockers arise to great numbers? Nothing, I suspect... aside from the "my iPod fucking rocks". Yes, we all want to hear Fastway, Kings X and every band that woulda, coulda, shoulda. And, for the Wikipedia generation... "Detroit Rock City" shows up as a song title for KISS; a band who lost it's luster long before Grunge left it's mark on WRIF's recurrent playlist.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 pm

BigFreq wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:01 pm
Yes, you're missing something, Mega Hertz. Namely, the fact relevant, legitimate rock acts are few and far between over the past 20 years. It's why 1991 still sounds fresher than most stuff being generated and why the Foo Fighters are still considered a current act. Aside from Shinedown, and a small handful of others, there have been little added to the rock portfolio worth carrying on. And let's not forget where WRIF landed it's current morning show from... 89X was a very good station and WRIF needed to draw from it to sustain it's life (Kind of like the BORG planet). Of course, I remember the first time WRIF played Green Day; it was as if a foreign object was being shoved up WRIF's ass and they had to act as if they loved it. But it was the wave of the future and the station had to accept and embrace it, as Green Day outweighed Nugent, Motley Crue and Van Halen. Three dweebs, from San Bruno, KO'd Terrible Ted, Vince Neil and DLR. Let's face it, rock has been down for a number of years. Why on Earth would someone attempt to do a rock station now? What innovative trick would you have up your sleeve that will suddenly make rockers arise to great numbers? Nothing, I suspect... aside from the "my iPod fucking rocks". Yes, we all want to hear Fastway, Kings X and every band that woulda, coulda, shoulda. And, for the Wikipedia generation... "Detroit Rock City" shows up as a song title for KISS; a band who lost it's luster long before Grunge left it's mark on WRIF's recurrent playlist.
Pff. I won't argue one single point you made. I think fAuLT was the first newer rock station in all those years (which sucked, btw), and rock hasn't done shit in ages. It's all been the "Five Flavor Fruit Punch" type of rock, which sucks ass. New rock matters about as much as the dump I took after my morning coffee. Which really blows, because there's some good stuff out there that won't ever get a sniff. Melodic rock don't count no more; you need growling, compressed guitars, thumpy drums and shitty lyrics.

I guess that was, in a roundabout way, the point I was trying to make. Every rock station on the dial in the last 25 years has had to have Back In Black, Don't Stop Believin', and Dr. Feelgood on its playlist. I suppose with all the new ways to get it, you don't really need it on FM, do ya?

PS, I love Green Day. I'd love to hear more, but...LONGVIEW!

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 pm

RayQix wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 pm

planet 96.3 would be a good one, as it was once on the 96.3-fm2 channel until it got dumped off.

Speaking of which, does HD radio even exist any more?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:04 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
RayQix wrote:

It does exist, there are a few that I enjoy sometimes.

All HD2
94.7- oldies
95.5- older hip hop
98.7- smooth jazz
101.1- progressive rock
104.3- Oldies 104.3 format from 10-20 years ago
106.7- hd3 alternative rock

Not much else I’ve run across locally that I’ve stayed on for more than a minute or three

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:12 am

RayQix wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:04 am
RayQix wrote:

All HD2
94.7- oldies
95.5- older hip hop
98.7- smooth jazz
101.1- progressive rock

Not much else I’ve run across locally that I’ve stayed on for more than a minute or three

And what’s sad is that a lot of new cars don’t even HD radio available anymore. My incredibly loaded 2017 Impala Premier didn’t have it available but my 2014 Sierra did

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 am

RayQix wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:04 am
RayQix wrote:

All HD2
94.7- oldies
95.5- older hip hop
98.7- smooth jazz
101.1- progressive rock

HD Radio sub channels = Radio’s junkyards. HD Radio no one asked for it, no one wants it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic